Battery jump starters

Some may already know the airport parking for the bikes has been good right up til recently when the electricity prices went up and now will only charge the battery if you email 24 hours before and pay €10 so without warning I arrived to find two dead bikes. 

Looking for solutions for what is possibly an on going problem I stumbled on this brand which I'm surprised I haven't encountered before because they are everywhere. Not cheap (although cheaper than the total cost of getting stranded this time) and what price peace of mind.

The joy of this version is if you use their battery conditioner you don't even need to get to the battery, you can connect the jump starter via their equivalent of an SAE connecter. No spending time mucking about getting clamps on battery terminals just plug into the port and it's done. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-GBX45-UltraSafe-Powerbank-4-0-Liter/dp/B0924V8SPC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=E0QDI3Y7UJA1&keywords=noco+45&qid=1679316837&quartzVehicle=95-11596&replacementKeywords=noco&sprefix=noco+45%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Just ordered the jump starter to a locker for collection tomoz but the battery conditioner will be arriving next week with Mr Slowly as I wanted a UK plug rather than and EU one for those.

• Like 1

Good choice although I'm not so sure that you needed something quite so powerful for a bike.   This is my my GB20 , I've never had to use it on a bike yet but it has started several cars with ease including a 3.5l V6 and a Ford Transit 👍

IMG_4009.thumb.jpeg.69fe3241643b8a00d5244cbbe96b1777.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Good choice although I'm not so sure that you needed something quite so powerful for a bike.   This is my my GB20 , I've never had to use it on a bike yet but it has started several cars with ease including a 3.5l V6 and a Ford Transit 👍

Well there's a good endorsement. Thanks Bob.

Over here the 45 is slightly cheaper and as they're roughly the same size I went for that one.

As it will be sitting uncharged for sometime I figure it can afford to lose more charge than a smaller unit. 

It may also have to do two bikes potentially more than once. 

The phone charger element is a big pus. Being a bit stuck was one thing but a dying phone leaves you unable to sort anything out. Contingency plans when you have no connectivity and can't use google translate aren't the most fun 😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Well there's a good endorsement. Thanks Bob.

Over here the 45 is slightly cheaper and as they're roughly the same size I went for that one.

As it will be sitting uncharged for sometime I figure it can afford to lose more charge than a smaller unit. 

It may also have to do two bikes potentially more than once. 

The phone charger element is a big pus. Being a bit stuck was one thing but a dying phone leaves you unable to sort anything out. Contingency plans when you have no connectivity and can't use google translate aren't the most fun 😂

I think they are a great idea for anyone travelling with a bike, I’m planning on getting one this season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I have one of these too, not really had to use it but when the jag was playing up it saved me a good few times

• Like 2

I have the GB40 bought it for my car and works van as their both auto so you cant bump start them. I bought it just before Christmas and its been used about a dozen times mainly starting my daughters car and only needed charging twice a really good bit of kit. The instructions say if it hasn't been used the unit may need topping up once a year. If the battery is dead flat it may need a minute to raise the battery voltage before it will turn the car over but shouldn't be a problem with the bike. Read the instructions before use  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I have the GB40 bought it for my car and works van as their both auto so you cant bump start them. I bought it just before Christmas and its been used about a dozen times mainly starting my daughters car and only needed charging twice a really good bit of kit. The instructions say if it hasn't been used the unit may need topping up once a year. If the battery is dead flat it may need a minute to raise the battery voltage before it will turn the car over but shouldn't be a problem with the bike. Read the instructions before use  

Thanks Fred. I saw that it can fully charge a phone 6 times and thought hmm I can imagine two people chewing through most of that charge on a weekend away so a small one we'd probably use the lot and then discover theres no charge left for a jump start when it was time to leave 😆

• Haha 1

Might be a silly question, but is a Himalayan hard to bump start? Should be the obvious solution when on a dead battery instead of finding a hotel room while it charges, no?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Might be a silly question, but is a Himalayan hard to bump start? Should be the obvious solution when on a dead battery instead of finding a hotel room while it charges, no?

Bump start was an option (assuming I could get the mean bitch to push me) but at a couple of points at the highest altitude when the mix isn’t right it feels weedy and is easy to stall.

As it was going to be dark within moments of leaving the idea of getting stuck at high altitude on the side of a mountain in the cold and dark on my tod waiting for feck knows how long for the RAC to sort out recovery (last time it took them 6 hrs!!) made me err on the side of caution. 

If it had been earlier in the day I would probably have risked it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pedro said:

Some bikes wont run with a dead battery you need to put power in first to get power out sort of thing

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Some bikes wont run with a dead battery you need to put power in first to get power out sort of thing

Modern bikes can be a pain to bump start because they are set up so lean due to emission standards plus they need the fuel pump to run to prime the fuel injection.

• Like 2

I’m impressed by how small and light it is. I really like the leads, they feel like quality. It arrived partially charged with the 25% light full and the 50% flashing.

The boost X has a fast charge option using something called 3.0 which sounds familiar but I can’t remember why. It states for a full charge (depending on conditions) 5w would take 8hrs and 60w 0.8hrs. As the NOCO fast charger they sell is 65w and my laptop charger is 67w (and the volts are the same) I used that and it was fully charged in under 20mins 👍

56D9F06E-4D3C-43DA-AB2C-9DAE57FD8546.thumb.jpeg.df6430d7f5f191297c0737972f371017.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I’m impressed by how small and light it is. I really like the leads, they feel like quality. It arrived partially charged with the 25% light full and the 50% flashing.

The boost X has a fast charge option using something called 3.0 which sounds familiar but I can’t remember why. It states for a full charge (depending on conditions) 5w would take 8hrs and 60w 0.8hrs. As the NOCO fast charger they sell is 65w and my laptop charger is 67w (and the volts are the same) I used that and it was fully charged in under 20mins 👍

56D9F06E-4D3C-43DA-AB2C-9DAE57FD8546.thumb.jpeg.df6430d7f5f191297c0737972f371017.jpeg

So you've ruined it before you've used it by rapid charging it :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I got a nice case from Ali Express for mine not sure if yours will fit in it

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33007183895.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.205f53a7L4IRVd&algo_pvid=cb4df6d7-9c5e-4212-9029-3916403e30d9&algo_exp_id=cb4df6d7-9c5e-4212-9029-3916403e30d9-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000032135349149"}&pdp_npi=3%40dis!GBP!9.98!7.28!!!!!%40211bf4c516795219008142770d0705!12000032135349149!sea!UK!4462793200&curPageLogUid=u5PThRH6NQTQ

image.png.d18b0f70db285585880716ebbee7bb45.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Thats ace THANKS. I looked at the case and thought the price was taking the piss. They sell the same noco case for the 45 as the 40 so I reckon it will be good. 

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Thats ace THANKS. I looked at the case and thought the price was taking the piss. They sell the same noco case for the 45 as the 40 so I reckon it will be good. 

£20 in Halfords for the same case. i binned the foam straight away and the leads don't fit like they do in the image but they do fit

WhatsAppImage2023-03-22at22_03_19.thumb.jpeg.e728e7b529f0b706115b78c4993abc6b.jpeg

• Like 1