Would you take off a catalytic converter?

Pedro

I love my bike, but it's main defect is on hot wether riding. I am slowly fixing it, I've put a small fairing on that alows air to the helmet, it's obviously worse on motorways but at significantly over 30ºC I was having trouble with no circulation to evaporate sweat inside the helmet, now I get a helmet full of bugs, which suits me better. It also means the view on top of the bike is better, which I really like.

I´ve ordered one of those chinese net seat covers, as I have sweaty bollocks. I wear jeans for touring so once it starts getting sweaty a little bit of airflow helps.

Now, this is my point. I would like to get rid of the heat that sometimes comes from the catalitic converter to my right foot. On certain combinations of ambient temperature above 30ºC, and sustained high revs at not very high speeds sometimes makes for quite a lot of heat there. Only way to solve it is fitting an exhaust manifold with no catalitic converter.

Now, obviously this is not legal. We're bound to start having bike MOT in Portugal in a couple of years, but that isn't much of a worry anyway, but my conumdrum is actually having my bike making more air emissions than it is currently.

I am aware this is a fallacy in itself, as if I'm that worried about it I could just not ride a motorcycle for leisure, but that's just not going to happen.

Thoughts?

I would not, because if you have a cat you have FI. Back in the early 1970's we adobted stringenent air pollution standards StateSide™. It took 20 years for us to make big power again while being green. That meant FI and cats... There is no reason you cant make big power and run your cat. Clean air is more important, thats my story....

It's not the sweat that upsets my riding more so the wet. Can't seem to buy anything waterproof. Heat from the cats don't seem to make any difference on either of my bikes.
The TDM has a cat in each side exhaust so they're off and on all the time as the original is far to quiet.
The Tracer has the cat in a "box" under the engine which I have cut open and removed a section to make it louder. I'm very happy with the results and the cat remains. If the TDM had the cat in the downpipes then I'd have left them there.
They do restrict the engine a little but both bike are quick enough for me.

Most riders over here seem to get them off as soon as possible as there's no emission test, yet.

17 hours ago, Pedro said:

I love my bike, but it's main defect is on hot wether riding. I am slowly fixing it, I've put a small fairing on that alows air to the helmet, it's obviously worse on motorways but at significantly over 30ºC I was having trouble with no circulation to evaporate sweat inside the helmet, now I get a helmet full of bugs, which suits me better. It also means the view on top of the bike is better, which I really like.

Got 2 vents on my Nolan, helped quite well in hot weather. Better helmet?

19 hours ago, Pedro said:

I´ve ordered one of those chinese net seat covers, as I have sweaty bollocks. I wear jeans for touring so once it starts getting sweaty a little bit of airflow helps.

Thoughts?

Well there's a mistake right away. Jeans are the worst thing you can wear in hot weather, no airflow.  Get yourself a pair of dedicated riding trousers, my Klim Dakars have a vented, elasticated area around the crotch, no more betty's for me :littleguy:

• Like 1

Thing is, I like looking like a normal person once stopped and off the bike ? I was never confortable with my former Dainese Explorer pants, something about jeans just feel nicer and more at ease on the bike as well.

4 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

Got 2 vents on my Nolan, helped quite well in hot weather. Better helmet?

It's a Schuberth C3Pro, I think vents weren't the issue since I was even sweating with the helmet open or the screen open. I'm talking 30ºC and unfortunately well over that as well.

Thing with the pipes, though, I don't need the bike any louder or faster, it's just fine the way it is, but would really like to have it running cooler without my environmental conscience getting in the way.

FFS, it would just roast my bare right foot. :wave:

PS: Is it me, or did this waving little guy use to give you the finger after the wave?

I had a similar issue with my Pegaso, but decided it was more trouble than it was worth, I would have to cut a hole, chip it out and weld it back. 

10 hours ago, Pedro said:

FFS, it would just roast my bare right foot. :wave:

PS: Is it me, or did this waving little guy use to give you the finger after the wave?

One gave the finger.....the other didn't. Can't find the finger one.......or the DA facepalm one! 

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

One gave the finger.....the other didn't. Can't find the finger one.......or the DA facepalm one! 

Free the finger! I blame Rump!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 28/05/2020 at 09:28, XTreme said:

Might have him on my old puter somewhere.

I had made up my mind to not fit in the straight through exhaust colector, but now an acquaintance has told me he's going to switch bikes and has his titanium akrapovic colector for sale.... hmm .... 

• Like 3