Never Buy Chain Lube Again?

XTreme

3 hours ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

I also enjoyed this comparison.  I love Fortnine's videos. ?

Hey that makes me think, we need some Canadian love. :littleguy:

Canadian love eh michelle well count me in

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

How do you know when you need a new chain and what sort of chain you’ve got? 

What’s the easiest (not necessarily the cheapest) thing to clean a chain with cos I hate doing it and want the job to be over with as quickly as possible? 

44 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

How do you know when you need a new chain and what sort of chain you’ve got? 

What’s the easiest (not necessarily the cheapest) thing to clean a chain with cos I hate doing it and want the job to be over with as quickly as possible? 

I am no expert on this, but i reckon I need a new chain  when it needs constant adjustement, ie after every ride, which would indicate it's stretching really fast. Or if you've reached the limit of adjustement on the tensioners. There's also something about if its at the correct tension and you can pull the chain off the rear sprocket far enough to see the teeth then it's fooked ( or something like that).  I'm sure Bob or Cateeclan or somebody properly technical will be along to give you the correct info

( No, not you Pete!... you don't keep your bikes long enough to need to tension the chain, let alone replace it 😅 )

I rarely actually clean my chain, but when I do I use parrafin, like you'd put in a parrafin heater or lamp, and a paintbrush. Flicks it bloody everywhere though 🤣.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MooN said:

No, not you Pete!... you don't keep your bikes long enough to need to tension the chain, let alone replace it 

I adjusted the chain a couple of weeks ago actually. :classic_cool:

And I always tend to go by pulling chain off the back of the sprocket, or too many tight spots.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MooN said:

I am no expert on this, but i reckon I need a new chain  when it needs constant adjustement, ie after every ride, which would indicate it's stretching really fast. Or if you've reached the limit of adjustement on the tensioners. There's also something about if its at the correct tension and you can pull the chain off the rear sprocket far enough to see the teeth then it's fooked ( or something like that).  I'm sure Bob or Cateeclan or somebody properly technical will be along to give you the correct info

( No, not you Pete!... you don't keep your bikes long enough to need to tension the chain, let alone replace it 😅 )

I rarely actually clean my chain, but when I do I use parrafin, like you'd put in a parrafin heater or lamp, and a paintbrush. Flicks it bloody everywhere though 🤣.

How often does it needs to be done? I know its going to vary depending on road conditions but any idea on the maximum time you can leave it?

15 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

How long can I avoid doing any chain maintenance without it possibly causing damage?

You should be cleaning chain roughly every 1000 miles, and lubing around 250 miles......depending on the conditions obviously.

You should always be keeping a close eye on it anyway for safety reasons.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I was checking my XR over tonight and can say when things look like this its pretty much fucked :classic_laugh:

!cid_097F864F-7695-42EA-A43C-38C5E584926A.thumb.jpg.6b77fe48816a8d49271280cef9fbcd68.jpg

wow! was that not slipping? 

4 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I was checking my XR over tonight and can say when things look like this its pretty much fucked :classic_laugh:

!cid_097F864F-7695-42EA-A43C-38C5E584926A.thumb.jpg.6b77fe48816a8d49271280cef9fbcd68.jpg

You've been riding it in that condition Fred? :classic_ohmy:

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

How long can I avoid doing any chain maintenance without it possibly causing damage?

it'll tell you in your bike manual what the manufacturers recommendations are for chain maintenance. Triumph says to Lube evey 300km for mine but I don't do that. To be honest I just look at it periodically, if it looks a bit dry I'll lube it, or if I've been on a long run in bad weather.  I can tell by the feel of the gearchange and general vibrations, as well as ( on this bike) throttle snatch, if it needs tensioning a bit and am learning to detect when it needs a lube.  some bikes are more sensitive to it than others. Frequency will depend almost entirely on usage and conditions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, XTreme said:

before last weekends ride i checked

front and rear tyres for splits or damage

front and rear tyre pressures

front and rear wheel bearings for play

front and rear brake pads for wear

suspension bearings for play

Steering head bearings for play

chain tension

Oiled the chain

Checked the carb for water and shit in the float bowl

checked the air filter

checked the lights

Checked my spares

but missed the front sprocket for some reason, but it probably didn't need dentures when i left :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I just re read that and i am now unsure as to whether your referring to the cleanliness of the bike or the fucked sprocket after all your the first to say you know fuck all about anything mechanical :classic_laugh:

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I just re read that and i am now unsure as to whether your referring to the cleanliness of the bike or the fucked sprocket after all your the first to say you know fuck all about anything mechanical :classic_laugh:

you've misread him , Pete knows when something's not right, he just doesn't know how to do anything about it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3