Honda’s Jump Control Rider Aid

Hugh Janus

Dakar Rally champion Ricky Brabec clearly does not need help flying through the air.
Dakar Rally champion Ricky Brabec clearly does not need help flying through the air. (HRC/)

The march of technology means that whether you pine for the analog days of the past or embrace the computer-assisted wizardry of the latest crop of bikes, there’s no denying the fact that rider-assist systems are only going to get more elaborate and capable in years to come. The latest proposal from Honda is Jump Control—a rider aid specifically aimed at off-road machines.

We’re already used to ABS and traction control, but they’re just the start. Wheelie control, engine-braking assist, launch control, even slide-control systems to help mere mortals look like riding gods on track, are all available on existing production bikes. Superbikes tend to lead the way, but this trend actually started with off-road and ADV machines, where selectable power modes—the first shot in the rider-assist revolution—were first introduced. Now Honda is once again looking toward the off-road market and how rider aids can improve safety, filing an application for a patent over a Jump Control system that will help riders feel their way into aerial maneuvers.

The system is illustrated on a bike that looks like the Dakar-oriented CRF450 Rally, and it’s perhaps in rally-raid racing, where riders face mile after mile of dunes and fatigue, that it would come into its own. It’s largely based on familiar systems like ride-by-wire throttle, ABS, and lean sensors, but adds one less common one, a nose-mounted camera, into the mix along with an image-processing computer.

In operation, the camera “sees” slopes as you approach them, using the bike’s lean sensors to work out their orientation, so even if you’re in a corner as you approach the slope it can assess its height and distance. From there, the system operates a bit like traction control and the other rider aids we’re familiar with, using presets to decide how much it should intervene.

The proposed system has three modes. Mode A would keep the motorcycle on the ground altogether, B would allow the bike to fly, but control the bike in the air to ensure a level landing, while C would allow the front of the bike to be elevated for a rear-wheel landing.
The proposed system has three modes. Mode A would keep the motorcycle on the ground altogether, B would allow the bike to fly, but control the bike in the air to ensure a level landing, while C would allow the front of the bike to be elevated for a rear-wheel landing. (Honda/)

In Jump Mode A the system intervenes the most, reducing the bike’s speed as you approach the top of the slope to ensure the wheels never leave the ground at all, using throttle and, if necessary, brakes to do so. Essentially, then, it’s a jump-prevention system, rather like the wheelie-prevention systems that are already used on many bikes. Suspension stroke sensors and front and rear wheel speed sensors will tell the system whether the bike is on the ground or not.

For more advanced riders, there’s Jump Mode B. which enables moderate jumps and helps you keep control in the air. The system has a target-flight distance and, depending on the angle of the jump slope, can reduce throttle to make sure you don’t exceed it. As with modern traction-control and slide-control systems, the chances are that there would be sub-menus allowing the target-flight distance to be modified.

Jump Mode C allows the least intervention.
Jump Mode C allows the least intervention. (Honda/)

Once in the air, the system uses the throttle and rear brake to control the bike’s attitude. More throttle tends to make the front rise, dabbing the rear brake will bring it down—that’s something experienced off-road riders will do anyway, but Honda’s system automates it to keep the bike’s flight angle under control. In Jump Mode B, the system aims to keep the bike close to horizontal and achieve a two-wheel landing. The patent also shows a more advanced Jump Mode C that still gives the computer control over the bike’s attitude and the overall distance of the jump but adopts a more nose-up posture during flight and aims to land on the rear wheel first. Jump Mode C would also be likely to allow higher takeoff speeds and longer flight distances.

The Jump Control system would use a camera, tied into all of the other systems, to determine the angle of the slope and intervene accordingly. Dakar champ Ricky Brabec seems to be doing just fine without electronic intervention.
The Jump Control system would use a camera, tied into all of the other systems, to determine the angle of the slope and intervene accordingly. Dakar champ Ricky Brabec seems to be doing just fine without electronic intervention. (HRC/)

The system appears to be aimed at novice and intermediate riders, and no doubt more experienced riders will always prefer full control, but given the ever-growing popularity of off-road machines and Dakar-inspired adventure bikes, it’s easy to see how a system to take some of the fear out of jumps could be appreciated by customers coming to them for the first time.

Source

Honda.. managing to smooth the excitement out of everything

Sleep Pain GIF by Cartoon Hangover

ps if someone was going to hyperthetically look at Honda’s and wanted something fun with a bit of go what model would they look at?

Asking for a friend. 

And Pete need only reply if he promises to lock up his fanboy badges beforehand 😆

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

if someone was going to hyperthetically look at Honda’s and wanted something fun with a bit of go what model would they look at?

A Pacific Coast!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

You find multiple bike ownership confusing?

I think it's more a case of a number of bikes being bought within a relatively short space of time.....and then hardly getting ridden.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I want a bike not a Hot Tub Time Machine experience. 

Did you have a bad hot tub experience?

Hot Tub Love GIF by jjjjjohn

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I like bikes and I’ve got the money so why not, life’s short. 

Well you're in the right place to get a cracking deal on a Spanish registered CB500X that you can use over here!

Even got 3 months manufacturers warranty left on it as well.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Well you're in the right place to get a cracking deal on a Spanish registered CB500X that you can use over here!

Sick of all the gay comments?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Buckster said:

Sick of all the gay comments?

Not at all......makes no odds to me!

And if I kept the CB forever then that would be fine.....it's a great bike.

But I do like the look of the new Transalp! And I still like the CRF as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Not at all......makes no odds to me!

And if I kept the CB forever then that would be fine.....it's a great bike.

But I do like the look of the new Transalp! And I still like the CRF as well.

They are both gay as well so nothing will change.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

ps if someone was going to hyperthetically look at Honda’s and wanted something fun with a bit of go what model would they look at?

Asking for a friend. 

And Pete need only reply if he promises to lock up his fanboy badges beforehand 😆

It's not just Honda Ktm have wheelie control so someone like me who cant wheelie can look like a pro on a KTM and their traction control also allows you to power slide with very little risk of falling off, great in gravel i hear 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, XTreme said:

Bloody hell Pete, not again already?! 

And yet somehow you don’t get multiple bike ownership 😆 Suppose you don’t need to when you change your bike more often than Yen changes his undercackers. 

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

And yet somehow you don’t get multiple bike ownership 😆 Suppose you don’t need to when you change your bike more often than Yen changes his undercackers. 

I've had two bikes at the same time on a few occasions over the years......and always ended up just riding one of them.

The other one was always just sitting there!

FILE1767.JPG.fa65200dd1e45e8bdddabb04e462c798.JPG

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Asking for a friend. 

This … CB 1000r , bought this new in 2010 ,  done away with cat/muffler put a yoshi on it … cracking bike 

D5F6A606-DE1F-4347-AD6F-B3A8D0E65F39.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Everyone changes their bike more often than Yen changes his underkaks. 

• Haha 2