Matchless

Catteeclan

I've been working on a matchless g3l recently. He wanted the head gasket doing along with an oil change and the fitting of a universal brake light switch. Took me 2 goes to sort the gasket as I was being a pussy with the head torque apparently. First go I took the little bolts down to 30lbs but 35 sorted it the second time. Warmed it up to dump the oil then it wouldn't start again. After much faffing with the ignitor unit, with points, I got it sorted again and took it for a run. Gears on the wrong side and 1 up 3 down had me pissing myself but once I'd got myself sorted I bloody loved it. Didn't need any revs it just plodding away. He's thinking about an electronic ignitor so it looks like I get to ride it again soon. It just like the AJS I photo'd at Skeyton a couple of weekends back.

IMG_4610.thumb.jpeg.96ad308faf4d2de28bc9af4291692b48.jpeg

IMG_4604copy.thumb.jpg.988091293681efd4ffa1d3060e78537c.jpg

Got this old girl fired up for the first time in a while too. First without exhausts but ran it and tweaked the carbs once they were on. Forgot how much I liked the smell.

IMG_4579copy.thumb.jpg.a6c90948a9f7493fa5d468a08cce9d74.jpg

Who remembers these? :classic_laugh:
IMG_4666copy.thumb.jpg.e6d1dc24572fcc10e164ccfafec62924.jpg

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

I've been working on a matchless g3l recently. He wanted the head gasket doing along with an oil change and the fitting of a universal brake light switch. Took me 2 goes to sort the gasket as I was being a pussy with the head torque apparently. First go I took the little bolts down to 30lbs but 35 sorted it the second time. Warmed it up to dump the oil then it wouldn't start again. After much faffing with the ignitor unit, with points, I got it sorted again and took it for a run. Gears on the wrong side and 1 up 3 down had me pissing myself but once I'd got myself sorted I bloody loved it. Didn't need any revs it just plodding away. He's thinking about an electronic ignitor so it looks like I get to ride it again soon. It just like the AJS I photo'd at Skeyton a couple of weekends back.

IMG_4610.thumb.jpeg.96ad308faf4d2de28bc9af4291692b48.jpeg

IMG_4604copy.thumb.jpg.988091293681efd4ffa1d3060e78537c.jpg

Got this old girl fired up for the first time in a while too. First without exhausts but ran it and tweaked the carbs once they were on. Forgot how much I liked the smell.

IMG_4579copy.thumb.jpg.a6c90948a9f7493fa5d468a08cce9d74.jpg

Who remembers these? :classic_laugh:
IMG_4666copy.thumb.jpg.e6d1dc24572fcc10e164ccfafec62924.jpg

Excellent Dave! I bet not many of these modern bike shops could work on something like that?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Six30 said:

Wish I could do stuff like that

I’m probably on par with xtreme when it comes to mechanics 

No sweat.......you can join our mechanically clueless club!

You'll be in good company......me and this man!

spacer.png

He's the one who nobody could identify as being mechanically clueless.

He'd turn up to a race meet after a night of drinking and womanising along with Bill Ivy and not even know what fucking bike he was riding. :classic_laugh:

Once he got on the bike he'd say "Which way does the track go and what's the lap record?" Then go out there and wipe the floor with everybody and smash the lap record!

Unique talent.....but didn't know one end of a spanner from the other! I'm exactly the same......well apart from the talent bit obviously! :classic_unsure:

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, XTreme said:

Excellent Dave! I bet not many of these modern bike shops could work on something like that?

There's still a few of us old timers about.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Looks like i can stop wondering where that went now :classic_laugh:

IMG_4604copy.thumb.jpg.988091293681efd4ffa1d3060e78537c.jpg.f2fa45d3622cd02426d36179e7f172b6.jpg

Like you I'm always losing the bloody things. Being magnetic isn't always a good thing.

There's a long term joke running between me and an old school mate. We're always accusing each other of pinching tools when ever we go round.
Normally starts with, "You thieving basted".:classic_laugh:

• Haha 3