Minerve, Herault - Medieval City

Tango

The sun was shining and the cold wind from the last few days had gone, so I decided that a little bimble was in order.

I topped the tank at our local supermarket and headed up to Coursan. Then across to the Narbonne northern bypass and peeled off north towards Ginestas. The traffic was pretty light, so it was easy going. A guy on a T100 Bonneville caught up with me just before Saint- Marcel - sur- Aude. We tried having a conversation at a set of lights, but engine noise and language barrier put paid to that! He turned off shortly after anyway.

I carried on North and eventually crossed the Argeliers - Trebes road.  This is where the ride starts getting a bit more interesting,  as the road was then heading into the Corbieres hills. After a bit, I turned off this road to head towards the medieval town of Minerve. This road follows the hillside on one side of the valley of the river Cesse, so it twists and turns around rocky outcrops. French drivers have the mindset that nothing should be coming the other way on blind bends, so extra care is needed to not meet one of them on your side of the road when coming around these bends.

I stopped just before the town to get some photos. The town is perched on a rocky point where two rivers meet and have carved two valleys/canyons through the rocky landscape.

I rode through the town and headed up to the carpark that overlooks it. There's not much of a view of the town from there, so I decided to carry on up the single track road into the hills for a bit. There didn't seem to be too much more up in that direction, but there were some nice views towards the Pyrénées.  It was a bit hazy, so the snow on the peaks was barely visible.

I headed back down to the town and set sail for home. I stopped once more to take some pictures of a village, sitting between a low cliff and the river, which has no water in it at the moment.

I took a slightly different route back. Going through Argeliers and Capestang, before peeling off towards the south again, through Montels and Nissan- les-Enserune and back to home.

Not a huge ride, probably around 100-110km, but nice to get out on the bike for a while.

IMG_20240207_1054142.thumb.jpg.e4d8e21e40d03522ca781497edd03b48.jpg

IMG_20240207_105356.thumb.jpg.bdd3b5a4c7d00d4d3d5014cfe3f27bba.jpg

IMG_20240207_111123.thumb.jpg.d527650658a127f6a7a15c0d9811e61f.jpg

IMG_20240207_111226.thumb.jpg.9c849e1d6f02620e884837b59bb0ba29.jpg

IMG_20240207_1124572.thumb.jpg.1458c6a6453b919f45eb723bed37a7ab.jpg

IMG_20240207_113509.thumb.jpg.93f1e1d96fe22301ba8b855c984870fa.jpg

IMG_20240207_113532.thumb.jpg.819ea6f12d814ca29f981b5019aed123.jpg

IMG_20240207_112530.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Very nice Bob!

And such a different environment to mine.

Cheers Pete. We've got quite a variety of terrain around here. The beach and Mediterranean on one side and the Pyrénées and massive centrale to our West and North. Then there's the Alps a few hours the other way! It's a nice place to live.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Marcel said:

Nice one Tango. 

I smiled when I rode through Saint-Marcel-sur- Aude! 😉👍

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Cracking Bob, those roads look ace. The village sort of reminds me of Rocamadour  👍

Cheers Bob. The roads are nice at this time of year, mate......not so much in August! 😉😂😂 I've not been to Rocamadour, although, it looks like that's in the Massif Central too, just a good bit further north.  👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Open big views from the top, canyons on the bottom, lovely!

Yes, it's pretty spectacular.  👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tango said:

Cheers Bob. The roads are nice at this time of year, mate......not so much in August! 😉😂😂 I've not been to Rocamadour, although, it looks like that's in the Massif Central too, just a good bit further north.  👍

it's in the Lot department, my mate lives about 15kms from there............

France2016086.thumb.JPG.ddb545043d2faac622c293263244372a.JPG

• Like 4

On 07/02/2024 at 14:28, XTreme said:

Very nice Bob!

And such a different environment to mine.

yeh... it looks really nice where bob lives .

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

You should pay him a visit!

think i'll go and see @boboneleg he's aways posting pics of food... i'll eat better there i think.... plus i got this picture in my head that @Tango is always wearing  tight lycra shorts.... 

No Way Do Not Want GIF

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, Six30 said:

think i'll go and see @boboneleg he's aways posting pics of food... i'll eat better there i think.... plus i got this picture in my head that @Tango is always wearing  tight lycra shorts.... 

No Way Do Not Want GIF

I do, but under trackies or MTB shorts, I don't like showing off my bits, unlike someone I could mention! 😉😂😂

• Haha 5