Sir Fallsalot rides through a cesspit!

Sir Fallsalot

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I might have said this before but the first couple of years of high school i never turned up with my kit because i hated it and i was given the bat across the arse for not having a valid excuse for not participating, even though it hurt it was better than games as it only lasted minutes instead of an hour, my mad mate Wayne was the same. The bat every week turned into a sigh as the years went on, every time we turned up for games we were told to just go for a walk along the river bank so we kept going until we got home, Wayne started bringing in a couple of his air guns in a skateboard bag  so we could go shooting on the way home, games became the favorite subject i didn't attend and looked forward to it every week LOL

I bunked an entire term and most of a year of French lessons, no idea how I passed that exam. I used to walk down a long path (in front of everyone) and out of the front gates 😆

State schools in the 80's, brilliant, no-one gave a shit about you, you were free to be as bad as you liked 🚬 🍺💊💃😈😁

• Haha 2

Ain't that the truth, I left school with no qualifications whatsoever, they kicked me out two months before the exams.  Not saying it was undeserved but even so I was only 16 and didn't know my ass from my elbow after 5 years in their charge.  Twas the 1970's of course.  I did go back to education in my 20's and got my BSc, not that it made much difference to my life really.   It did get the thick moniker off my shoulder though.  Not woe is me or complaining just observing they way things were and still are to a certain extent.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Back in the 60's they just beat the shit out of you!

They did in the 1970's too, Liberal use of the cane when I was in school.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Back in the 60's they just beat the shit out of you!

They still beat you in the 70's and 80's Pete. Throw hammers or whatever tools were available, whack you with whatever was to hand usually some sort of shoe they had in a drawer, 'cuff' you round the head' which was a proper hit, pull you by your hair, rap your knuckles with a ruler.

But worse of all was the humiliation. Being called out as a thick in front of your peers and everyone laughing at you cos they were so grateful it wasn't them who also didn't know the answer. If a teacher had it in for you, you'd be better off skiving. 

Not that the latter happened to me, I knew how to fly under the radar by appearing compliant but the kids they were totally failing - well that apparently was entirely their fault for being thick and lazy.

Corporal punishment didn't end til 1987 after a court case in 86. I remember it well cos I was still at school at the time. Huge furore. The fact the bastards couldn't touch you anymore was a relief, we cheered and rubbed it in their psychopathic faces.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Saul said:

Ain't that the truth, I left school with no qualifications whatsoever, they kicked me out two months before the exams.  Not saying it was undeserved but even so I was only 16 and didn't know my ass from my elbow after 5 years in their charge.  Twas the 1970's of course.  I did go back to education in my 20's and got my BSc, not that it made much difference to my life really.   It did get the thick moniker off my shoulder though.  Not woe is me or complaining just observing they way things were and still are to a certain extent.  

I think that thick moniker does immeasurable damage. From young childhood given the idea that you're stupid, only the top few performers in the class escape savage words letting you know you're not good enough. And now this weird rose tinted nostalgia that suffering and the 'good old days' were somehow character forming rather than damaging. Want to go back there anyone? Doubt it.

Test and pass judgement style of teaching is still prevalent. It's almost impossible for a child not to switch off to someone who's telling them they're crap.

I was lucky, I have a good memory so escaped criticism but many of my peers got smaller and smaller. What a waste.

• Like 2

On 06/11/2022 at 20:42, Buckster said:

Can you imagine Pete’s Honda stuck in that?

i can imagine him rolling round in the mud in just his y fronts with a group of midgets dressed in 70's disco gear.....

• Haha 3