• Passable off-road chops
  • Low price
  • Economical, versatile engine

Downs

• Bit on the heavy side
  • Kickstand a little too short
  • Adjustable windshield needs tools

Verdict

If hulking, 1,200cc-plus, techno-blinding, $18K-plus starship ADVs aren’t your thing, and you want a little bit of adventure in your diet for less than $7,000, the Honda CB500X is worth a serious look.

2021 Honda CB500X.
2021 Honda CB500X. (Honda/)

Overview

Debuting in 2013, the CB500X originally was intended as an economical midsize commuter bike with adventure styling. But as the adventure-bike market continued to expand in popularity, motorcycle manufacturers saw demand for bikes in this category that weren’t so intimidatingly huge in size, engine displacement, and most of all, cost. So in 2019, Honda upped the off-road ante in the CB500X, adding a 19-inch front wheel, tires with a bit more off-road intent, longer-travel suspension, a taller windscreen, and other bits to make it more appealing to this segment.

Updates for 2021

For 2021, the non-ABS version of the CB500X has been dropped, with only the ABS version available. The only available colorway is Matte Black Metallic.

Pricing and Variants

The 2021 Honda CB500X retails for $6,999. Numerous accessories are available from Honda, including heated grips, 12V accessory socket, light bar, and keyed/removable hard bags.

Competition

Competitors for the Honda CB500X include the KTM 390 Adventure, Kawasaki Versys-X 300, BMW G 310 GS, and Suzuki V-Strom 650/650 XT.

Powertrain: Engine, Transmission, and Performance

The 471cc DOHC parallel-twin engine is a willing partner, both on and off-road. “It’s the engine’s loping character that’s most appreciated,” remarked CW’s testers in this CB500X and Kawasaki Versys-X 300 comparison test, adding, “It’s happy to lug along in the dirt with plenty of low-end torque or trot along the highway at a few thousand rpm, all the while netting at least 50 mpg.” The transmission action is smooth, with CW’s Serena Bleeker noting, “Clutch pull is light and modulation is easy thanks to the slipper/assist function,” in her First Ride Review of the 2020 model. On the CW in-house dyno, the 2020 CB500X cranked out 42.45 hp at 8,130 rpm and 29.25 pound-feet at 6,500 rpm.

2021 Honda CB500X.
2021 Honda CB500X. (Honda/)

Handling

The CB500X’s 41mm conventional nonadjustable front fork and single rear shock (only adjustable for spring preload) have damping and spring rates that are fairly firm for the off-road spectrum, and they handle that area adequately, absorbing bigger hits without bottoming harshly. The 19-inch front wheel rolls over bumps better, but also makes on-road handling just a tad slower. The ADV-style tires also compromise on-road handling and grip a bit.

Brakes

A single 310mm disc and two-piston slide-pin caliper up front works with a 240mm disc/single-piston slide-pin caliper out back to provide good stopping power that lacks aggressive initial bite, which is probably a good thing for less-experienced riders in the dirt.

Fuel Economy and Real-World MPG

In CW’s test of a 2020 model CB500X, it recorded an impressive 54.6 mpg, equating to roughly 250 miles per 4.6-gallon tankful.

Ergonomics: Comfort and Utility

The CB500X’s ergos are fairly comfortable for even taller riders, in both sitting and standing positions, and the adjustable windscreen (requires tools to adjust, however) does a good job of redirecting windblast away from the rider. The single-piece seat provides adequate passenger accommodations as well.

Electronics

Other than ABS, the CB500X is devoid of electronic rider aids. A plus is that the lighting is all LED.

Warranty and Maintenance Coverage

The CB500X comes with Honda’s standard one-year/unlimited mileage warranty. Extended coverage is available through HondaCare Protection Plan.

Quality

Build quality on the CB500X is basically like any Honda: excellent. The overall fit and finish of the bike has a quality feel, and everything works as intended.

2021 Honda CB500X Claimed Specifications

MSRP: $6,999
Engine: 471cc, DOHC, liquid-cooled parallel twin; 8 valves
Bore x Stroke: 67.0 x 66.8mm
Transmission/Final Drive: 6-speed/chain
Fuel Delivery: Electronic fuel injection w/ 34mm throttle bodies
Clutch: Wet, multiple disc; cable operation
Engine Management/Ignition: TCI
Frame: Steel twin-spar chassis
Front Suspension: 41mm conventional fork, nonadjustable; 5.9 in. travel
Rear Suspension: Single shock, spring preload adjustable; 5.3 in. travel
Front Brake: 2-piston slide-pin caliper, single 310mm disc w/ ABS
Rear Brake: 1-piston slide-pin caliper, 240mm disc w/ ABS
Wheels, Front/Rear: Cast aluminum; 19 x 2.50 in. / 17 x 4.50 in.
Tires, Front/Rear: 110/80-19 / 160/60-17
Rake/Trail: 27.5°/4.3 in.
Wheelbase: 56.8 in.
Ground Clearance: 7.1 in.
Seat Height: 32.8 in.
Fuel Capacity: 4.7 gal.
Wet Weight: 434 lb.

Cycle World Tested Specifications

Seat Height: 32.7 in.
Wet Weight: 431 lb.
Rear-Wheel Horsepower: 42.45 hp @ 8,130 rpm
Rear-Wheel Torque: 29.25 lb.-ft. @ 6,500 rpm
0–60 mph: N/A
1/4-mile: N/A
Braking 30–0 mph: N/A
Braking 60–0 mph: N/A

Source

• 2 weeks later...

Am I missing something here? The 2022 bikes have just been launched. The 2022 CB500X has twin front disks, USD forks and a bit of weight saving here and there! This review is a bit late?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Tango said:

Am I missing something here? The 2022 bikes have just been launched. The 2022 CB500X has twin front disks, USD forks and a bit of weight saving here and there! This review is a bit late?

@Hugh Janus is a massive cunt Bob!

This wouldn't be happening if @Six30 had got the Newsbot gig!

• Haha 4

I had the end of my sub stolen by a seagull. Now I'm not someone who'd cause harm to anything but if I'd have been quick enough the fucker would have got the some of the same.

• Haha 2

I once saw a seagull mug a whole hamburger out of a couple of people exiting a Burger King, they put a bag on top of their car for opening doors and general getting in, and the bird was merciless. I was inside a car, laughing, that made my morning commute!

• Haha 4

I had a seagull take a corned beef pastie out of my hand when i was a kid if i had got hold of the fucker it wouldn't have flown again,  it wasn't often we were treated to what was to us fast food as a kid so it was a real treat that i didn't get to have, i think i cried for about week :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Mawsley said:

Let’s be honest, if seagulls were human they’d drive vans and molest children. 

and live in Leicester ... and choose a career where they are round children all day.

• Haha 3