Gay !! is it OK ?

boboneleg

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Gay people chose the word gay. I think in the 60s but Im not sure.

Well you’re kind of making my point for me, I said you think because you don’t any harm it doesn’t cause any but it can. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Gay people chose the word gay. I think in the 60s but Im not sure.

Well you’re kind of making my point for me, I said you think because you don’t any harm it doesn’t cause any but it can. 

Says the religious intolerant bint in the corner.

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Not true though Pete is it, some words are offensive. They become offensive because they get used as insults to put another group down. That’s how language works. 

Like six said calling someone a fat cunt is just words but they are offensive words. 

You must be able to grasp that using a word as an insult brings with it negative connotations?

And if you want some bias to get your hair off over, here’s some- it’s often old white men that won’t take a look at things around them because it doesn’t suit them to, they don’t like change and often love flexing by saying lots of un pc stuff to demonstrate they’re tough and won’t have anyone telling them what they can and can’t say, thats all fine and dandy but you only attract other people who also think that way. 

Everyone else, the non vocal ones who get shut down for being a ‘snowflake’ or ‘woke’ just vote with their feet and you get sidelined.

When Bob started this thread I thought whats the point you’ll all agree with other like minded people that you’re right.

Back slapping gay insults will fly and everyone congratulates each other on how great and edgy they are using words other people find offensive. 

TBH I find it a bit boring and I’m guessing a lot of the people who post and disappear do to. 

• Like 1

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Thought I hit the mark with that one 😆

You might not want to air your weak spots on here you mad old sod 😝

I can take it, so to speak. You on the other hand, well let's face it, you're a two faced cowbag. You try to pretend that everyone else is prejudiced but the reality is you can't get past your own. That's called hypocrisy. 

Just now, Buckster said:

I can take it, so to speak. You on the other hand, well let's face it, you're a two faced cowbag. You try to pretend that everyone else is prejudiced but the reality is you can't get past your own. That's called hypocrisy. 

Rahahaa. Is that your best? Try harder. 

I’m not pretending everyone is prejudiced. If it pissed me off I wouldn’t be here would I.

I’m trying to explain why some people do find it offensive. 

Me simply trying to explain it seems to be too much for some to bear. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I’m not pretending everyone is prejudiced. If it pissed me off I wouldn’t be here would I.

Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Back slapping gay insults will fly and everyone congratulates each other on how great and edgy they are using words other people find offensive. 

TBH I find it a bit boring and I’m guessing a lot of the people who post and disappear do to. 

Isn't that what freedom of choice is about though? people have the same freedom to consider it offensive as Pete has to consider it unoffensive.  or do some people have more freedom than others? 

you are free to come and go as you please, If I find myself in a place i'm not comfortabe with, I leave. I also strongly believe in the phrase attributed to Voltaire ( but I think t was actually written by somebody else) " I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" .  nobody should have the power to shut down somebody else's views simply because they don't agreethem, be they green , blue, red, black, left, right, straight, L,B, G,T Q, you, me, the Pope or Mullah Omar. if you don't like it, you are free to voice your dislike, or just go somewhere else but don't try to impose your view.  One man's freedom ends where another's starts, imposing your views, whover you may be is encroaching on someone elses freedom which is what boils my piss when people rave on about their "freedom" or "Right" to be this or do that which involves riding roughshod or the freedom or rights of others to think, live and be who THEY want. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Where will the censorship end though once we are banned from using this word what will be next

i like this speech by Rowan Atkinson because its bloody true

Thats very good. Usually when people start banging on about free speech they usually ruin it by saying something nasty but that was great. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

When Bob started this thread I thought whats the point you’ll all agree with other like minded people that you’re right.

I started the thread because we were wrecking the guy's pannier thread.  You seemed to want to tell everyone why it's uncool to say gay so I gave you your platform

elmo-sesame-street.gif.39f809318cfd3668dcfcfe877fd904b6.gif

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I understand what your saying and agree it can be offensive to some but none of those some are on this forum and if they were and let themselves be known i'd say that the gay ribbing would cease from all as a matter of respect to them, all except Buckster that is :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

I started the thread because we were wrecking the guy's pannier thread.  You seemed to want to tell everyone why it's uncool to say gay so I gave you your platform

Why did you have to pick a night when she was on the sauce?

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I understand what your saying and agree it can be offensive to some but none of those sum are on this forum and if they were and let themselves be known i'd say that the gay ribbing would cease from all as a matter of respect to them all except Buckster that is :classic_laugh:

Ponce.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, MooN said:

Isn't that what freedom of choice is about though?

you are free to come and go as you please, If I find myself in a place i'm not comfortabe with, I leave. I also strongly believe in the phrase attributed to Voltaire ( but I think t was actually written by somebody else) " I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" .  nobody should have the power to shut down somebody else's views simply because they don't agreethem, be they green , blue, red, black, left, right, straight, L,B, G,T Q, you, me, the Pope or Mullah Omar. if you don't like it, you are free to voice your dislike, or just go somewhere else but don't try to impose your view.  One man's freedom ends where another's starts, imposing your views, whover you may be is encroaching on someone elses freedom which is what boils my piss when people rave on about their "freedom" or "Right" to be this or do that which involves riding roughshod or the freedom or rights of others to think, live and be who THEY want. 

There’s always a danger when trying to explain something that people find contentious that they will think it’s your point of view and you’re trying to take something away from them or impose rules on them. 

All I’ve done is explain why some people find it offensive and they vote with their feet. I did also say I find it boring but I just scroll past it.

I’m not some vesicle for people to dump their frustrations of modern life on. I trying to help people understand why other generations don’t like it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

There’s always a danger when trying to explain something that people find contentious that they will think it’s your point of view and you’re trying to take something away from them or impose rules on them. 

All I’ve done is explain why some people find it offensive and they vote with their feet. I did also say I find it boring but I just scroll past it.

I’m not some vesicle for people to take out their frustrations of modern life on. I trying to help people understand why other generations don’t like it. 

whats a vesicle .... like some sort of vehicle ?

10 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Thanks Bob but if I’d wanted a proper conversation about whether using gay as insult was ok or not I wouldn't bother doing it on here cos the outcome is a forgone conclusion, it’ll kick off the freedom of speech stuff I thought (and it did) and I’ll get insulted for offering a different view point. 

I was saying something on the other thread that because it didn’t fit with others beliefs you pulled out and turned into something.

Everyone else’s gay stuff didn’t cause that reaction cos the majority here find it acceptable. The guy who who started that thread said he found it a bit homophobic.