Loobman

Saul

1 minute ago, Saul said:

Anyone got any experience with one of these?   I impulse bought it a couple of weeks ago and haven't got around to fitting it yet.

Loobman.thumb.jpg.f8c2607d61828900232bd69908f06975.jpg

I think that was on my DR650 when I bought it years ago.....made hell of a mess.

They may be better now......but I'm just not keen on having oil going onto my back wheel.

I'm quite happy to stick with my can of Castrol Synthetic Racing Lube.

As a recommendation, remember to fit it somewhere with airflow so it doesn't get warmer from engine or exhaust heat.  Engine heat will make the oil thinner and run out way faster than you want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Don't you have to have something like one drip per minute unlike this place where you get 20 drips a second LOL

I think it was 1 drip to 1,5 minutes or 2 minutes if used in clean environment. In dry weather does more good in the way it washes off dust than the lubrication itself. 

Thing is, you adjust it to a certain flow, but then if the weather warms up you'll need to compensate otherwise it'll just flow through.

• Like 2

Just now, Pedro said:

I think it was 1 drip to 1,5 minutes or 2 minutes if used in clean environment. In dry weather does more good in the way it washes off dust than the lubrication itself. 

Thing is, you adjust it to a certain flow, but then if the weather warms up you'll need to compensate otherwise it'll just flow through.

Yes i can understand that, I use gear oil on my bike chains mainly because i got a 25L drum of it for free but the chains always look a lot cleaner with the oil than when i use chain lube on them.

• Like 1

Loobman was a 'put oil on when you want it' rather than a certain number of drips per minute like a Scottoiler when I had one.

I had one for a short while because they were cheap. If my chain was dry when I wheeled the bike out of the garage in the morning I would hit the trigger on the oil and then ride off. If anything happens to delay you however, you get a small puddle of oil instead. You also have to have the oil bottle above the feed to the sprocket and the pipe running downward. Sounds easy unless you fit the thing on a centre stand and don't allow for the swing arm rising with your weight on the bike......

I gave it up not because of the oil part, but for the same reason I gave up on Scottoilers. The feed to the sprocket always get knocked, bent, twisted etc when removing the wheel, pushing the bike backwards or adjusting the chain. The small bottle with pointy nozzle that came with it was ideal for just running oil onto the inside run of my chains whilst turning the wheel by hand or engine/1st gear.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, yen_powell said:

You make all these property developer websites, do you not do any for contract killers, mates rates and all that?

I've had my fair share of clients who turned out to be criminals Yen........but no contract killers as yet!

• Haha 3

• 1 year later...

Well a year and a bit later I got around to fitting my Loobman.   It went on easy enough and seems to work as intended but I suppose only time will tell as to how effective it is.  
I managed to tuck it away so it’s not very visible.   The idea is you press down the plunger on the oil reservoir before you ride for 10 seconds and that releases a measure of oil the drips onto the sprocket and eventually the chain while you ride.  It was developed by three guys working as despatch riders.  Apparently.  
I like the idea of it better than the Scottoiler which is bloody expensive and either has to be wired in or connected to the engine induction vacuum.   I don’t want to spend £250 to £300 for that.  I quite liked the idea of the Tutoro chain oilers which are simple and only release oil when the bike is moving and the suspension is moving.  Still a bit dearer at  around £100 but they look good to me  I may buy one in the future, depending on how I get along with the Loobman.  

IMG_1694.thumb.jpeg.ebe442776ad92506ba79fb84a31c952a.jpeg

IMG_1695.thumb.jpeg.16e001f3103abcfc208e1061db6a9a73.jpeg

Reservoir under the back seat. 

IMG_1697.thumb.jpeg.e546fa737879ad2d769e9c1a52bcedfb.jpeg

IMG_1696.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I've never been keen on the idea of oil dripping near the back wheel.

It's not dripping near the back wheel it is dripping directly onto the sprocket on both faces then centripetal force pushes it onto the chain.   No different to oiling your chain from a can.   I am done with these bloody chain waxes and stuff they just don't keep the chain clean especially in winter.    I have been using good quality stuff this winter on the Hornet, exactly as described and the chain has flash rusted twice, bloody annoying.  

8 minutes ago, Saul said:

It's not dripping near the back wheel it is dripping directly onto the sprocket on both faces then centripetal force pushes it onto the chain.   No different to oiling your chain from a can.   I am done with these bloody chain waxes and stuff they just don't keep the chain clean especially in winter.    I have been using good quality stuff this winter on the Hornet, exactly as described and the chain has flash rusted twice, bloody annoying.  

Wax just glues the chain up.....I've used this for years now!

It's clear, very thin when it goes on, and it sticks well.

spacer.png

I was using this stuff, and it wasn’t cheap.  Not at all happy with it.  

IMG_1698.thumb.jpeg.dcf313a81a255f1292a4ead3d5f57649.jpeg

I used Banana Slip before that and some Wurth stuff before that.   I’m fed it with it all so going back to regularly oiling my chain.   Each to their own but I never had problems doing that in the past.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Saul said:

I have been using good quality stuff this winter on the Hornet, exactly as described and the chain has flash rusted twice, bloody annoying. 

Bear in mind that stock chains on most bikes are now of very poor quality compared to before or aftermarket brands.

I like that you pump the thing before riding. Scottoiler is a smart thing but depends on the oil's fluidity to adjust flow. It´ll flow a lot more in summer if you don't adjust it. I learned that when fitting a scottoiler to my Transalp and stashing the reservoir nice and out of sight under the seat. As soon as it got up in temperature from the engine heat on a longer ride it emptied all of the oil in 10 minutes and flung it all over the back of the bike, the back of my jeans and jacket. Cool stuff!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1