Drinking every night!

Swagman

Just now, Swagman said:

Just wondering does that make me a alcoholic.

I think it depends on your need for it, more so than even volume. If you need it to get through the night or to cope with something, I would say yes even if it's just one drink. If you can just drink something non alcoholic for a few days and feel no real need for it, I would say no.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

I think it depends on your need for it, more so than even volume. If you need it to get through the night or to cope with something, I would say yes even if it's just one drink. If you can just drink something non alcoholic for a few days and feel no real need for it, I would say no.

Whoops.🤣🤣

• Haha 2

I am guilty of sometimes medicating with wine. Sometimes I would need a sleeping aid or something calming, but wine is more fun than that. Falling asleep without trying or difficult thoughts is great for me, though, so it is difficult to let go of it, but I was sort of spiraling a little out of control so am now enforcing a little self control over a few days.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

I am guilty of sometimes medicating with wine. Sometimes I would need a sleeping aid or something calming, but wine is more fun than that. Falling asleep without trying or difficult thoughts is great for me, though, so it is difficult to let go of it, but I was sort of spiraling a little out of control so am now enforcing a little self control over a few days.

Good luck with that @Pedro.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My brother's wife went to her GP because she was worried that she was an alcoholic. He asked if she drank spirits at breakfast time, she said no, so he said that she had nothing to worry about! Unfortunately her breakfast consisted of a few cigarettes and a few cans of Stella. She has now been diagnosed with a form of dementia related to alcohol abuse and my brother has had to give up work to stay at home to look after her. She's the same age as me. 

I've knocked the beers on the head apart from a couple on Friday and Saturday evenings, just because I was getting a bit of a gut, no other reason.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Bloody hell! Has she always been like that Bob?

It was only after she stopped working that it got out of hand, Pete. But it had been like that for several years. Being diagnosed diabetic didn't stop her either. She doesn't drink or smoke now, but the damage has been done! Doctors say she won't get worse, but neither will she get any better!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tango said:

It was only after she stopped working that it got out of hand, Pete. But it had been like that for several years. Being diagnosed diabetic didn't stop her either. She doesn't drink or smoke now, but the damage has been done! Doctors say she won't get worse, but neither will she get any better!

So your brother has got a lot to deal with now?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

So your brother has got a lot to deal with now?

Yeah, he can't leave her on her own for more than a few minutes as who knows what she'll do. Their daughter moved up to their place from London earlier in the year, so he's got some intelligible company in the evenings when she's back from work. They only moved from Kent to Redcar a couple of years back, so they've got no friends up there. I think that he struggles.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, Swagman said:

Just wondering does that make me a alcoholic.

do you slap the mrs about after you've had a few ? if yes , you got a drink problem .... if no start drinking Stella .

• Haha 3

I always think if you can't put something down and walk away from it (figuratively) without it playing on your mind you are looking at the beginnings of a form of addiction whether its alcohol, drugs or a type of behaviour. Personally Im an event drinker. Im happy alcohol free but when event comes up where everyones drinking I will join in with aplomb. Its defiantly not good for me because I feel like death for days after but I have no intention of changing, it does put me off the stuff for a long time!

@Tango your brothers wifes Dr is either a twat or she wasnt telling the truth about what he said which is extremely common in alchy's. They kid themselves and everyone around them theyre fine because they don't drink in the morning or they don't drink spirits or whatever excuse allows them to carry on doing exactly what they want to do. "My Dr says its fine" is something I heard over and over again when patients told me honestly how many units they were drinking and 9 times out of 10 they were way out of the safe zone and they knew it.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I always think if you can't put something down and walk away from it (figuratively) without it playing on your mind you are looking at the beginnings of a form of addiction whether its alcohol, drugs or a type of behaviour. Personally Im an event drinker. Im happy alcohol free but when event comes up where everyones drinking I will join in with aplomb. Its defiantly not good for me because I feel like death for days after but I have no intention of changing but it does put me off the stuff for a long time!

