Not loving my new bike

GentlyBentley

1 hour ago, Tango said:

What about a Hinckley Triumph Bonneville? Are you looking at a new bike or secondhand? Obviously a new Bonneville will be a bit more than the XSR700, but you may get a decent trade-in. 

Also, what about the new Kawasaki z650rs? Retro styling in a modern package. 

Get plenty of test rides in before making any decision.  😎

That z650rs looks the business in the flesh.

• Like 2

Update: So this morning I took the XSR in for its first service. I spoke to the salesman and voiced my feelings about the bike. He said they could probably buy the bike back from me and would come up with a best price later in the day.

Meanwhile, they gave me a courtesy bike (MT-07) and I took a trip over to the nearby Royal Enfield dealers and had a test ride on the 350 Classic (took a pic on the test ride). I loved it! and that is so clearly the bike I should have bought in the first place - especially as it's half the price of mine!

Unfortunately both the Yamaha and the Royal Enfield dealers couldn't offer me more than £6K for my bike - that's a full £2K less than I paid for it! I was very shocked and disappointed. It's all about what they could sell it for, as against a new one. I understand their position but I'm gutted to find my mistake is so much more costly than I had feared. I guessed I'd lose a thousand in a few weeks but not two thousand!

So rather than just accept that and make another impetuous mistake (I so wanted to put a deposit on the 350 Classic) I have decided to wait a bit. Apparently I've already taken the biggest depreciation hit so I could wait some months - even a year - and they would offer me the same price for my bike. So I might as well use the extra performance of mine while I have it and consider the Royal Enfield in the not too distant future.

Interestingly, on the journey home the XSR felt a bit more comfortable, a bit easier and looser (maybe due to the service) and I took a detour to the coast. So while I do intend to get the Royal Enfield as soon as I can, at least I feel a bit better about the XSR for now.

Thanks all for your advice. This is a great forum! Cheers!

IMG_6012 2.jpeg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, GentlyBentley said:

Update: So this morning I took the XSR in for its first service. I spoke to the salesman and voiced my feelings about the bike. He said they could probably buy the bike back from me and would come up with a best price later in the day.

Meanwhile, they gave me a courtesy bike (MT-07) and I took a trip over to the nearby Royal Enfield dealers and had a test ride on the 350 Classic (took a pic on the test ride). I loved it! and that is so clearly the bike I should have bought in the first place - especially as it's half the price of mine!

Unfortunately both the Yamaha and the Royal Enfield dealers couldn't offer me more than £6K for my bike - that's a full £2K less than I paid for it! I was very shocked and disappointed. It's all about what they could sell it for, as against a new one. I understand their position but I'm gutted to find my mistake is so much more costly than I had feared. I guessed I'd lose a thousand in a few weeks but not two thousand!

So rather than just accept that and make another impetuous mistake (I so wanted to put a deposit on the 350 Classic) I have decided to wait a bit. Apparently I've already taken the biggest depreciation hit so I could wait some months - even a year - and they would offer me the same price for my bike. So I might as well use the extra performance of mine while I have it and consider the Royal Enfield in the not too distant future.

Interestingly, on the journey home the XSR felt a bit more comfortable, a bit easier and looser (maybe due to the service) and I took a detour to the coast. So while I do intend to get the Royal Enfield as soon as I can, at least I feel a bit better about the XSR for now.

IMG_6012 2.jpeg

Yeh.....get some use out of the Yam for a while!

And as it is the weather is probably going to take a turn for the worse there soon. so you may not get much chance to ride a new one now!

