Professor Wankstain's science thread

53 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

And now i know how Pete feels when i talk about tools or DIY, what does the red one taste like must be nice because there's only one left :classic_laugh:

The red one was nothing remarkable, but the amber one next to it was a particularly potent strain of Bacillus cereus - perfect for the professional Elvis impersonator who wants to go the whole hog and die on the toilet.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Otto von Jizzmark said:

The red one was nothing remarkable, but the amber one next to it was a particularly potent strain of Bacillus cereus - perfect for the professional Elvis impersonator who wants to go the whole hog and die on the toilet.

Could you send me some ?...I'm about mail a special T shirt to Buckster 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

:littleguy: and now owned by china.

FFS......they're into everything!

I hope my Hernia mesh wasn't Chinese!

Did I mention that I'd had a Hernia?

Think Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Oh dear.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

Could you send me some ?...I'm about mail a special T shirt to Buckster 

Don’t forget to lick it to activate it.

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

The six million dollar Welsh twat... made with mostly Chinese parts...

3 hours ago, XTreme said:

I had an inguinal hernia repair six years ago after getting t-boned in the right hip. I had it done laparoscopically, so no photos unfortunately...

There are two things I remember about it. On was that it started snowing really heavily as I was waiting to go into theatre, and Robert Louis Stevenson’s ‘Weir of Hermiston’ popped into my head: “And he died as he thought he would, while the first snows of winter fell.” 😮

The other thing was just how well I was looked after whilst I was in the recovery suite - the nurses kept coming in to ask if I’d like more tea and cake, which I thought was fantastic. One of my oldest friends is a consultant there, and it was only later that she told me that she’d warned them all what to expect well in advance: “He’s a total fucking nightmare. The second he can stand up he’ll be out of there, and the only way you’ll stop him is to keep shoving tea and cake under his nose.” 🤣

• Haha 2

Just now, Otto von Jizzmark said:

I had an inguinal hernia repair six years ago after getting t-boned in the right hip.

Never heard of anybody getting a Hernia that way Mark?

Just now, XTreme said:

Never heard of anybody getting a Hernia that way Mark?

No, the consultant said it was unusual as well. I was 'performance go-karting' with some friends, and the 17-year old son of one of them (who'd only just passed his driving test) ploughed into me at full speed whilst I was stationary - straight into my right hip. The pain was absolutely excruciating for about five minutes, but after that I was fine. Then a couple of days later I was giving a presentation at a conference and spent the whole hour standing with my hand in my pocket to hold in the bit of intestine that was poking out! When I saw the surgeon after the op he said he'd had to use two pieces of mesh to close the hole because it was a pretty large tear.

I hope yours is all OK, because mine occasionally gives me a bit of discomfort. It's nothing major, but I can definitely feel the mesh in there sometimes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Otto von Jizzmark said:

No, the consultant said it was unusual as well. I was 'performance go-karting' with some friends, and the 17-year old son of one of them (who'd only just passed his driving test) ploughed into me at full speed whilst I was stationary - straight into my right hip. The pain was absolutely excruciating for about five minutes, but after that I was fine. Then a couple of days later I was giving a presentation at a conference and spent the whole hour standing with my hand in my pocket to hold in the bit of intestine that was poking out! When I saw the surgeon after the op he said he'd had to use two pieces of mesh to close the hole because it was a pretty large tear.

I hope yours is all OK, because mine occasionally gives me a bit of discomfort. It's nothing major, but I can definitely feel the mesh in there sometimes.

Old man wankstain had no business being on a go kart track next to Lewis Hamilton!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

Old man wankstain had no business being on a go kart track next to Lewis Hamilton!

Very true! To be honest I had no business being there at all - I came last every single time, and one of them weighed about 130 kg! 🤣

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Otto von Jizzmark said:

Very true! To be honest I had no business being there at all - I came last every single time, and one of them weighed about 130 kg! 🤣

130kg, you should have been the menace on track, not them!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Pedro said:

130kg, you should have been the menace on track, not them!

I think it was because I was on my second diesel XC90 at that point - going fast on four wheels was a totally alien concept!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Otto von Jizzmark said:

Hi @Buckster.

So, this is what’s on today’s schedule in the lab: identification of some Bacillus isolates, where it's a pretty safe bet that at least one of them will turn out to be B. anthracis – that’s anthrax.

Now as I’m sure you know, this phylogenetic group is a bit of a bugger when it comes to characterisation because they are all so closely related, which makes it very tricky to separate the ones that are harmless from the ones that are lethal. Using toxin genes encoded in the plasmid is problematic because it doesn’t detect non-plasmid containing strains, and of course the sequences for the two pathogenic plasmids can be detected in uncharacterized genomes. There are some chromosomal regions that can be examined, but then again using real-time PCR to target the rpoB gene can throw up false positives among closely related non-anthrax species.

So, we have various options, one of which is to use suppressive subtractive hybridisation to identify specific chromosomal sequences unique to B. anthracis and then multiplex PCR four separate loci. If we get a positive, we then have to go through the whole palaver of deactivation, decontamination and disposal, plus all the compliance paperwork that goes along with that. It’s all a bit of a faff and bloody expensive – you wouldn’t believe what we spend just on PCR arrays every month!

