Trinity Buoy Wharf

yen_powell

In the car today.

Tucked away in Blackwall is Trinity Bouy Wharf. Today it was cold and empty. After a Mini Fat Boy, (a breakfast consisting of pancakes, syrup, fried egg, sausage, bacon, hashbrown and a mug of tea) in the old American diner I saw that the lighthouse was open so popped up to take some pics.

The dark blue grandad estate car is mine, known as Moby Dick due to its length and slow speed.

20220123_121306.jpg

20220123_121322.jpg

20220123_121404.jpg

20220123_121408.jpg

20220123_121411.jpg

20220123_121429.jpg

20220123_121534.jpg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, yen_powell said:

In the car today.

Tucked away in Blackwall is Trinity Bouy Wharf. Today it was cold and empty. After a Mini Fat Boy, (a breakfast consisting of pancakes, syrup, fried egg, sausage, bacon, hashbrown and a mug of tea) in the old American diner I saw that the lighthouse was open so popped up to take some pics.

The dark blue grandad estate car is mine, known as Moby Dick due to its length and slow speed.

20220123_121306.jpg

20220123_121322.jpg

20220123_121404.jpg

20220123_121408.jpg

20220123_121411.jpg

20220123_121429.jpg

20220123_121534.jpg

Great quality pics Yen......but it looks pretty bleak there!

12 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Great quality pics Yen......but it looks pretty bleak there!

Grim is the word here. The birthplace of West Ham United and they built some early iron and steel battleships here. I was just visiting a short length of footway outside. When the developer removed his hoarding around their new town houses for me to start building a new footway I discovered they had constructed their own private drainage system on the public highway and there were wooden lids scattered about for all the manholes. I told the contractor to put the new kerbs in, chuck down and compact some type 1 and to then put temporary black top over it to make it safe then to leave the site. I called the developer and told them I was stopping work pending an investigation into the potentially illegal works. Just wanted to see how far the contractor had got, seems the black top isn't done yet.

20220123_120609.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, yen_powell said:

In the car today.

20220123_121306.jpg

20220123_121322.jpg

20220123_121404.jpg

20220123_121408.jpg

20220123_121411.jpg

20220123_121429.jpg

20220123_121534.jpg

i bet it felt cool for those people up there

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Some weird shit there Yen......what's that "Aqua Gill" supposed to be?

No idea, but it looks like it moves if you can start the engine, same with the cyclist on the chain and the flappy winged character. I have the email address of the man who runs the place, I'll try and find out when the stuff is next going to run.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Is that really 11 manhole covers?

Yes, they carry on behind where I was standing AND away into the distance behind the part still hoarded section. There will be more lid than footway if it is allowed to remain. I have a picture of one being built and the ground worker's nose is level with the footway level so they are reasonably deep as well.

I also only noticed the balconies over the footway when I looked at the picture. Something else you can't do without an oversailing licence. My mate was standing under one when the resident was washing its floor with a mop and bucket. He got a head covered in bleachy water as it ran out of the corner drain.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Yes, they carry on behind where I was standing AND away into the distance behind the part still hoarded section. There will be more lid than footway if it is allowed to remain. I have a picture of one being built and the ground worker's nose is level with the footway level so they are reasonably deep as well.

I also only noticed the balconies over the footway when I looked at the picture. Something else you can't do without an oversailing licence. My mate was standing under one when the resident was washing its floor with a mop and bucket. He got a head covered in bleachy water as it ran out of the corner drain.

I don’t understand, why so many? And how does that happen? At what level is the “oh yeh that’ll be alright” bullshit occurring? Surely that’s not on the plans? 

4 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I don’t understand, why so many? And how does that happen? At what level is the “oh yeh that’ll be alright” bullshit occurring? Surely that’s not on the plans? 

Well the plans should have been looked at and approved by the Planning Dept and then by Building Control. And maybe they were and this was deemed to be okay. The investigation might throw some light on to this.

This picture was sent to show me that some concrete was used when I asked about the surround, there are pipes emerging from the new building in quite a few places as you can see. I have no idea what they all are. I have no idea if what was put back to bring the levels back up to footway level have been layered and compacted properly either. Plus you can't dig up the Highway, even behind a hoarding, without all the necessary permits and permissions and I know for definite that hasn't happened.

