Grasshopper's Rolling Path

Grasshopper

On 17/12/2022 at 00:48, Grasshopper said:

I figure everyone here is tired of me, but I'm having fun and at least I stick to my own thread so as to not bother anyone who isn't interested....lol

Had an amazing drive today through the Rocky Mountains, epic views and breathtaking scenery all the way.

Into a new province today, and a new time zone, which means we lost an hour too.

Tonight we are in stunningly beautiful Canmore, Alberta. ❄️😊

IMG_3465.jpeg

IMG_3479.jpeg

IMG_3471.jpeg

IMG_3481.jpeg

who else thought of the Shining

• Haha 3

Just now, Pedro said:

Adventure, that’s the word you want. Otherwise it’s just silly.

Adventure, silly, lethal, fun, stressful, happy, sad.....all of the above.  I find living on the road and travelling is wonderful in serving up all the emotions, sometimes all in one day.  😆

Regardless, I know what you are saying and for me the feeling of being truly alive is what counts. 😉

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Grasshopper said:

Adventure, silly, lethal, fun, stressful, happy, sad.....all of the above.  I find living on the road and travelling is wonderful in serving up all the emotions, sometimes all in one day.  😆

Regardless, I know what you are saying and for me the feeling of being truly alive is what counts. 😉

they wouldn't understand Michele  ... being on the road in a van ,

if you know , you know .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My day went like this....

Vehicle started in -23c weather :classic_biggrin:

Drove 500kms and saw lots and lots and lots of white stuff....everything just white, up down and all around :classic_blink: <insert twitching>

Entered into another new Province, Saskatchewan 👩‍🌾

Lost another hour across another time line 🕰️

Made it safely to destination and now for some pics...

Baby Reaction GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Today was a super cold start again at -25c, but start we did.  The 4Runner struggled today, but he got going, the van seemed to have it a bit easier.  

It was a beautiful sunrise as we started the day.  The van looks like it is driving into the sun...🌞

IMG_3482.jpeg

Dec18.jpeg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Today was a super cold start again at -25c, but start we did.  The 4Runner struggled today, but he got going, the van seemed to have it a bit easier.  

It was a beautiful sunrise as we started the day.  The van looks like it is driving into the sun...🌞

IMG_3482.jpeg

Dec18.jpeg

-25C?

Those roads must be really dangerous?

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

-25C?

It depends Pete... If they can get the roads down down to the tar mack... The snow won't stick to it... It just blows over at those temps... The only dangers are white outs... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XTreme said:

What are those?

At those temp the snow behaves like... Almost like dust or talken powder.. If the winds pick it up.. You can run and a few km down the road and run in to a clowd... you loose sight of everything.... 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Marcel said:

At those temp the snow behaves like... Almost like dust or talken powder.. If the winds pick it up.. You can run and a few km down the road and run in to a clowd... you loose sight of everything.... 

Wow! We've never experienced anything like that over here!

Michelle is in artic weather wright now... Funny how it works in Canada.. The west coast and the east coast are relatively mild... After you pass the mountains... Jet stream and cold air being denser it acts like a bowl and sucks cold artic air from the artic... 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, XTreme said:

-25C?

As @Marcel was saying the white outs are scary and for a few days that is all we had to deal with.  Once we got the vehicles turned over it was clear roads but super windy and lots of dry blowing snow.  The fun part is when the semi trucks decide to pass you, kicking up more snow and you basically lose all visibility for a few seconds.

Today on the other hand was a "check your pants" kind of day.  💩  The snow was getting compacted and turning into ice.  I had two occasions where I almost lost it and started going sideways, but recovered.  Scared the poop out of me, thankfully my motorcycle experience on snow helped me recover.

Now there is a snow storm coming to the area we are driving into and so between that and fatigue we have decided to stay in one place for a few days.  Short drive tomorrow and then a break for a few days. 😴🙂

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

...so besides the scary road conditions and almost going sideways a few times today, there was this..... 😬🔥

WTF....is there something wrong with the van?

1927132862_smoke1.thumb.jpeg.29c752f8c861b7ba1cd039fc0886bbd6.jpeg

.....thank goodness no, just this big truck on fire ready to blow up as I drive by.....:thud:

1819466191_smoke2.thumb.jpeg.767596209935a6ecd40a4425f9c6ad2a.jpeg

1422725964_smoke3.thumb.jpeg.0daadede4f5bbf5d89e4646122612cd8.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

...so besides the scary road conditions and almost going sideways a few times today, there was this..... 😬🔥

WTF....is there something wrong with the van?

1927132862_smoke1.thumb.jpeg.29c752f8c861b7ba1cd039fc0886bbd6.jpeg

.....thank goodness no, just this big truck on fire ready to blow up as I drive by.....:thud:

1819466191_smoke2.thumb.jpeg.767596209935a6ecd40a4425f9c6ad2a.jpeg

1422725964_smoke3.thumb.jpeg.0daadede4f5bbf5d89e4646122612cd8.jpeg

This is dangerous stuff Michelle......be careful!

• Thanks 1

When my brother passed away in 2013 I flew into Calgary rented a car and drove to Manitoba to identify and to bring him home... It was summer... All I can remember from the trip is that it's extremely flat.. No trees.. Nothing... Nothing upon thousand of km of farmers fields... I won't never want to live there.... 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Blimey @Grasshopper that's not the fun stuff! Being in a moving vehicle when visibility is reduced to zero is scary. Last time that happened to me was two or three years ago on the motorway, some 🤬 had set fire to something LARGE next to the motorway and thick smoke suddenly dramatically reduced visability to zero for some distance. Apart from wondering whether I was heading into a fire with my sons in the car there's the added fear that braking hard is going to cause another vehicle to career into you, you can no longer distinguish the lanes but can't stop because you'd choke and a U turn on the motorway, well err nope.

Did make me think the Highway Code should offer guidance one way carriageway driving in unexpected zero visibility so at least you'd know everyone has slowed to an advised 2mph for example. It also made me think about the lack of any fire training, like most people are unaware if their vehicle catches fire in a tunnel they are supposed to try and drive it out - yeah right!

I've been up a mountain skiing more than once when there was a total white out and it was ok because each time I was following someone who lived there and knew the pistes back to front but if I'd been on my tod like you were on those slippery roads brrrrrrr. 

Good on ya, hope you get that feeling alive thing out of it!

Some restorative baking maybe on the cards 😆

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Blimey @Grasshopper that's not the fun stuff! Being in a moving vehicle when visibility is reduced to zero is scary. Last time that happened to me was two or three years ago on the motorway, some 🤬 had set fire to something LARGE next to the motorway and thick smoke suddenly dramatically reduced visability to zero for some distance. Apart from wondering whether I was heading into a fire with my sons in the car there's the added fear that braking hard is going to cause another vehicle to career into you, you can no longer distinguish the lanes but can't stop because you'd choke and a U turn on the motorway, well err nope.

Did make me think the Highway Code should offer guidance one way carriageway driving in unexpected zero visibility so at least you'd know everyone has slowed to an advised 2mph for example. It also made me think about the lack of any fire training, like most people are unaware if their vehicle catches fire in a tunnel they are supposed to try and drive it out - yeah right!

I've been up a mountain skiing more than once when there was a total white out and it was ok because each time I was following someone who lived there and knew the pistes back to front but if I'd been on my tod like you were on those slippery roads brrrrrrr. 

Good on ya, hope you get that feeling alive thing out of it!

Some restorative baking maybe on the cards 😆

Is that what happened with the gravel trap as well ?

• Haha 2