Word on the Street!

XTreme

There's a rumour circulating that Honda may be putting that new 750 motor into a retro! And allegedly it's going to be based on the original K0 styling!

13(1).jpg.a15b943194672f541544df2beca7c304.jpg

If they do it authentically with a 19" front wheel then it's got my attention. Along with probably thousands of others who spent many years in their younger days on 750 Hondas!

By a strange coincidence, the 3 sons I had in my first marriage (1977, 1980, 1982) and the eldest boy from my second marriage (1988) were all born when I had SOHC 750 Fours, and the youngest from my second marriage (1991) was born when I had a DOHC 750 Four!

However, even if I did get one of those Retros, the chances of son number 6 turning up are fairly remote! And probably biologically impossible! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

My mate used to have one with a bent frame (from a crash) , it still rode ok.

He abandoned it once near Caldicot when it cut out and wouldn’t start. We went back three months later , fired some easy start down the bell mouths and it started second go .

He carried on riding it for another two years with minimal maintenance and it kept on going 👍

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

My mate used to have one with a bent frame (from a crash) , it still rode ok.

He abandoned it once near Caldicot when it cut out and wouldn’t start. We went back three months later , fired some easy start down the bell mouths and it started second go .

He carried on riding it for another two years with minimal maintenance and it kept on going 👍

They were brilliant......heavy old lump though!

But weight wasn't an issue for us back then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

There's a rumour circulating that Honda may be putting that new 750 motor into a retro! And allegedly it's going to be based on the original K0 styling!

13(1).jpg.a15b943194672f541544df2beca7c304.jpg

If they do it authentically with a 19" front wheel then it's got my attention. Along with probably thousands of others who spent many years in their younger days on 750 Hondas!

By a strange coincidence, the 3 sons I had in my first marriage (1977, 1980, 1982) and the eldest boy from my second marriage (1988) were all born when I had SOHC 750 Fours, and the youngest from my second marriage (1991) was born when I had a DOHC 750 Four!

However, even if I did get one of those Retros, the chances of son number 6 turning up are fairly remote! And probably biologically impossible! :classic_laugh:

Did you ever think when you were out riding your bike someone was  in riding your ex :classic_laugh:

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Did you ever think when you were out riding your bike someone was  in riding your ex :classic_laugh:

No......she didn't smell too clever most of the time.

Not just fish......she had bad body odour!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I had an F1 to commute on for a few years good bike bought it in kit form for £300 it came with a new Honda seat still in the wrapper which was £300 on its own so i'd bought a new seat and a bike came with it LOL

Red or yellow? I ended up owning 3 yellows!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XTreme said:

No......she didn't smell too clever most of the time.

Not just fish......she had bad body odour!

You'd be surprised where men will go you were there for a start, If you saw my brothers ex wife you would think who the fuck would have an affair with that they must be blind but someone did :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

From memory i remember mine as brown but i think it was supposed to be that Burgundy sort of colour

Yeh.....it was a Burgundy Red!

I'd still be interested in the retro if it was built like the F series though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Yeh.....it was a Burgundy Red!

I'd still be interested in the retro if it was built like the F series though.

My boss has a totally restored K1 and i always thought i'd like one until i took it out, when i came back i said to him how the fuck did i ride one of these to work everyday and not die LOL Obviously a modern version would be a lot safer to ride

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

My boss has a totally restored K1 and i always thought i'd like one until i took it out, when i came back i said to him how the fuck did i ride one of these to work everyday and not die LOL Obviously a modern version would be a lot safer to ride

Different generations of machinery......even riding a Z1 now would seem fairly pedestrian, whereas 50 years ago it seemed incredible.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Different generations of machinery......even riding a Z1 now would seem fairly pedestrian, whereas 50 years ago it seemed incredible.

I always wanted to restore a DT175MX as it was the first bike i ever owned i thought it was a great bike and have some fantastic memories on it of exploring  where i lived, getting chased by the Police and getting away and getting stopped by the police and not getting away LOL but after seeing a few in the flesh now i just think nah it would just be another pain in the arse to look after.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I always wanted to restore a DT175MX as it was the first bike i ever owned i thought it was a great bike and have some fantastic memories on it of exploring on where i lived, getting chased by the Police and getting away and getting stopped by the police and not getting away LOL but after seeing a few in the flesh now i just think nah it would just be another pain in the arse to look after.

You'd find it very agricultural!

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

You'd be surprised where men will go you were there for a start, If you saw my brothers ex wife you would think who the fuck would have an affair with that they must be blind but someone did :classic_laugh:

They also married them, both your brother and @XTreme

A quick shag is nothing next to “forever and ever” marriage

• Haha 1

Forget it @XTreme, it’ll never have a 19 inch on the front. And the bike’s character will be completely different being a 2 cylinder. 

I don’t know what it is, I have very little experience and have ridden maybe 10 bikes at most, but I do also find smaller wheels kind of weird in corners.

• Like 3

Why not go for a ride on a Kawasaki retro, though? They look very nice in person, and are very comfy to sit on. 

The paint on the 900 is amazing, only maybe Harley does something so nice. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I don’t know what it is, I have very little experience and have ridden maybe 10 bikes at most, but I do also find smaller wheels kind of weird in corners.

It's only since the 90's (I think) when 17" wheels became the norm.

So I did an awful lot of riding before that time and always on 19 and 21 inch wheels.....that's what is normal to me.

I tend to find that 17 inch wheels never want to drop into corners in a way that suits the way I ride. To me, they feel like they want to run wide.

I think @Skippy has the same issue......which kinda figures because we come from the same era.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Why not go for a ride on a Kawasaki retro, though? They look very nice in person, and are very comfy to sit on. 

The paint on the 900 is amazing, only maybe Harley does something so nice. 

But neither of them look as good as the originals.....and they're 17 inch wheels.

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

But neither of them look as good as the originals.....and they're 17 inch wheels.

New bikes can’t look as good as classics, but they did manage a good compromise with that 900. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

New bikes can’t look as good as classics, but they did manage a good compromise with that 900. 

Except for that stupid brake reservoir floating about on the handlebar!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Except for that stupid brake reservoir floating about on the handlebar!

Look at one up close. They’re really good looking. All those little things are fixable, except the wheel size.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

It's not the performance but the chassis and the brakes.  My mates Z1 back in the day was feckin dangerous in fast bends.

• Like 3