2024 European Trip - where to?

Earache

Sitting in a Texas bar with my buddy Dave, we were discussing trips for 2024 and the desire to go further afield. 

Thought we'd give someplace in Europe a try this time.

I've done England, Scotland and Ireland a bunch of times - so don't really wanna go there. Have done Germany, Italy, Switzerland and France a few times as well, but would go back. Dave has never done any of Europe.

So where would you guys suggest we go - and why?

14 minutes ago, Earache said:

Sitting in a Texas bar with my buddy Dave, we were discussing trips for 2024 and the desire to go further afield. 

Thought we'd give someplace in Europe a try this time.

I've done England, Scotland and Ireland a bunch of times - so don't really wanna go there. Have done Germany, Italy, Switzerland and France a few times as well, but would go back. Dave has never done any of Europe.

So where would you guys suggest we go - and why?

Spain and Portugal could be an option......but avoid June, July, and August!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Spain and Portugal could be an option......but avoid June, July, and August!

I've been to Spain a couple of times - but mostly to see the race at Jerez. Didn't get to see much else during one trip and saw a little more on the second trip - still not enough though.

I'll assume bike hire is available there? Any recommendations for hire shops?

• Like 1

Just now, Earache said:

I've been to Spain a couple of times - but mostly to see the race at Jerez. Didn't get to see much else during one trip and saw a little more on the second trip - still not enough though.

I'll assume bike hire is available there? Any recommendations for hire shops?

It depends where you're flying in......most likely Madrid!

https://www.wellcomebikersespana.com/

https://www.beebiker.com/

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marcel said:

Oh the land where my superior genom originated...got to check it out one of these days..I have to say I still look fresh enough for a 58 year young..what do you say Buck  ?

20230328_144333.jpg

Bom Dia Hello GIF by Kevin Carter

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marcel said:

Oh you want hair....check out this specimen...my grade 7 pic..I had to beat off the girls...they all wanted me ...

Screenshot_20230501_064443_Gallery.jpg

One for Six's wank bank. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

I’ve got a couple of suggestions…

will be on later today about them. How long would such a trip be?

I'd think around 10 days in country with 2 travel days on each end.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Earache said:

I'd think around 10 days in country with 2 travel days on each end.

Assuming you would wish to get away from the snow to do that, I would recommend a April or May full Portugal trip, land in Porto, go up the Douro and explore the northern border after that, then head south all the way down to the Algarve only on tiny roads. You would see a Portugal most travelers don’t and some great roads that are often also missed. Sofia is making a mototour business, she would probably be interested in using you as a test for very little money and more for feedback and word of mouth potential, I’d be happy to colaborate with her and guide you if you want, just for fun. Smaller and maybe more interesting roads than for her normal older and less confident clients, with plenty of places to really enjoy riding a motorcycle like they’re meant to, and a mix of comfortable fancier hotels with more authentic and quaint locations, and a real taste of the diverse proper Portuguese food and two major wine regions.

we could end in Faro for a day or two of relaxation by the sea before flying out of Faro, or back a little north to Lisbon or Porto and fly out from each of the locations.  Bike hire would be possible with different pick up and drop off locations. 

Would you guys be two couples or two singles? Sporty riding or not really?

Or, if you want to challenge yourself a little more, 10 days would be great for a Morocco trip, arriving and leaving from Marrakech. Not very European though.

• Like 4

You can do proper summer but chances of over 35º are higher, not everyone’s taste.

You can also do proper winter like December/February, and if the weather is good it’s a great experience, if it’s not you get 10 days of rain and shit weather and it would ruin my experience if it was me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marcel said:

Oh you want hair....check out this specimen...my grade 7 pic..I had to beat off the girls...they all had cocks...

Screenshot_20230501_064443_Gallery.jpg

Enough said really

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Six30 said:

@busabeast you seen this.......  fuck @XTreme we need to go to Portugal.

Not a bad shout mate, someone who can ride in the wet.......

Though I'd force the old nut to ride in the rain just to watch him wobble about from puddle to puddle

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

You can do proper summer but chances of over 35º are higher, not everyone’s taste.

You can also do proper winter like December/February, and if the weather is good it’s a great experience, if it’s not you get 10 days of rain and shit weather and it would ruin my experience if it was me.

35C doesn't bother me at all - so it'd probably be more of a May / June time frame should we go there.

Did a three week tour in Ireland once - rained each and every day. So I'd rather keep with the dry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Assuming you would wish to get away from the snow to do that, I would recommend a April or May full Portugal trip, land in Porto, go up the Douro and explore the northern border after that, then head south all the way down to the Algarve only on tiny roads. You would see a Portugal most travelers don’t and some great roads that are often also missed. Sofia is making a mototour business, she would probably be interested in using you as a test for very little money and more for feedback and word of mouth potential, I’d be happy to colaborate with her and guide you if you want, just for fun. Smaller and maybe more interesting roads than for her normal older and less confident clients, with plenty of places to really enjoy riding a motorcycle like they’re meant to, and a mix of comfortable fancier hotels with more authentic and quaint locations, and a real taste of the diverse proper Portuguese food and two major wine regions.

we could end in Faro for a day or two of relaxation by the sea before flying out of Faro, or back a little north to Lisbon or Porto and fly out from each of the locations.  Bike hire would be possible with different pick up and drop off locations. 

Would you guys be two couples or two singles? Sporty riding or not really?

Or, if you want to challenge yourself a little more, 10 days would be great for a Morocco trip, arriving and leaving from Marrakech. Not very European though.

Ohhh - that sounds good; be a tour guide guinea pig! I'd kinda like that actually. Hate wine - so no need to see any of that. Be up for the food though.

As far as I know, it'd be one couple (Dave and Debbie) and myself. Doubt my wife will do another long tour after the Ireland debacle.  Neither of us are shy of sporty rides.

I think Morocco might be out; but can discuss with Dave when I see him next month.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Earache said:

As far as I know, it'd be one couple (Dave and Debbie) and myself. Doubt my wife will do another long tour after the Ireland debacle.  Neither of us are shy of sporty rides.

I think your 10 day stay in Portugal is just right for a proper tour of the country, with plenty of stops to look at stuff everyday and stopping early for refreshments and maybe swimming pool. I’m not really one for museums and proper tours around places but some of the history does deserve a stop to be looked at.

• Like 2