It's a clusterfuck as Mr Eastwood would say.

image.png.e25cebd561d5ef840f67e662f4e1fde4.png

image.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Well the plans should have been looked at and approved by the Planning Dept and then by Building Control. And maybe they were and this was deemed to be okay. The investigation might throw some light on to this.

This picture was sent to show me that some concrete was used when I asked about the surround, there are pipes emerging from the new building in quite a few places as you can see. I have no idea what they all are. I have no idea if what was put back to bring the levels back up to footway level have been layered and compacted properly either. Plus you can't dig up the Highway, even behind a hoarding, without all the necessary permits and permissions and I know for definite that hasn't happened.

It's a clusterfuck as Mr Eastwood would say.

image.png.e25cebd561d5ef840f67e662f4e1fde4.png

image.png

The first thing that first came to mind was how will the pavement be supported with that many holes in it, some poor sod will be innocently wandering down the road before disappearing under the pavement. How did you find out about this fuckwittery in the first place?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The first thing that first came to mind was how will the pavement be supported with that many holes in it, some poor sod will be innocently wandering down the road before disappearing under the pavement. How did you find out about this fuckwittery in the first place?

They asked my mate in street lighting to move a lamp column because the root was in the way of their drain run. I asked them 'what drain run?' and that's how I found out about it. I reported it then (November) to the people that are supposed to care about that sort of thing, nothing happened. Then when the hoarding came down I couldn't believe how many lids there were. I was in meetings all day on day 1, so by the time I got in to the borough the next day excavation had started which was when I called a halt to the work and reported it all over again to the same people as before who are rushing about now to sort it all out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is now obvious to me that the royal family read this forum, they are starting to use it as a sort of tourist guide for outings. So, a warning, no big ear jokes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10472235/Kate-Middleton-Prince-Charles-Camilla-visit-Trinity-Buoy-Wharf.html

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

It is now obvious to me that the royal family read this forum, they are starting to use it as a sort of tourist guide for outings. So, a warning, no big ear jokes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10472235/Kate-Middleton-Prince-Charles-Camilla-visit-Trinity-Buoy-Wharf.html

They going to be down the Victorian bogs soon Yen?

Do me a favour Pete, can you swap the O and U around in the thread title. I have spelt it incorrectly (I have a real blind spot with that word) and it is winding me up. I have made direction signs to the place and even then I had to check on a map and in a dictionary before sending the drawings off to the sign makers.

This is the result of an English Comprehensive education at a rough school.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Do me a favour Pete, can you swap the O and U around in the thread title. I have spelt it incorrectly (I have a real blind spot with that word) and it is winding me up. I have made direction signs to the place and even then I had to check on a map and in a dictionary before sending the drawings off to the sign makers.

This is the result of an English Comprehensive education at a rough school.

Done Yen......as the result of an 11 Plus / Grammar School education at a shit inner-city school.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Done Yen......as the result of an 11 Plus / Grammar School education at a shit inner-city school.

God bless ya.

My school was terrible. I will always remember when the lights went down for a slide show in a physics class some of the boys in my class were hawking up phlegm on to the ends of their (shatterproof) plastic rulers and twanging it across the room in the dark. Fucking animals some of them were. Similar stuff was going on all the time.

Our music teacher could make a kid shit themselves in fear if he turned his attention on you, the bloke was a bloody midget mind you, which gives some idea of his personality when he could still dominate a room of the scum in my own class. He also taught Judo and Karate after school and had a reputation for battering anyone he thought was not paying attention. I came home one day in my first year after a music lesson where we all had to play the poxy recorder. If you don't put your thumb under the hole at the bottom properly you get a squealing noise. Someone out our 30 pupils was doing it so he made each person play the first few notes on our own so he could give the guilty one a slap. I was terrified because I think it was me, but couldn't tell properly with everyone else playing at the same time. I got my notes out okay which was a relief.  I told my dad about a scary teacher called Mr Thacker and he laughed at me and said, "Do you mean Lionel?" My dad was one of the school caretakers during my first few years there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3