Your preferred second or alternative bike?

Pedro

So, if you were to buy another bike today, to complement what you currently ride or just because you like it, what would it be?

I have gone through this, and am a little embrarassed to say it would be another BMW, either an HP2 Enduro or a newer R1200GS HP (non adventure), to be fitted with knobby tires and used with less care for it's well being. 

• Like 1

Beta was big here about 3 or 4 years ago, when they were selling capable enough bikes about 2 or 4 grand cheaper than anyone else. KTM rules northern Portugal along with Yamaha or Honda, depending on which dealership rules each nearest town, but somehow Beta managed to break through that. Must be tough bikes, otherwise these guys wouldn't go after them considering the rocky murderous terrain they ride on.

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

Beta was big here about 3 or 4 years ago, when they were selling capable enough bikes about 2 or 4 grand cheaper than anyone else. KTM rules northern Portugal along with Yamaha or Honda, depending on which dealership rules each nearest town, but somehow Beta managed to break through that. Must be tough bikes, otherwise these guys wouldn't go after them considering the rocky murderous terrain they ride on.

The Xtrainer is a bike in its own class there's nobody else making one like it. Its an enduro bike but with more of a trials bike tune low seat height and separate oil tank for the 2 stroke oil but i think all the beta's have that now and its over a £1000 cheaper than the 300RR i got to stop dreaming lol

I think I'm pretty much there. GS does the touring bit and pretty much anything else that I need, although the K12GT was more comfortable over distance, and way faster on the autobahns. GS is, for me, a bit heavy for trundling along tracks so I got the CCM for that sort of thing. I must confess that if it's just out locally it's now the goto choice. Anything longer, or decent roads and  it'll be the GS. Sport bikes and my back don't go together so have never been an option. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Specs said:

Lovely bike, but wrists and back say no for me.

I found the R really comfortable, I just don’t have space for two bikes so I had to let it go.

4 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I thought the bars would be uncomfortable but on the move the wind takes the weight off.

I had a bike like that once but on the move to take the weight off was 120mph LOL

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I've been really fancying a Beta X trainer for the more technical off road stuff near to where i live. Haven't owned a two stroke since the 80s have had a go on one and was very impressed

My boss just sold his Fred, if I'd known you were looking for one i'd have given you the nod.  He's just bought a Sherco 250 to replace it.

2 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

My boss just sold his Fred, if I'd known you were looking for one i'd have given you the nod.  He's just bought a Sherco 250 to replace it.

Cheers Bob if i was going to get one it would probably be a new one, have to get rid of a bike first though but i cant see that happening LOL 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Specs said:

Lovely bike, but wrists and back say no for me.

pretty much the same for me. The Thruxton was not that comfortable a decade ago when I almost bought one. 

1 hour ago, Gnomad said:

I still like the Himalayn, or something lighter than the Tiger for the sandy trails in our area. 

You can't use the words lighter and Himalayan in the same sentence lol for a small bike it's bloody heavy 191kg wet , they must still be making it of cast iron and its not the only one i'm finding a lot these small capacity scrambler type bikes are heavier than they look