Off Road Benley

Saul

I love this.  Back in the day when I used to do a little of that, one of my mates couldn't afford a dirt bike and went everywhere with us on his Yamaha RXS100 with an old knobbly on it.  This video reminded of that, in fact I had almost forgotten about it. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2023 at 16:07, Saul said:

I love this.  Back in the day when I used to do a little of that, one of my mates couldn't afford a dirt bike and went everywhere with us on his Yamaha RXS100 with an old knobbly on it.  This video reminded of that, in fact I had almost forgotten about it. 

Just goes to prove you don’t t need the latest ‘official adventure bike’ to have an off road adventure. In fact, I’m more impressed by this sort of thing than watching an overweight, overpriced lump of plastic and metal, with aluminium luggage still attached and the rider stood on the pegs on a perfectly flat, hard packed gravel track.

Let’s have more of this sort of nonsense……right, I’m off to find a cheap, inappropriate motorbike that I can thrash up and down the local tracks…….🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Haven't had a whole lot of off road bikes but the dry was a cracking bike in the dirt. Far better than my ability but I had the most fun on the xl250s.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Skippy said:

Just goes to prove you don’t t need the latest ‘official adventure bike’ to have an off road adventure. In fact, I’m more impressed by this sort of thing than watching an overweight, overpriced lump of plastic and metal, with aluminium luggage still attached and the rider stood on the pegs on a perfectly flat, hard packed gravel track.

Let’s have more of this sort of nonsense……right, I’m off to find a cheap, inappropriate motorbike that I can thrash up and down the local tracks…….🤣🤣

I've thought about this many times but I've come to the conclusion that old bikes like that would just be a pain to trail ride for any length of time.  Drum brakes, skinny forks , 6V electrics , I could go on...........

I'll stick to my CRF250, starts first time every time, stops and steers decently even if the operator is prone to bending a few things .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I've thought about this many times but I've come to the conclusion that old bikes like that would just be a pain to trail ride for any length of time.  Drum brakes, skinny forks , 6V electrics , I could go on...........

I'll stick to my CRF250, starts first time every time, stops and steers decently even if the operator is prone to bending a few things .

I can see what you say Bob , but it does look like Nathan was having fun in that video with his Benly. I would like to do one of his tours in the summer, perhaps with his Aussie post bikes, looks a blast.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I know what you mean Bob, on a personal level I’m all for making things easy for myself and that’s because I’m very aware of my ability limits and technical know-how.

Im just impressed by people that do things differently, not always better but always different. 😆

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

Haven't had a whole lot of off road bikes but the dry was a cracking bike in the dirt. Far better than my ability but I had the most fun on the xl250s.

Fuckin spell check, DRZ not bloody dry:classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I used to have great fun trail riding one of these many years ago one of the ugliest bikes in the world but it was reliable and good on fuel 
image.png.19aca7d7c27c339ae43054998a3646d5.png

Oh I do like an ETZ, I would love an old MZ 250 Supa 5.   Ring ting ting tough.  😎

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saul said:

Oh I do like an ETZ, I would love an old MZ 250 Supa 5.   Ring ting ting tough.  😎

The one i had was my brothers, i found out a few years after i gave it back to him he had scrapped it, didn't even ask if i wanted it the twat.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I had a mate who had a Supa 5 with a Polaris fairing on it, I always thought is was as cool as.   Several of my mates had Simpsons, when I was a sixteener you either got an R reg Moped (Fizzie or AP50) or  new Simpson.  It was amazing how much abuse those Simpsons took.   MZ's are in the group of odd old shit that I like.  

• Like 2

Just now, Saul said:

I had a mate who had a Supa 5 with a Polaris fairing on it, I always thought is was as cool as.   Several of my mates had Simpsons, when I was a sixteener you either got an R reg Moped (Fizzie or AP50) or  new Simpson.  It was amazing how much abuse those Simpsons took.   MZ's are in the group of odd old shit that I like.  

My mate had a BSA C15 when i had the MZ, on the flat they were equally matched and we had great fun racing each other along deserted single track mountain roads but when we hit a hill the MZ would piss all over his C15 :classic_laugh:

• Like 2

To be honest when we were all on 250's the MZ was mostly a match for the 4 stroke jap stuff, XS250, GSX250 and Honda G5/Dream/Super Dream.   Not close to jap two strokes though.   I also had a mate with a C15, when he was mostly fixing rather than riding.  Sounded good when it was going but that wasn't often.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First bike I ever rode was a Honda CM200 which was based on a 200cc Benly. The picture below is the same type.

We were in the local park, in the middle of some grass at about 10pm. I did everything my mate told me except put it in gear, so when I opened the throttle, let the clutch out and picked my feet up I just went over sideways and lay there gurgling under it. My second attempt saw me riding in a giant circle changing gear with no clutch and kangarooing finally to a stop.

image.png.1342e3d8d78bafb0174afb741ba88ea4.png

• Haha 5