Attempted Breaking and Entering in Spain!

XTreme

Abandoned railway station and abandoned farm buildings in Caniles! However, the real purpose was to try and find a way into the abandoned sugar factory there.....it's been closed since 1972.

The complex is huge and still contains a lot of the old machinery......I've seen pics of what it looks like inside and it's amazing.

I walked round the perimeter walls and it's totally sealed......in my younger days I could have scaled the wall, but that ship has sailed now.

But I ain't giving up......I know somebody who got in there so I'm going to try and find out how.

In the meantime, here's a short vid and a few pics! The Sugar Factory is the first shot!

gs182-min.jpg

gs183.jpg

gs183a-min.jpg

gs183b-min.jpg

gs183c-min.jpg

gs184.jpg

gs184a-min.jpg

gs184b-min.jpg

gs184d-min.jpg

gs184e-min.jpg

gs184f-min.jpg

gs184g-min.jpg

gs184h-min.jpg

gs186.jpg

gs187.jpg

gs187b-min.jpg

gs187c-min.jpg

gs187d-min.jpg

gs188-min.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Richzx6r said:

We could always go there when me n anyone else visits probably be easier 

Good thinking Rich!

You're young enough to scale the wall and you may be able to find a door you can unlock for us old people!

But that's presuming you survive the boat trip with @Bruce

boat fail GIF

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

Good thinking Rich!

You're young enough to scale the wall and you may be able to find a door you can unlock for us old people!

boat fail GIF

I like how you think im some young whippersnapper..... but I'm sure i can find a way in using powers of brute force and ignorance. 

And who doesn't like abit of running aground with a bunch of geriatric casuals

• Haha 3

ahhhh, another beautiful day in Spain.  Very nice ride! ?

It amazes me how well things are preserved in that climate.  Something just that old around here would be a pile of moss, ferns and berry bushes in no time. :classic_laugh:

glitter jungle GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Richzx6r said:

I like how you think im some young whippersnapper..... but I'm sure i can find a way in using powers of brute force and ignorance. 

And who doesn't like abit of running aground with a bunch of geriatric casuals

Mid 30's isn't exactly the generation associated with smelling of mothballs and stale urine Rich.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

ahhhh, another beautiful day in Spain.  Very nice ride! ?

It amazes me how well things are preserved in that climate.  Something just that old around here would be a pile of moss, ferns and berry bushes in no time. :classic_laugh:

glitter jungle GIF

Low humidity and very dry air Michelle.....there's 40 and 50 year old cars still going round without a spot of rust on them!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Good thinking Rich!

boat fail GIF

nah he is still probably swimming in the bilge

• Like 1

Nice one. You should have a Spain thread with the places worth a visit on. I joined a Facebook group about rides in Spain but as I only go on facebook to check for messages it was pointless. The guys written books about Portugal and Spains backroads though so I bought one. You’re probably already familiar with them but just in case your not-

https://www.duncan-spanish-travel.com

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Nice one. You should have a Spain thread with the places worth a visit on. I joined a Facebook group about rides in Spain but as I only go on facebook to check for messages it was pointless. The guys written books about Portugal and Spains backroads though so I bought one. You’re probably already familiar with them but just in case your not-

https://www.duncan-spanish-travel.com

Don't know those areas.....only Granada, Almeria, and Murcia.

Legacy of working non-stop here for 15 years.

Just now, XTreme said:

Don't know those areas.....only Granada, Almeria, and Murcia.

Legacy of working non-stop here for 15 years.

I dunno if thats right Pete, I mean working non stop so you dont get to see the country you chose to be in seems to me a bit of a wasted opportunity?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I dunno if thats right Pete, I mean working non stop so you dont get to see the country you chose to be in seems to me a bit of a wasted opportunity?

That's what it took to get where I needed to be Caroline! I've been established for years now so it's not so hectic......I'm trying to get a better work/life balance.

However, due to the nature of what I do I can never truly close the door and get away from everything. Because the Internet never sleeps.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, XTreme said:

That's what it took to get where I needed to be Caroline! I've been established for years now so it's not so hectic......I'm trying to get a better work/life balance.

However, due to the nature of what I do I can never truly close the door and get away from everything. Because the Internet never sleeps.

Fair enough, you gotta do wot u gotta do n all that. Wouldnt it be possible to manage some of it on low from a laptop for a while or is that just too much hassle? 

35 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Fair enough, you gotta do wot u gotta do n all that. Wouldnt it be possible to manage some of it on low from a laptop for a while or is that just too much hassle? 

