What's in a Name? READ THIS!

XTreme

I want to run this past you to see what you think.

Now we know that we need to bring in new members to survive......every forum does. And this isn't as easy as it was 20 years ago before Social Media existed.

And we also know that that there are only two sites (both corporates) ahead of us on Google, which is a great result after only being in existence a year.

But the problem is that Google search results are not bringing in new members! The new ones who've signed up either came through Facebook, or they came over because they knew me from another forum.

So I've been doing some research on Google Trends to identify why we get nothing from their search results.

Here's the worldwide data from the last 12 months on searches made for "Adventure Motorcycle Forum".

af.jpg.52de3b16e754967f9d63c63353e198f1.jpg

As you can see, there wasn't enough data recorded to generate any stats. And any variations of search terms using "Adventure" deliver the same nil result.

The upshot of this is that the "Adventure" word doesn't help us one bit.......because nobody is searching for that criteria.

So I then did an analysis of searches for the term "Motorcycle Forum"......and look at the difference!

mf.jpg.887e2518b519ea5ff3d44c81a82b893a.jpg

Essentially this demonstrates that the words "Motorcycle" and "Forum" are both critical.......and any other descriptor around them that would put them into a niche area of motorcycling are actually a negative.

If we want to bring in new members (and we won't survive unless we do)........we need to appeal to all motorcyclists - irrespective of what they ride.

So......are you thinking what I'm thinking? And for the hard of thinking here (of which there are many).......I'm talking about a rebranding!

What does a rebranding involve?

Different domain name and revised colour scheme. 

Do you we start again from nothing?

No......every thread, post, image, avatar, and all your account info is copied over exactly as it is now. You'll just sign into the new domain using the same password as you have here.

If you've forgotten your password, then you have the option to reset it on the sign in screen.

370623579_Screenshot2021-04-25111100.jpg.6873aa650fe3e01a81c66c9c34f39206.jpg

Will the site be offline for a while?

It'll take me a few days to do all the preparation beforehand, and at the end of it I would only expect the site to be offline for about an hour while the switch occurs.

Will things be different on the new site?

No difference whatsoever apart from the domain name and colour scheme. If any of you have suggestions on colours then let us know cos I'm not very artistic and I have no sense of style whatsoever.

I like this place as it is......why change?

This is a lot of work for me, and I can really do without it. But look at the stats......they show conclusively why we need to do this. If we don't, this forum will go the way of it's predecessors. It's as simple as that!

I'll listen to you guys.......if the majority don't want the rebrand then it won't happen. I'm only suggesting this initiative based on those stats, not on gut feelings or personal preferences.... and AFAIC it's a no brainer!

Tell me what you think?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think its a great idea just because it reminds me of the old days when youd do a switch and people were left on Ghost Boards...the original darkmotorcycling foums...lol

• Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Rename it Maximumbikes    ?

The world has changed now Phil......that name is no use in terms of exact match keywords.

And as you know we always used "bikes" in the domains.......but doing searches on "bikes" now just brings up bicycles.

"Motorcycle" and "Forum" are the key terms!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tym said:

I think its a great idea just because it reminds me of the old days when youd do a switch and people were left on Ghost Boards...the original darkmotorcycling foums...lol

Oh yeh.....and I could navigate between the two!

DNS propagation is a lot quicker now.....an hour or so normally.

Plus the new domain will have propagated already and it'll just be a simple 301 redirect between the two.

Well, your simple 301 redirect goes so far over my head it needs a flight path from the airport peoples, ever see a dysletic do code? Me neither.. ?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Tym said:

Well, your simple 301 redirect goes so far over my head it needs a flight path from the airport peoples, ever see a dysletic do code? Me neither.. ?

You'll put in the old domain name and be sent to the new one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I'm going to be a moderator? Cooooool!

Based wholly on the Peter Principle you deserve a promotion. ?

Bucksters posse motorcycle forum.

It’s the obvious choice and you all get to live vicariously through me, I’m a fucking Prince.

• Haha 2

I’m ok with whatever the the forums called as long as it isn’t tmb you know the rest, but you do realise that some people once they see the kinds of post and language allowed may not want to join just a thought, make the most of my thought I don’t have too many, colour/Color I like yellow and black.?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Swagman said:

but you do realise that some people once they see the kinds of post and language allowed may not want to join

That is a fair point Keith......but do we really want to have this place full of pathetic people who get offended by everything?

Look at Facebutt or Twitter......we're not allowing anything that they wouldn't. And in fact, the race hate and gore that's permitted on there wouldn't be tolerated here.

So in reality we're actually stricter than those places.

10 minutes ago, Swagman said:

I’m ok with whatever the the forums called as long as it isn’t tmb you know the rest, but you do realise that some people once they see the kinds of post and language allowed may not want to join just a thought, 

but in order for them to make that choice /decision, they have to find us... which isn't the case at the moment. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tym said:

oh don't, I still have fucking nightmares about that! ?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, MooN said:

but in order for them to make that choice /decision, they have to find us... which isn't the case at the moment. 

Yes......because we've restricted our potential target market!

My fault entirely......I should have done more research at the time!

Hide Reaction GIF by flor

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MooN said:

oh don't, I still have fucking nightmares about that! ?

Who was it that always got stuck on a ghost board for days?

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

That is a fair point Keith......but do we really want to have this place full of pathetic people who get offended by everything?

Look at Facebutt or Twitter......we're not allowing anything that they wouldn't. And in fact, the race hate and gore that's permitted on there wouldn't be tolerated here.

So in reality we're actually stricter than those places.

No you are absolutely right we don’t need brum brum type people who sign in then don’t post because it doesn’t suit them, best I suppose that they see what it’s like from the start.?

4 minutes ago, MooN said:

Yeah I agree give them a handle to see if they fit in or not.?