Everything you wanted to know about Body Snatching

yen_powell

I rode to work and back this morning, it was like summer, warm enough to wear thin gloves and one less layer under my jacket, no need for heated grips. It was also overcast and windy but you can't have everything. Snow forecast over the weekend though, warmth is a temporary condition.

Two nutters followed me along a closed road asking me questions today about the site we were on. Either there are more about than usual or they are deliberately seeking me out. I think one was telling me he loved council workers, his diction wasn't great so I'm not sure. This was right by the Watch House built in the 1800s to stop people stealing bodies from the grave yard and selling them to the anatomists at the local teaching hospital, proving that there is a long and fine tradition of thievery in the area.

image.png.406a93206c78e1edfc955f4d0deb858a.png

“A watch-house stands at the corner of the churchyard. Body-snatching reached its peak during the 1820s and most London graveyards have, or had, watch-houses dating from that period. The Anatomy Act of 1832 put body-snatchers out of business. before that doctors could legally have only corpses of criminals for dissection.”

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

I rode to work and back this morning, it was like summer, warm enough to wear thin gloves and one less layer under my jacket, no need for heated grips. It was also overcast and windy but you can't have everything. Snow forecast over the weekend though, warmth is a temporary condition.

Two nutters followed me along a closed road asking me questions today about the site we were on. Either there are more about than usual or they are deliberately seeking me out. I think one was telling me he loved council workers, his diction wasn't great so I'm not sure. This was right by the Watch House built in the 1800s to stop people stealing bodies from the grave yard and selling them to the anatomists at the local teaching hospital, proving that there is a long and fine tradition of thievery in the area.

image.png.406a93206c78e1edfc955f4d0deb858a.png

“A watch-house stands at the corner of the churchyard. Body-snatching reached its peak during the 1820s and most London graveyards have, or had, watch-houses dating from that period. The Anatomy Act of 1832 put body-snatchers out of business. before that doctors could legally have only corpses of criminals for dissection.”

Some great information on body snatching there Yen!

Can't ever recall this subject coming up on any of our other forums in the past before.......so you're breaking new ground here so to speak. :classic_unsure:

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Some great information on body snatching there Yen!

Can't ever recall this subject coming up on any of our other forums in the past before.......so you're breaking new ground here so to speak. :classic_unsure:

There is a legend about petticoat Lane market that says if you walk though it your wristwatch will be removed from your wrist in the first few feet, but you can buy it back before you get to the other end.

• Haha 4

I split this into a new thread because @yen_powell for reasons best known to himself, decided to educate us all on Body Snatching in a thread about Lockdowns. :classic_unsure:

I don't normally split threads or bother about derailing, but this one was so off the wall I thought it needed closer attention.

Actually, one of the bike guys I knew in the early 70's went to Clink for Grave Robbing. I have no idea why he was doing that......neither did anybody else either! He was a complete psycho though.

So.....any Body Snatching experiences you can recall? I'm sure Yen will be able to analyse it......he seems very knowledgeable on this subject for some reason. :classic_unsure:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Better ban Mawsley from this thread. His predilection towards bestiality might turn to necrophilia on the lockdown diet

Yes..... @Mawsley is a very strange individual. He's been like that since I've known him......so I'm not responsible for his state of mind!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Like what Bob?

Like catching Goths shagging on top of graves, pissed blokes asleep in the graveyard, he did catch some blokes with shovels once but they had dogs with them and said they were 'rabbiting'   :classic_unsure:

• Haha 1

When I was in Ireland for a week, we had a single gorgeous sunny day. I saw an old grave yard in the village we were staying in and thought I'd have a walk through it. All peaceful, birdsong and butterflies it was. I walked round a large gravestone and nearly had a heart attack when I saw a bloke laid out on top of a stone slab  a few feet away snoring his head off.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, yen_powell said:

When I was in Ireland for a week, we had a single gorgeous sunny day. I saw an old grave yard in the village we were staying in and thought I'd have a walk through it. All peaceful, birdsong and butterflies it was. I walked round a large gravestone and nearly had a heart attack when I saw a bloke laid out on top of a stone slab  a few feet away snoring his head off.

Why are you always in Graveyards Yen? :classic_unsure:

• Haha 1