• Like 3

Tyres will make a big difference to how a bike feels, i remember many years ago having a bike with Avon tyres on it, when riding you had to force it to change direction  with the bars i thought this was normal for the bike and wasn't too happy with it but after i changed to a set of Michelins after the Avon's wore out it transformed the bike it handled totally different it would just fall into the corners on its own and the bike felt light and nimble, me forcing it into a corner like i had to with the Avon's almost had me off when i first fitted them,
after you've put a few hundred miles on the tyres the bike might loosen up Also check the pressures.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GentlyBentley said:

IMG_6012 2.jpeg

that is a nice looking bike G B

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

So GB is there a photo of  the XSR or do we have another Skyrider on our hands :classic_laugh:

Not sure what you mean by Skyrider but my profile pic shows my XSR.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GentlyBentley said:

Not sure what you mean by Skyrider but my profile pic shows my XSR.

we are still waiting to see a photo of skyrider's bike and he's been on here over a year :classic_laugh: We cant see your profile picture properly we need a full size one 😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

we are still waiting to see a photo of skyrider's bike and he's been on here over a year :classic_laugh: We cant see your profile picture properly we need a full size one 😉

Ah I see. Here you go then! My 2022 Yamaha XSR700. Just 3 weeks old and a little over 800 miles on the clock. First service done this morning.

IMG_5989.jpeg

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, GentlyBentley said:

Ah I see. Here you go then! My 2022 Yamaha XSR700. Just 3 weeks old and a little over 800 miles on the clock. First service done this morning.

IMG_5989.jpeg

Nice looking bike!

• Like 1

And in case anyone's interested, this is my 1980 Suzuki ZR50X1. Bought new when I was just 16, ridden hard for a year (until I turned 17 and got a CB250N Superdream!)  and been kept all these years. For the last two years it's been back on the road in all its 30mph, all original glory!

IMG_4711.JPG

• Like 6

1 minute ago, GentlyBentley said:

And in case anyone's interested, this is my 1980 Suzuki ZR50X1. Bought new when I was just 16, ridden hard for a year (until I turned 17 and got a CB250N Superdream!)  and been kept all these years. For the last two years it's been back on the road in all its 30mph, all original glory!

IMG_4711.JPG

You've owned it for 42 years? That's amazing!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

You've owned it for 42 years? That's amazing!

Yes. For some reason (probably laziness) I never got around to selling it so it just stayed in my parents' garage until I got my own house, then it lived with me where I got it back up and running and road legal again. It's very slow but a lot of fun. Makes me feel 16 again!

• Like 3

Just now, GentlyBentley said:

Yes. For some reason (probably laziness) I never got around to selling it so it just stayed in my parents' garage until I got my own house, then it lived with me where I got it back up and running and road legal again. It's very slow but a lot of fun. Makes me feel 16 again!

Probably worth a good few quid now!

• Like 1

Just now, XTreme said:

Probably worth a good few quid now!

Yes, in good original condition (although mine's not perfect) it could fetch around £5K. Not a bad profit considering it cost £400 new! 🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GentlyBentley said:

Yes, in good original condition (although mine's not perfect) it could fetch around £5K. Not a bad profit considering it cost £400 new! 🤣

I remember buying a new Suzuki GT380J in April 1973......£375 otr. Those were the days!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GentlyBentley said:

IMG_5989.jpeg

Bit of coastline there, where is that?

• Like 1

Hey friends! Strange thing...took the XSR out for a nice run to the coast today...and had a really great ride! Thoroughly enjoyed it. It felt lighter, less awkward, I felt more confident and at one with it, I was banking it properly into the bends, I enjoyed blasting past slow traffic. On the way home I enjoyed it even more! It's all since the first service. The bike feels more like it's mine. My bike. Could it be that I'm getting used to it and (dare I say it) starting to love it? Certainly makes me feel better about buying it and (for now) keeping it. 😊

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GentlyBentley said:

Hey friends! Strange thing...took the XSR out for a nice run to the coast today...and had a really great ride! Thoroughly enjoyed it. It felt lighter, less awkward, I felt more confident and at one with it, I was banking it properly into the bends, I enjoyed blasting past slow traffic. On the way home I enjoyed it even more! It's all since the first service. The bike feels more like it's mine. My bike. Could it be that I'm getting used to it and (dare I say it) starting to love it? Certainly makes me feel better about buying it and (for now) keeping it. 😊

It can take a while to gel with a bike......especially if you spent a long time on the previous one.

I find that as we get older the more difficult it is to adapt to change.....so I'd give it more time and do a few more miles!

Personally I think swapping that for an RE would be a bad move!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GentlyBentley said:

Thats lovely news. Perhaps it was just a bit of adjustment needed both of the bike and the change in pace 😊

• Like 3