KTM 690 Enduro: exhaust modifications

I need to reduce the temperature of the exhaust system on my 2012 KTM 690 Enduro so that I can run rackless luggage. The 690 with stock exhaust generates an insane amount of heat which exceeds the specs of standard heat shields. So one option is to engineer a Mad Max style heavy duty heat shield. Another is option is to get an aftermarket exhaust, which I would have done a long time ago if I had the cash, but I don't. The final option I'm looking at is removing the catalytic converter from my stock exhaust - and that last option is what I'd appreciate input on. 

Has anyone removed the cat from a 690 enduro stock exhaust and actually run the bike after??

If so, I would love to hear from you, because what I really want to know is whether I'll need to remap. The bike is far, far away from a KTM dealer who can remap it for me, so if I pull out the catalytic converter and the bike doesn't run properly, I'm toast. So I'm seeking a definite answer rather than best guesses on this one. 

I found one guy who pulled the cat out of the stock exhaust but he then never ran the bike with that exhaust (this dude: http://690enduror.blogspot.com/2014/11/decatting-690-enduro-r-stock-exhaust.html ). I found another guy over on advrider in a posting from 2014, "dogday", who not only pulled the cat out but also did some further remodeling of the baffles etc, which muddies the waters somewhat (I don't know if he had to remap and he seems to have disappeared off the forum). If there's information out there that I've missed, please point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

8.jpg

• Like 2

I wouldn't do it without a remap. It might run ok but there is a change it will run too lean.

There must have modern offroad teams and shops willing to help, you will probably find a capable alternative to a dealer.

It will need a remap as it will have less back pressure. However the injection system would adapt to some degree over about 500 km.

Of all the riders I know with 690's I don't think a single one of them has got the original silencer fitted, nearly all of them have Akra's or Wings silencers but wether or not they've removed the cat I'm not sure.

I know that you can't mess with the very latest models too much without going to a KTM dealer as they have locked them down , a lot like all of the latest model bikes.

You might get a better answer here............

https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/forums/off-road-enduro.94/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Buckster said:

It will need a remap as it will have less back pressure. However the injection system would adapt to some degree over about 500 km.

I know that Wings make a de-catted exhaust that doesn't require remapping. Do you have any idea what are they doing differently to compensate? And whether I might be able to emulate that with some modification?

12 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Of all the riders I know with 690's I don't think a single one of them has got the original silencer fitted, nearly all of them have Akra's or Wings silencers but wether or not they've removed the cat I'm not sure.

I know that you can't mess with the very latest models too much without going to a KTM dealer as they have locked them down , a lot like all of the latest model bikes.

You might get a better answer here............

https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/forums/off-road-enduro.94/

Yeah I think I'm the only peasant still running a stock exhaust. Would have loved to have been able to afford the weight reduction and heat reduction of an akro or wings but I don't have the spare cash. I keep asking people for information about decatting and they just tell me to spend money I don't have ? 

I'll check out that forum, thank you!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Pedro said:

I wouldn't do it without a remap. It might run ok but there is a change it will run too lean.

There must have modern offroad teams and shops willing to help, you will probably find a capable alternative to a dealer.

Many enthusiastic people here in Cambodia, but not so many with the special plug to remap a 690 Enduro, I fear.

If the objective is to lower the temperature you need to get rid of the cat, there is no way around it. If you're replacing a cat with something that creates the same amount of back pressure you might as well keep it stock. Find somewhere that can remap the bike, and change the exhaust or just replace the cat with a straight pipe if that is an option on your bike, there's no way around it.