a question for boboneleg

skyrider

58 minutes ago, skyrider said:

Hi how do you rate the xr400 and is it much heavier/higher than the 250 ?

I have one its about 6kg heavier and 10mm taller than the 250 haven't ridden the 250 but i love the 400 its a good do all bike but it is tall there are lowering links available. Biggest issue with buying one is the prices are soaring as with all the XR range 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I have one its about 6kg heavier and 10mm taller than the 250 haven't ridden the 250 but i love the 400 its a good do all bike but it is tall there are lowering links available. Biggest issue with buying one is the prices are soaring as with all the XR range 

yes thanks i will have to go in to it

1 minute ago, skyrider said:

yes thanks i will have to go in to it

If your thinking of trail riding, it wont be as manageable as the Serow in the rough stuff but you can kill yourself a lot faster on it :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

If your thinking of trail riding, it wont be as manageable as the Serow in the rough stuff but you can kill yourself a lot faster on it :classic_laugh:

not wrong :classic_ohmy:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, skyrider said:

so it's about 114 kgs 

I've just checked and its 106 dry and the 400 is 116 dry and 125 wet so about 10kg difference cant find a wet weight for the 250 though but it carries the same amount of oil and fuel

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I've just checked and its 106 dry and the 400 is 116 dry and 125 wet so about 10kg difference cant find a wet weight for the 250 though but it carries the same amount of oil and fuel

i think the 250 is 108 kgs  the same as the serow 

Don't know how relevant it is, but a nicely set up 400 has the kind of bottom end chuggyness that means you can just never stall if you keep it on a little bit of throttle, and crawl through most things in the first three gears. Sometimes that makes a bike easier to ride.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, skyrider said:

i cant manage heavy bikes  my arthritis in my shoulders wont let me ?

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, skyrider said:

We are both wrong it surprised me the serow is that heavy my mate was always bleating on at me how light his was the xr250 is lighter at 104kg

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_xr250r_01.html

2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Don't know how relevant it is, but a nicely set up 400 has the kind of bottom end chuggyness that means you can just never stall if you keep it on a little bit of throttle, and crawl through most things in the first three gears. Sometimes that makes a bike easier to ride.

yep that's what i was thinking 

5 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Yes your right about that i remember the guys i was riding with saying they thought i was going to stall when going up a steep climb i went down to almost tickover to reduce wheelspin and then pulled away 

We are both wrong it surprised me the serow is that heavy my mate was always bleating on at me how light his was the xr250 is lighter at 104kg

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_xr250r_01.html

its probably the electric foot that ads weight to the xt, i still find it light though when i ride it 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, skyrider said:

its probably the electric foot that ads weight to the xt, i still find it light though when i ride it 

Ahh right, they do an electric start xr250L as well not sure how available they are though, the 400 has a knack to starting it once you get it it's easy to kick

Concerning the XR400, if there is one thing that is sometimes challenging is how aggressive the steering is. I think it is made for tight turning, and to me sometimes feels unstable when slowing down from higher speeds on loose surfaces. You really have to pay attention to prevent the front from digging in. This won't be so much of a bother if you never ride in sandy surfaces, though.

10 hours ago, Pedro said:

Concerning the XR400, if there is one thing that is sometimes challenging is how aggressive the steering is. I think it is made for tight turning, and to me sometimes feels unstable when slowing down from higher speeds on loose surfaces. You really have to pay attention to prevent the front from digging in. This won't be so much of a bother if you never ride in sandy surfaces, though.

I totally agree with you there Pedro.  I mainly rode XR's when I had DR350's and the trail of the XR was much steeper in comparison to the Suzuki.  The only reason so many DR350's sold in the UK Over the XR was when it got an electric start.  I will never understand why Honda didn't put an electric boot on the 400 ?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I totally agree with you there Pedro.  I mainly rode XR's when I had DR350's and the trail of the XR was much steeper in comparison to the Suzuki.  The only reason so many DR350's sold in the UK Over the XR was when it got an electric start.  I will never understand why Honda didn't put an electric boot on the 400 ?

:littleguy: So many XR owners I know sold or traded them for DRZs.

• Like 1

Most XR400's are a peach to start, mine never gave me any trouble except when I forget to follow one of the three or four steps while it's cold for it's first start in months. Not following those easy steps and then having to kick for 5 minutes is a great way to warm up in a freezing morning, too ...

- ignition on and fuel open, increase tick-over a smidge and close choke

- decompression open and throttle open, and kick through 2 or 3 times

- decompession open and throttle closed, kick 2 or 3 times

- find tdc, raise the pedal and kick all the way through, job done, open choke and adjust tick over

On that same day it will easily start first or second kick every time, unless you drop it when riding and shut the engine laying over (which you should!), then it's best you just take your helmet off and enjoy the fresh air for a bit (great chance to smoke if you like to :classic_laugh:), and then it´ll start first kick.

I don't ride it often, I like that it is more reliable on the trail after being left for 1 year stopped than anything modern with a small battery and race derived high engine compression. But the comfort of the button sure would be nice if on a long trip or indeed on those days you try to start it with the ignition off and then it's gym time!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

People used to say the same about starting XL500, never had a prob at all. Leccy start is much nicer though.

and the prices of those things have gone through the roof for a decent one too ?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I've been trying to get in touch with a company that make electric start kits for the 400 and 650r  located in Poland. the mechanical part can be fitted in 30 minutes just leaving you the wiring to fit I've messaged them but they haven't got back to me. 

https://www.facebook.com/314380265706363/posts/sweet-option-for-honda-xr-400r-electric-start-kitall-parts-for-engine-and-12-dc-/679746072503112/

• Like 1

I've been trying to get in touch with a company that make electric start kits for the 400 and 650r  located in Poland. the mechanical part can be fitted in 30 minutes just leaving you the wiring to fit I've messaged them but they haven't got back to me. 

https://www.facebook.com/314380265706363/posts/sweet-option-for-honda-xr-400r-electric-start-kitall-parts-for-engine-and-12-dc-/679746072503112/

probably bank holiday :classic_biggrin: