Professor Wankstain's science thread

Hi @Buckster.

So, this is what’s on today’s schedule in the lab: identification of some Bacillus isolates, where it's a pretty safe bet that at least one of them will turn out to be B. anthracis – that’s anthrax.

Now as I’m sure you know, this phylogenetic group is a bit of a bugger when it comes to characterisation because they are all so closely related, which makes it very tricky to separate the ones that are harmless from the ones that are lethal. Using toxin genes encoded in the plasmid is problematic because it doesn’t detect non-plasmid containing strains, and of course the sequences for the two pathogenic plasmids can be detected in uncharacterized genomes. There are some chromosomal regions that can be examined, but then again using real-time PCR to target the rpoB gene can throw up false positives among closely related non-anthrax species.

So, we have various options, one of which is to use suppressive subtractive hybridisation to identify specific chromosomal sequences unique to B. anthracis and then multiplex PCR four separate loci. If we get a positive, we then have to go through the whole palaver of deactivation, decontamination and disposal, plus all the compliance paperwork that goes along with that. It’s all a bit of a faff and bloody expensive – you wouldn’t believe what we spend just on PCR arrays every month!

So, I was wondering if a different approach might work. I remembered that those brainboxes over at one of those creationist websites where you get your proper science from wrote an article some years ago concluding that the real reason bacteria like B. anthracis are lethal when their closest relatives are not was because some of them turned bad when Adam ate the apple and allowed evil into the world. That got me thinking: do you suppose some sort of exorcism might be just as effective as what we’re doing? We could forego all the hassle and expense of identification and safe disposal and just assume they were all naughty, get the local vicar in to sprinkle some holy water and mumble some Latin over them and then just chuck the lot straight in the bin.

Obviously, if it works I’ll happily pay you a consideration for your consultancy services commensurate with the savings we make in efficiency and the reduction in our consumables expenditure. What do you reckon? All thoughts greatly appreciated…

👍

DSC_0793.JPG

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, XTreme said:

This sort of intellectual shit requires someone with the mental capacity of @Marcel le Moose Fondler to advise!

He is too busy trying to brew some homemade Rohypnol for his summertime plans.  😉

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, XTreme said:

This sort of intellectual shit requires someone with the mental capacity of @Marcel le Moose Fondler to advise!

Has a great brain  said many years ago...science without religion is lame...and religion without science is blind...

So from what I could read fast ..we're gonna dis- credit Buckster idea of young earth thing with micro biology...working on one of those German cars this morning..wich I hate doing...give me  few to download info on the micro world ...not a subject I'm very familiar with...

20240412_084745.jpg

9 minutes ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

So from what I could read fast ..we're gonna dis- credit Buckster idea of young earth thing with micro biology...working on one of those German cars this morning..wich I hate doing...give me  few to download info on the micro world ...not a subject I'm very familiar with...

20240412_084745.jpg

No, not at all. I'm just wondering if this might save me some time and money. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Otto von Jizzmark said:

And if Buckster isn't sure then I've got an experiment in mind that you're going to love. Of course, the local padre might not enjoy it quite so much if it doesn't work... 

Somebody trolling @Buckster!

Never thought I'd see the day! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Otto von Jizzmark said:

No, not at all. I'm just wondering if this might save me some time and money. 

Well if it's money you want to save on car repairs...I'm your man...lol.   and I prefer cash only...

• Haha 1

I appreciate that you are trying to add some value to your pseudo science however you misunderstand the nature of sin. An exorcism is only useful in the case if a demon possessed person. Sin alas cannot be fully mortified in our fallen world and will be with us until Christ returns.

The best I can offer you are the services of @Marcel le Moose Fondler and his extremely effective anthrax testing procedure, also known as "the lick test".

Licking Spy In The Wild GIF by ThirteenWNET

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

20240412_084745.jpg

German car indeed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

:littleguy: and now owned by china.

I thought Ford owned Volvo.

33 minutes ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

Anything not american made or Japanese...I classifying them has German..

Doesn't that make ordering parts a bit difficult?

2 hours ago, Buckster said:

I appreciate that you are trying to add some value to your pseudo science however you misunderstand the nature of sin. An exorcism is only useful in the case if a demon possessed person. Sin alas cannot be fully mortified in our fallen world and will be with us until Christ returns.

The best I can offer you are the services of @Marcel le Moose Fondler and his extremely effective anthrax testing procedure, also known as "the lick test".

Licking Spy In The Wild GIF by ThirteenWNET

This is what I was afraid of. None of my good ideas ever turn out the way I expected. That Dyson Ball Vac I bought was a massive disappointment as well - awkward to use and no better than washing them in the shower. And as for the ultrasonic ring cleaner...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Otto von Jizzmark said:

Hi @Buckster.

So, this is what’s on today’s schedule in the lab: identification of some Bacillus isolates, where it's a pretty safe bet that at least one of them will turn out to be B. anthracis – that’s anthrax.

Now as I’m sure you know, this phylogenetic group is a bit of a bugger when it comes to characterisation because they are all so closely related, which makes it very tricky to separate the ones that are harmless from the ones that are lethal. Using toxin genes encoded in the plasmid is problematic because it doesn’t detect non-plasmid containing strains, and of course the sequences for the two pathogenic plasmids can be detected in uncharacterized genomes. There are some chromosomal regions that can be examined, but then again using real-time PCR to target the rpoB gene can throw up false positives among closely related non-anthrax species.

So, we have various options, one of which is to use suppressive subtractive hybridisation to identify specific chromosomal sequences unique to B. anthracis and then multiplex PCR four separate loci. If we get a positive, we then have to go through the whole palaver of deactivation, decontamination and disposal, plus all the compliance paperwork that goes along with that. It’s all a bit of a faff and bloody expensive – you wouldn’t believe what we spend just on PCR arrays every month!

So, I was wondering if a different approach might work. I remembered that those brainboxes over at one of those creationist websites where you get your proper science from wrote an article some years ago concluding that the real reason bacteria like B. anthracis are lethal when their closest relatives are not was because some of them turned bad when Adam ate the apple and allowed evil into the world. That got me thinking: do you suppose some sort of exorcism might be just as effective as what we’re doing? We could forego all the hassle and expense of identification and safe disposal and just assume they were all naughty, get the local vicar in to sprinkle some holy water and mumble some Latin over them and then just chuck the lot straight in the bin.

Obviously, if it works I’ll happily pay you a consideration for your consultancy services commensurate with the savings we make in efficiency and the reduction in our consumables expenditure. What do you reckon? All thoughts greatly appreciated…

👍

DSC_0793.JPG

And now i know how Pete feels when i talk about tools or DIY, what does the red one taste like must be nice because there's only one left :classic_laugh:

• Haha 5