Coolant expansion tank cleaning

I flushed the cooling system on my old Africa Twin this week, when i drained the expansion tank it stayed blue up to the high level line so wouldn't have known if it was low just by looking at it. I started thinking of ways i could clean it, went through the wife's cleaning cupboard and after trying a few different detergents unsuccessfully i found this stuff

IMG_9283.thumb.JPG.2f035c5f0e9c82c4d109b0097b1e180e.JPG

Its quite a coarse power so got an idea of how it might work, poured some into the expansion tank added some hot water and spent the next few minutes shaking it vigorously and to my surprise the stain started to disappear flushed it out with hot water and repeated the process. I think i got a good result with it, i just wish i had a before photo to show how bad it was.

IMG_9284.thumb.JPG.3c2b4478e04da18a2f5fe36b7a18075a.JPG

IMG_9285.thumb.JPG.c888d81c834773f1cae2b1b6b1518db8.JPG

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I flushed the cooling system on my old Africa Twin this week, when i drained the expansion tank it stayed blue up to the high level line so wouldn't have known if it was low just by looking at it. I started thinking of ways i could clean it, went through the wife's cleaning cupboard and after trying a few different detergents unsuccessfully i found this stuff

IMG_9283.thumb.JPG.2f035c5f0e9c82c4d109b0097b1e180e.JPG

Its quite a coarse power so got an idea of how it might work, poured some into the expansion tank added some hot water and spent the next few minutes shaking it vigorously and to my surprise the stain started to disappear flushed it out with hot water and repeated the process. I think i got a good result with it, i just wish i had a before photo to show how bad it was.

IMG_9284.thumb.JPG.3c2b4478e04da18a2f5fe36b7a18075a.JPG

IMG_9285.thumb.JPG.c888d81c834773f1cae2b1b6b1518db8.JPG

I think I had my AT about 5 years before I realised there is an inspection hole under the rear mudguard to check the expansion tank level. I used to take the side panel off.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, XTreme said:

Doesn't leave any residue behind though does it Fred?

No it just dissolves in the water that's why i think i had to repeat it and i washed it out shaking vigorously each time about 20 times with clean water

• Like 1

20 hours ago, yen_powell said:

I think I had my AT about 5 years before I realised there is an inspection hole under the rear mudguard to check the expansion tank level. I used to take the side panel off.

I think i was like that as well lol