Choosing a vintage 2 stroke: s3, GT750, or RD250??

Grace (BikeHedonia)

So my fairy godmother of motorcycling is waving his/her wand, and has given me a choice: which bike to restore?? (omg!)

The options are:

Kawasaki s3 400

Suzuki GT750

Yamaha RD250 

These bikes are all before my time, so I'm super keen to hear from anyone who has ridden and loved them. Tell me which one you would choose, and why?

Please and thank you!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

So my fairy godmother of motorcycling is waving his/her wand, and has given me a choice: which bike to restore?? (omg!)

The options are:

Kawasaki s3 400

Suzuki GT750

Yamaha RD250 

These bikes are all before my time, so I'm super keen to hear from anyone who has ridden and loved them. Tell me which one you would choose, and why?

Please and thank you!!!

I've owned the first two!

I already talked about the S3, and in terms of the GT750 it's now a cult bike so worth much more than the others.

My second one threw me off at 110mph with a tankslapper in 1978 so my memories are painful ones.

Besides that they're pretty quick, fairly thirsty, and ground clearance is a bit limited.

Having said that, I'd still choose that one over the other two.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I've owned the first two!

I already talked about the S3, and in terms of the GT750 it's now a cult bike so worth much more than the others.

My second one threw me off at 110mph with a tankslapper in 1978 so my memories are painful ones.

Besides that they're pretty quick, fairly thirsty, and ground clearance is a bit limited.

Having said that, I'd still choose that one over the other two.

Thank you 🙂 

How well (or badly) did you come out of that tank slapper? Sounds dramatic.

1 hour ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Thank you 🙂 

How well (or badly) did you come out of that tank slapper? Sounds dramatic.

Just cuts and bruises Grace! No broken bones and no stitches! Had my only ever trip in an ambulance on that one!

The worst part was a rampantly gay male nurse had to get what was left of my jeans off me!

I was cleaned up, X-Rayed, then a tetanus injection.......and they let me go.

Next day I collected the bike from the recovery firm's yard, only scratches on it, and rode it home in the snow!

10 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

The options are:

Kawasaki s3 400

Suzuki GT750

Yamaha RD250 

Please and thank you!!!

RD250 i used to have one and not bad to work on being a twin 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mawsley said:

The only thing in favour of them here is investment value unless you like spending riding time constantly fettling. That, powerbands and daft consumption figures are not my cup of tea at all. Reckon if I was pushed, I'd go for ones not on your list, the Suzuki X7 or the RD400E - but for no other reason than I fancied one or the other when I got into bikes and wanted anything other than my piece of crap CJ250T.

I reckon that you'd probably pick one up far cheaper that 2T exotica goes for here now, they command daft prices.

Why you wanting two stroke?

i had an x7 too

9 hours ago, boboneleg said:

No offence Grace but I wouldn't want any on them , 20-25 mpg is not my bag nowadays .  You're much younger than me though so crack on 👍

Yeah they're not famous for their fuel efficiency. But damn I love the smell of two stroke in the morning...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mawsley said:

The only thing in favour of them here is investment value unless you like spending riding time constantly fettling. That, powerbands and daft consumption figures are not my cup of tea at all. Reckon if I was pushed, I'd go for ones not on your list, the Suzuki X7 or the RD400E - but for no other reason than I fancied one or the other when I got into bikes and wanted anything other than my piece of crap CJ250T.

I reckon that you'd probably pick one up far cheaper that 2T exotica goes for here now, they command daft prices.

Why you wanting two stroke?

Because I love how they sound and smell and feel. I just love it. Makes my heart sing.

I also have a crazy plan. Add that to opportunity (which has now come knocking)... and well, the rest as they say shall be history 😉

2 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Update: 

The bike is going to be a GT550. 

I will be wearing leather.

Its like getting a second christmass, a leather glad smoker, grrrrrrrrr.... :littleguy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Update: 

The bike is going to be a GT550. 

I will be wearing leather.

I've had one of those as well.....they're decent enough but they don't have the performance of the Kwak 500 triple!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, skyrider said:

the 550 was a better bike than the 380 they reckon 

I never tried the 380......also never tried the 750 Kettle either.