Second Weekend in November!

XTreme

Well my weekend is going to consist of trying to shift this cough, food shopping, spending time with the sprog and probably not a great deal else, I do now have myself a desktop pc though which is good 

• Like 2

Shit start to the weekend just been to my Uncle's funeral, very raw and emotional, he was one of the very few in my family that I was close to.   Gonna go out on the Hornet in a minute after a brew to clear my head. 

Then doze this afternoon for work tonight.   Saturday is clear so hopefully can finish running in my Hornet once I have slept.  Sunday I have Christmas Choir practice down the west then work again overnight after the Wassailing.   

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Saul said:

Shit start to the weekend just been to my Uncle's funeral, very raw and emotional, he was one of the very few in my family that I was close to.   Gonna go out on the Hornet in a minute after a brew to clear my head. 

Then doze this afternoon for work tonight.   Saturday is clear so hopefully can finish running in my Hornet once I have slept.  Sunday I have Christmas Choir practice down the west then work again overnight after the Wassailing.   

Nothing like a nice long bike ride by yourself to help cope with emotions.

• Like 7

Weather is depressing outside. Tomorrow I might take the GS to my mechanic for a service, spark plugs and valve check. Also going to be taking the clutch apart to measure a certain shaft for play, the clutch has been acting weird in a way that makes it feel like it never completely disengages so makes it harder to find neutral, and makes it clunky (more than the usual clunky) from first to second gear, this is usually a symptom of a worn clutch on these bikes but that isn't the case. If it comes out with a clean bill of health I'll maybe go for a proper ride in a few days.

Apart from that, nothing planned.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Saul said:

Sorry to hear about that Saul, never good when you lose someone close

• Like 2

Just now, BusaBullshitterbeast said:

Sorry to hear about that Saul, never good when you lose someone close

Cheers Mate 👍  Note to self ,eat before attending a funeral, low blood sugar doesn't help.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Weather is depressing outside. Tomorrow I might take the GS to my mechanic for a service, spark plugs and valve check. Also going to be taking the clutch apart to measure a certain shaft for play, the clutch has been acting weird in a way that makes it feel like it never completely disengages so makes it harder to find neutral, and makes it clunky (more than the usual clunky) from first to second gear, this is usually a symptom of a worn clutch on these bikes but that isn't the case. If it comes out with a clean bill of health I'll maybe go for a proper ride in a few days.

You don't have to split the bike in half to do the clutch on yours?

28 minutes ago, Saul said:

Shit start to the weekend just been to my Uncle's funeral

All my aunts and uncles bar 1 have passed away, my last remaining aunt (93 years old) lives in Canada, so no chance of getting to her funeral when the time comes.

Sorry for your loss @Saul 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, XTreme said:

You don't have to split the bike in half to do the clutch on yours?

No, on mine there's a cover in front of the engine, behind the front wheel, and behind that is where the clutch is. Similar to how you take the side cover from a normal bike to access it only bigger. Now all you need is to compress the front suspension a little bit with a strap and you access the clutch.

The old way was better though, I like that the gearbox and clutch don't contaminate the engine oil like they do now and on almost all bikes. On an old one fit a ceramic clutch and it'll last a really long time.

• Like 3

Just the usual here, i may clear the fallen leaves, and I have a washer & tumble dryer (daughters) to look at, she seems to have overloaded it and buggered up the bearings...again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, XTreme said:

€1300 replacement cost at a main dealer here though.

If they're charging you 50 or 70€ an hour and invoicing you from BMW's scheduled maintenance times, maybe, but that's not the reality of things in a good specialized mechanic. Granted, if having a very cheap bike to fix is a priority, don't get a BMW boxer of any generation, I think they're inexpensive to run according to plan but breakdowns are sometimes costly.

• Like 4

I did a clutch renewal on (when I had one) my Yamaha T Max scoot, what a faff about that was, so many components to it. 

Not a engine out job, but a pain to do it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Clive said:

I did a clutch renewal on (when I had one) my Yamaha T Max scoot, what a faff about that was, so many components to it. 

Not a engine out job, but a pain to do it.

I think that BMW's clutch isn't that bad. You take the rear off or lift it up, and it does look dramatic but a mechanic used to do that job will do it with little fuss. Somethings on other bikes take forever, like just checking the valves on an Africa Twin or a Super Tenere for example. The engine stays in but it's labour intensive to get to it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Saul said:

My condolences Saul to you and your family.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pedro said:

Its time... do it.

71824391-AE71-411E-8B87-9567C44B0B1B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Saul said:

Sorry to hear that Saul, it's a very hard thing, hope the times passes as best it can.

• Thanks 1

Turns out my bikes service was moved to monday, there's a 1600 scattered in parts all over the place :classic_laugh:. Suits me fine, saturday is the day when punters show up for a chat and a coffee, and then never go away. Also it's probably going to be raining a lot.

• Like 1

Not doing much ...I'll be trying to physically and mentally recoup....crazy busy at work...been dealing with a bad knee...have to brace myself at home wyll going up the stairs..I've got to get some gaz in the indian tank...it's empty. 

8 minutes ago, Pedro said:

there's a 1600 scattered in parts all over the place

Much as I love the riding experience on a GS, it's situations like that one that keep me owning a boring Honda!