Best "Enduro" tyre.

Tym

I use "enduro" for a good reason, in the mid 1970's, we rode "Enduros", aka, street legal dirt bikes. Then sometime in the late 1980's words like gay weren't 'friendly" anymore, the new generation, turned 1%ers from bikers to Banksters, called enduros dual sports, whatever.... So i ride an over weight pig of a 2003 KLR. i went to ankees and 606's, they sucked on the road, i broke my leg off the road on this crap.So i went to knobs, they just dug a hole to death off road when 400lbs plus my my weight plus low HP said fuck you, no go in sand. Mud? Who cares fuck mud i;ll stay home. I have allot of sand here...i need floatation, my T-63 knobs just dug me a hole. So far my IRC GP 110's are the best dual sport tyre i have ever used. On road they finally allow me to track well, no wandering and i get to go deep into to corners, while no digging in  sand. . Fear me.

Tell me Watt Man is wrong!

I need more of a road based tyre......as the majority of my riding is done there.

Personally I've always found the Metzeler Tourance to be the best option for me.

I've tried Anakees and Scorpion Trails but I always go back to the Tourance.

metzeler-tourance-13080-r17-65s-tl-r.jpg.72a2bb864d0ff4c6bb4928f77f21d948.jpg

I like Heidenau K60 on my heavy bike when on dirt and hard terrain. On road they are a bit shit but ok. They're very noisy at 50 to 60 mph, loud enough to get annoying, but they hare very hard and almost unpuncturable. Also, they last forever although the final 2 or 3k are deadly if you as much as look at a rain cloud in the distance. I am not skillful enough to ride my GS on soft sand so I don't even try it.

On the road I like Continental TKC70, they are smooth and quiet and go wonderfully on tarmac and are very safe in the wet. But obviously they're not very good offroad, they're competent enough in hard compacted dirt but then again most tires are, should be similar to Pete's Tourances.

Riding on soft terrain and sand, if you don't care a lot for longevity I would go for a Michelin Anakee Wild, as they are supposed to be competent on tarmac as well. Or Motoz Tractionator. Have no experience on any of these ?

Y;all havent lived till you try thes IRC's, they "look" off road, yet perform better then any tyre on the road...ps, fuck mud...lol

No Pedro, knobs in sand dig, they suck. I dont ride in mud, period. CT is actually a very dry location, we might have a "mud" season in spring when the snow melts. thats it. My T-63's dug holes, they dint make my bike go foreward. They sucked everywhere, on the street, in the mud, in the sand.

I used TKCs on the xl600, couldn't't believe had good they were on the tarmac. Just ok off. The front would wear off very uneven but still gripped good.
I can't remember what I had on the 500 but they were shit in the mud.

On 25/05/2020 at 09:42, XTreme said:

I need more of a road based tyre......as the majority of my riding is done there.

Same here, these 110's are the best street tyre i have ever used on the KLR, butt, they "look" like off road tyres. Win win right there for the best Enduro tyre! 

I miss the Michelin T63, one of the best dual-sport tyres ever, I use Pirelli MT21 instead now.  I don't consider either of these an 'enduro' tyre, as an enduro tyre on my CRF250 Rally I use Maxxis IT Pro.

682179-tr-maxxis-m7305-maxxcross-it-rear-tire.jpg.9a6d89f21f92304dd51fdd0f8a97d8bb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@boboneleg.......I've seen reviews on the Mitas range with people saying they're excellent and at a low price point.

But I've then seen other reviews for them saying the rubber on the tyre (virtually new) completely split and came off. Seen pics as confirmation as well.

And that's the strange thing......it's either one or the other!

But those reviews were on ButtRider so that may be a factor given some of the clientele.

• Like 1

So, on my XR400 I've got this almost new Michelin AC10 that just plain suck on the front. What should I replace it with? I don't give a shit about mileage or any of that in that bike, just want a front tire that won't try to kill me at 60mph riding alone on a dirt road.

Will probably still the keep the rear AC10, as it hooks up fine enough and I'm not made of money :classic_tongue:

On 25/05/2020 at 14:33, Tym said:

I use "enduro" for a good reason

You want "Enduro", do a Pete and buy these with highlighted white letters on the side:  Metzeler "Enduro"

enduro_3_sahara_main.png

They do look proper, and it is a Metzeler

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, XTreme said:

@boboneleg.......I've seen reviews on the Mitas range with people saying they're excellent and at a low price point.

But I've then seen other reviews for them saying the rubber on the tyre (virtually new) completely split and came off. Seen pics as confirmation as well.

And that's the strange thing......it's either one or the other!

But those reviews were on ButtRider so that may be a factor given some of the clientele.

I have Mitas E-07's on my DR650 right now, they're a great summer tyre when you don't need something quite so 'nobby'.  Mitas and Maxxis both make great tyres for trail/enduro/adeventure bikes.

Mitas-E-07.jpg.0cf8599181a12fca89e5dd22bca264bf.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Pedro said:

So, on my XR400 I've got this almost new Michelin AC10 that just plain suck on the front. What should I replace it with? I don't give a shit about mileage or any of that in that bike, just want a front tire that won't try to kill me at 60mph riding alone on a dirt road.

Will probably still the keep the rear AC10, as it hooks up fine enough and I'm not made of money :classic_tongue:

Maxxis M7304

24 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I have Mitas E-07's on my DR650 right now, they're a great summer tyre when you don't need something quite so 'nobby'.  Mitas and Maxxis both make great tyres for trail/enduro/adeventure bikes.

I looked at Mitas E08's as a Tourance alternative......but there were reports of the carcass stripping on some of the bigger machines.