So, I was wondering if a different approach might work. I remembered that those brainboxes over at one of those creationist websites where you get your proper science from wrote an article some years ago concluding that the real reason bacteria like B. anthracis are lethal when their closest relatives are not was because some of them turned bad when Adam ate the apple and allowed evil into the world. That got me thinking: do you suppose some sort of exorcism might be just as effective as what we’re doing? We could forego all the hassle and expense of identification and safe disposal and just assume they were all naughty, get the local vicar in to sprinkle some holy water and mumble some Latin over them and then just chuck the lot straight in the bin.

Obviously, if it works I’ll happily pay you a consideration for your consultancy services commensurate with the savings we make in efficiency and the reduction in our consumables expenditure. What do you reckon? All thoughts greatly appreciated…

👍

DSC_0793.JPG

Here's a little article on some infamous anthrax.

9 hours ago, Otto von Jizzmark said:

All fine Mark......no twinges whatsoever. But I did have Open Surgery.....,not Keyhole.

I've heard of a few instances where there's been complications after that. I was talking to an old mate of mine in Brum who had it done in February, and he's getting issues.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zzzak said:

Here's a little article on some infamous anthrax.

Far worse things than that have happened – did you know about the bioweapons experiments the British government carried out on the general population during the Cold War? They ran a whole series of epidemiology and modelling studies over a 20+ year period in which ‘simulated’ bioweapons were released by various means and their effects tracked. They included large-scale release of species from the Bacillus subtilis group (to which anthrax belongs) in the London underground, an anthrax trial conducted off the coast of Scotland (where the risk mitigation appeared to rely predominantly on which direction the wind was likely to be blowing), fluorescent particle trials conducted in the 1950s and '60s in which planes flew from north-east England to the tip of Cornwall dropping huge amounts of zinc cadmium sulphide on the population (cadmium is now known to be carcinogenic), a smaller-scale experiment in Somerset where a ‘road sweeping truck’ was towed along a road near Frome spraying the stuff into the air for an hour, aerial release trials over the Dorset coast also using zinc cadmium sulphide and then later live release trials using species of the B. subtilis group… on and on it goes.

My first job interview after completing my PhD was at the biological weapons research unit at Porton Down, at the end of which one of the five interviewers said “And if offered the job you will need to consent to being vaccinated against bubonic plague.” I said “There is no vaccine against bubonic plague. What exactly are you doing here?” There was a steely exchange of glances, the interview ended, and that was the last I heard of it.

I went back to the carpark where my wife was waiting, and as it was past lunchtime she said “Where shall we go now?” I got in the passenger seat, shut the door and said “Anywhere that’s upwind.”

😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Otto von Jizzmark said:

Far worse things than that have happened – did you know about the bioweapons experiments the British government carried out on the general population during the Cold War? They ran a whole series of epidemiology and modelling studies over a 20+ year period in which ‘simulated’ bioweapons were releases by various means and their effects tracked. They included large-scale release of species from the Bacillus subtilis group (to which anthrax belongs) in the London underground, an anthrax trial conducted off the coast of Scotland (where the risk mitigation appeared to rely predominantly on which direction the wind was likely to be blowing), fluorescent particle trials conducted in the 1950s and '60s in which planes flew from north-east England to the tip of Cornwall dropping huge amounts of zinc cadmium sulphide on the population (cadmium is now known to be carcinogenic), a smaller-scale experiment in Somerset where a ‘road sweeping truck’ was towed along a road near Frome spraying the stuff into the air for an hour, aerial release trials over the Dorset coast also using zinc cadmium sulphide and then later live release trials using species of the B. subtilis group… on and on it goes.

My first job interview after completing my PhD was at the biological weapons research unit at Porton Down, at the end of which one of the five interviewers said “And if offered the job you will need to consent to being vaccinated against bubonic plague.” I said “There is no vaccine against bubonic plague. What exactly are you doing here?” There was a steely exchange of glances, the interview ended, and that was the last I heard of it.

I went back to the carpark where my wife was waiting, and as it was past lunchtime she said “Where shall we go now?” I got in the passenger seat, shut the door and said “Anywhere that’s upwind.”

😄

Nothing surprises me anymore, from chemtrails to weather modification and of course the latest vaccine, that also explains a few things about the Cornish.

image.png.f591049af06bc84b253a14d669d4db0f.png

Present company excepted.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Otto von Jizzmark said:

Far worse things than that have happened – did you know about the bioweapons experiments the British government carried out on the general population during the Cold War? They ran a whole series of epidemiology and modelling studies over a 20+ year period in which ‘simulated’ bioweapons were released by various means and their effects tracked. They included large-scale release of species from the Bacillus subtilis group (to which anthrax belongs) in the London underground, an anthrax trial conducted off the coast of Scotland (where the risk mitigation appeared to rely predominantly on which direction the wind was likely to be blowing), fluorescent particle trials conducted in the 1950s and '60s in which planes flew from north-east England to the tip of Cornwall dropping huge amounts of zinc cadmium sulphide on the population (cadmium is now known to be carcinogenic), a smaller-scale experiment in Somerset where a ‘road sweeping truck’ was towed along a road near Frome spraying the stuff into the air for an hour, aerial release trials over the Dorset coast also using zinc cadmium sulphide and then later live release trials using species of the B. subtilis group… on and on it goes.

😄

They were testing it on the people?

No doubt they'd have blamed it on the EU if they'd got their collar felt!

As a matter of interest, are they doing shit like that in Europe?

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Did you never hear about a thing called covid ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I think it’s a fairly safe bet that most countries will have done something similar. If I’ve learned one thing in my career it’s that no one government has the monopoly on dishonesty or stupidity.

• Like 1