As technology has advanced it has become easier....but time has taken it's toll.

Son 1 left for NL in 2013, Son 2 left for Poland in 2016. So everything in terms of the business and family commitments was then dumped onto me singlehandedly.

At the same time the wife's osteoarthritis got worse very quickly. One hip is done, waiting for the other one, plus it's now spread to her back where it's too dangerous to operate.

So I'm now working on my own, plus helping the wife with all the stuff she needs doing. Driving, fetching and carrying, lifting, shopping, horses, chores in the house etc. 

She can't travel far, there's no one here besides me to help her......so the likelihood of me ever getting anywhere is pretty remote really.

It's just the way things turned out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

As technology has advanced it has become easier....but time has taken it's toll.

Son 1 left for NL in 2013, Son 2 left for Poland in 2016. So everything in terms of the business and family commitments was then dumped onto me singlehandedly.

At the same time the wife's osteoarthritis got worse very quickly. One hip is done, waiting for the other one, plus it's now spread to her back where it's too dangerous to operate.

So I'm now working on my own, plus helping the wife with all the stuff she needs doing. Driving, fetching and carrying, lifting, horses, chores in the house etc. 

She can't travel far, there's no one here besides me to help her......so the likelihood of me ever getting anywhere is pretty remote really.

It's just the way things turned out.

Bit of a shit sandwich then. Suppose better to focus on what you do have to stay happy. 

I was decidedly pissed off Covid stopped me moving to Spain and even more pissed off that might be a permanent state of affairs given we dont know what’s going to happen business wise so my long made, hard to fruition plans disappeared in puff of smoke and I’m stuck in grey Blighty when I just want to ride my bike in the sunshine.

But then again I’m grateful everyone I care about is still alive, I have a nice home that everyone enjoys being in, I get on with my children (they’ve turned out to be a good laugh), a loving husband, I have motorbikes to ride, good food to eat and have more time to myself than the average schmo who has to work mon to fri 9-5 so what’s to be annoyed about? Not a lot. Pretty damn lucky really.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Bit of a shit sandwich then. Suppose better to focus on what you do have to stay happy. 

I was decidedly pissed off Covid stopped me moving to Spain and even more pissed off that might be a permanent state of affairs given we dont know what’s going to happen business wise so my long made, hard to fruition plans disappeared in puff of smoke and I’m stuck in grey Blighty when I just want to ride my bike in the sunshine.

But then again I’m grateful everyone I care about is still alive, I have a nice home that everyone enjoys being in, I get on with my children (they’ve turned out to be a good laugh), a loving husband, I have motorbikes to ride, good food to eat and have more time to myself than the average schmo who has to work mon to fri 9-5 so what’s to be annoyed about? Not a lot. Pretty damn lucky really.

We live in very uncertain times really.....very hard to make any plans now due to Covid and the volatile political climate.

We're just happy that we dodged the bullet and got out in 2005.

6 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Moving to the Iberian peninsula might be a good way to mess with all that 

Great Job Yes GIF by Hollywood Suite

• Haha 1

Photos of the inside of this huge sugar factory can be seen here: https://www.gssr.es/slideshow2.php?Ref=AC and here: https://www.gssr.es/slideshow3.php?Ref=AC .

It is now owned by a private company (biochemicals) and may have guard dogs loose inside.  When I took the photos the gates were open so I just walked in...and then got thrown out by a security guard.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Max GSSR said:

It is now owned by a private company (biochemicals) and may have guard dogs loose inside.  When I took the photos the gates were open so I just walked in...and then got thrown out by a security guard.

Is it actually a working factory now Max? Because it doesn't look as if the building has been repaired in any way.

1 minute ago, Max GSSR said:

There are actually two bigger factories that you can get into easily: https://www.gssr.es/slideshow2.php?Ref=SCA and https://www.gssr.es/slideshow2.php?Ref=ST - relics of a previous industrial age.  Well worth a visit and you don't have to leave the province of Granada.

Guadix is on my list to be visited......

gssr.jpg.544b2e1e73fd8093890e3c5d2c706feb.jpg

......just waiting for the weather to warm up!

No idea when I can get to the rest of the Almeria ones though....I think we'll be back in a Perimetral Lockdown again soon cos of these stupid twats over Easter.

1092609131_Screenshot2021-04-11093028-min.jpg.c89331daa45be941a586b78db1a2530b.jpg

On 04/04/2021 at 18:46, Grasshopper's Ride said:

glitter jungle GIF

that's why Pete moved there...

• Haha 3