@Tango your brothers wifes Dr is either a twat or she wasnt telling the truth about what he said which is extremely common in alchy's. They kid themselves and everyone around them theyre fine because they don't drink in the morning or they don't drink spirits or whatever excuse allows them to carry on doing exactly what they want to do. "My Dr says its fine" is something I heard over and over again when patients told me honestly how many units they were drinking and 9 times out of 10 they were way out of the safe zone and they knew it.

I think the fact that she was worried about her drinking and reached out to her GP for help makes me think that she was given poor advice, but, when all is said and done, she should have done something about it herself. Easy for me to say, I guess. But the damage is done, so it's all a bit academic now, unfortunately. 

• Sad 4

There was a time when I was at sea that I used to drink quite heavily, 12 hour sessions quite often and in the bar every night. 

When things changed with promotion and duty days, then it was a day off. I never felt that I needed a drink on the days off, and by the time I retired, with random testing I sort of stopped drinking at sea but did enjoy a good session ashore.

These days I hardly drink at all, unless Fred drags me to the Farmyard Party, although when I do I enjoy it. Was worried at one time about the consumption, especially if it was a lot of spirits. I remember a Chief Engineer saying that anyone who could drink as much as we used to then you definitely have a drink problem, but I don't think that's the same as alcoholism.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, XTreme said:

How did they move up there then Bob?

The idea was to downsize their house and buy something cheap up there and use the difference in price to buffer them in preparation for retirement. It was all working out OK until this happened. Obviously this scuppered all those plans!

Just now, Tango said:

The idea was to downsize their house and buy something cheap up there and use the difference in price to buffer them in preparation for retirement. It was all working out OK until this happened. Obviously this scuppered all those plans!

No good if you find yourself alienated though Bob.

7 minutes ago, Six30 said:

Seen that happen all too often! Seen the scars as well.

A new second engineer decided that he was going on a pub crawl with a couple of us in Gibraltar, starting lunchtime and it must have been about three or so when we couldn't find anywhere open.

The following morning everyone kept asking me what I'd done to the new Second. He had a black eye like a tennis ball and a gash on his eyebrow that needed stitches. Everyone thought that I'd thumped him. Truth was he'd got up for a piss in a strange cabin, pissed, had tripped over catching the washbasin on his way down.

Great guy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

No good if you find yourself alienated though Bob.

Unfortunately the dementia didn't really start until quite recently and there's no way that they can now afford to move back. They're close to the beach, so they can walk down there for some fresh air, so it's not a bad place to live. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

My brother was the drinker in the family, boy could he down it🍻

When on night shift he would be in bed around 8am..........but always awake at 11am to go to the welfare till 2pm, then back home to bed, sleep till 8pm, then back on nightshift.

Me, I have only been proper drunk once in my life, since then  I have lived by the "Never again"🤢

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Specs said:

Seen that happen all too often! Seen the scars as well.

A new second engineer decided that he was going on a pub crawl with a couple of us in Gibraltar, starting lunchtime and it must have been about three or so when we couldn't find anywhere open.

The following morning everyone kept asking me what I'd done to the new Second. He had a black eye like a tennis ball and a gash on his eyebrow that needed stitches. Everyone thought that I'd thumped him. Truth was he'd got up for a piss in a strange cabin, pissed, had tripped over catching the washbasin on his way down.

Great guy!

Me and a couple of mates used to go down the pub on Friday evenings after we'd played squash and neck a few beers before closing. One of my mates missed squash one Friday but turned up down the pub with this kind of plastic mask thing on his face. He looked like he was starring in the Phantom of the Opera. We asked him what it was all about, so he said that he'd broken his nose and fractured a cheek bone! So we asked how? Anyway, the previous Friday, after we'd had a few down the pub after squash, he got up during the night for a pee. Being a bit unsteady on his feet he decided to sit down to pee. However, he fell asleep sat on the bog and then fell off and smacked his head on the corner of the bath as he went down! We tried not to laugh..........😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6