Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2

Pedro

So July last year I put these on:

IMG_8770.thumb.jpeg.45deb31fdc9c1a3c00dce3365b8ca284.jpeg

IMG_8771.thumb.jpeg.788c93ffd63b87fb78552256d586184a.jpeg

I have gotten a weird feeling from the first time I put them on, a lack of feeling on the front end while transitioning into corners sometimes. Also, a couple of slides when I don't think the same would have happened with the previous tires.

Now, with more or less 10.000km I am half sorry to say they are still looking pretty good for wear:

IMG_0666.thumb.jpeg.738b75b0726d16f68db70fe91b577af6.jpeg

IMG_0667.thumb.jpeg.5bb2a5709e35d44af39028f6fd12424a.jpeg

IMG_0668.thumb.jpeg.4f5a96eb4832b924096a175b6efaa908.jpeg

Half sorry, because even though it is the first tire I trust more after 10000km than I've trusted in the first half of it's life it still feels pretty shit to me. No trust most times. It is stable at proper higher speeds but terrible in "iffy" tarmac, nice at proper lean (to me) but horrible transitioning into the lean itself.

Can't wait to put the TKC70 again and hope this was just a shitty tire that I can't gel with and not my suspension giving me grief :classic_ninja:

Next month I'll be riding from the north to the south on country twisty roads with Sofia, am fighting the urge to change them before that just to avoid putting up with them. It's a 1200km to 1500km trip and they would "probably" be shot by the end of it anyway...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Pedro said:

So July last year I put these on:

IMG_8770.thumb.jpeg.45deb31fdc9c1a3c00dce3365b8ca284.jpeg

IMG_8771.thumb.jpeg.788c93ffd63b87fb78552256d586184a.jpeg

I have gotten a weird feeling from the first time I put them on, a lack of feeling on the front end while transitioning into corners sometimes. Also, a couple of slides when I don't think the same would have happened with the previous tires.

Now, with more or less 10.000km I am half sorry to say they are still looking pretty good for wear:

IMG_0666.thumb.jpeg.738b75b0726d16f68db70fe91b577af6.jpeg

IMG_0667.thumb.jpeg.5bb2a5709e35d44af39028f6fd12424a.jpeg

IMG_0668.thumb.jpeg.4f5a96eb4832b924096a175b6efaa908.jpeg

Half sorry, because even though it is the first tire I trust more after 10000km than I've trusted in the first half of it's life it still feels pretty shit to me. No trust most times. It is stable at proper higher speeds but terrible in "iffy" tarmac, nice at proper lean (to me) but horrible transitioning into the lean itself.

Can't wait to put the TKC70 again and hope this was just a shitty tire that I can't gel with and not my suspension giving me grief :classic_ninja:

Next month I'll be riding from the north to the south on country twisty roads with Sofia, am fighting the urge to change them before that just to avoid putting up with them. It's a 1200km to 1500km trip and they would "probably" be shot by the end of it anyway...

tyres are what keeps us in contact with the road and there is nothing more soul destroying then lack of trust in our tyres. I vote for a change! Life is better when we are happy!! 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Pedro said:

There are plenty of things more soul destroying than lack of trust in tires.

Wasting tires, I hate wasting tires!

I'm the same i'll tip toe around on shit tyres to wear them out before changing them. With the dirt bikes i will take worn tyres off in the winter and put them back on in the summer to finish them off

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I'm the same i'll tip toe around on shit tyres to wear them out before changing them. With the dirt bikes i will take worn tyres off in the winter and put them back on in the summer to finish them off

I have taken off tires to fit more 50/50 ones for going to Morocco, but eventually I never bring myself to fit back a tire with 2 or 3 thousand kms left in it.

I've been using the sma etyres on the Tiger since I got it and am on the 3rd set.  I quite like them, I know Pete says he had them slip ot on him but I find them fine. To be fair, when I bought the Tiger the whole package was so awesome compared to the old tralp that I probably wouldn't have noticed anything untoward from the tyres, but I'm still happy with them now so I guess that I should probably be concerned that my riding is sufficienty inept to render tyre choice irrelevant. :thud:

1 minute ago, MooN said:

I've been using the sma etyres on the Tiger since I got it and am on the 3rd set.  I quite like them, I know Pete says he had them slip ot on him but I find them fine. To be fair, when I bought the Tiger the whole package was so awesome compared to the old tralp that I probably wouldn't have noticed anything untoward from the tyres, but I'm still happy with them now so I guess that I should probably be concerned that my riding is sufficienty inept to render tyre choice irrelevant. :thud:

I do appreciate they have grip. They are fine in the wet and I've ridden extensively in rain on them, they are fine when leaning over too, they are smooth and quiet and comfortable, it's just a feeling of unsafeness I feel when entering some corners, for example after a stretch on the motorway and you're just starting to lean on an exit for a moment it feels like there might be oil or something on the road. I never did really slide though, it's just a weird feeling.

Our bikes are very different and we ourselves are too, I wouldn't go as far as saying those tires are bad for everyone when I doubt myself enough when I complain about them. I even have this nigling sensation it might be a suspension setup thing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ended up changing my tires to a set of TKC70 before going on a 2000km ride around Portugal’s back roads. It was the right choice as they instantly felt good.

New:

3110D1FD-E177-4076-9DFC-EA15F7D1015F.thumb.jpeg.0afd2fb4fd4aa7a64f42bcb3cd188743.jpeg

33B17E7E-21FB-4F0E-91B8-C4819E0F8A44.thumb.jpeg.1cea8baaa9452d4d8022ccf6dc6f0169.jpeg

• Like 3