The Perfect Storm!

XTreme

As you know we're without the car this weekend as my boy's family have got it. So this was the big test for the Beemer with the wife on board!

hyt-min.jpg.f37966c0a9ee1a63fb5a83e6f9f55739.jpg

We rode over to feed the horses, she reckoned it was exactly like Big Bird......she found it very comfortable and she got no grief from her back.

Well we fed the horses and went back to the bike to go home! Then it all turned to shit......because the ABS would not activate! The light just kept blinking furiously.

So I called a mate who lives up the road to come and get us......but by the time he got there the ABS activated. So I rode it home and the wife went in the car with him, just in case it failed while I was riding.

I got it back to the house, spoke to Rafa and told him it's being delivered back to him Monday, and I either want a refund or another bike. So he'll sort something out Monday on that.

Pity really, cos the wife loved it.......but with the places I get to I need unfailing reliability. Not a failing bike!

I tried!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, XTreme said:

As you know we're without the car this weekend as my boy's family have got it. So this was the big test for the Beemer with the wife on board!

We rode over to feed the horses, she reckoned it was exactly like Big Bird......she found it very comfortable and she got no grief from her back.

Well we fed the horses and went back to the bike to go home! Then it all turned to shit......because the ABS would not activate! The light just kept blinking furiously.

So I called a mate who lives up the road to come and get us......but by the time he got there the ABS activated. So I rode it home and the wife went in the car with him, just in case it failed while I was riding.

I got it back to the house, spoke to Rafa and told him it's being delivered back to him Monday, and I either want a refund or another bike. So he'll sort something out Monday on that.

Pity really, cos the wife loved it.......but with the places I get to I need unfailing reliability. Not a failing bike!

I tried!

Just curious... Does the bike let you ride it when the abs isn't working... Or does it fall into limp mode or something? 

Ya that's a definate bummer Pete shame about the bike. 

32 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I tried!

You can ride without the ABS its just like old school when there was no ABS your brakes will still work. Are you sure you didn't accidently turn it off and back on again you know what your like with anything mechanical LOL

7 minutes ago, Marcel said:

Does the bike let you ride it when the abs isn't working

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

You can ride without the ABS its just like old school when there was no ABS

Wouldn't deactivate!

3 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

What it was juddering when you were pulling the brakes even when you weren't skidding

No brakes at all Fred.

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

No brakes at all Fred.

They should still work without the ABS never heard of faulty ABS holding the brakes off usually just wont kick in when needed no help to you i know

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

They should still work without the ABS never heard of faulty ABS holding the brakes off usually just wont kick in when needed no help to you i know

There's a very slight brake when you really try hard, but not enough to stop you when you're on the move.

It has a servo as well so I don't know if that makes a difference.

The recovery truck comes Monday 9AM......and that's the last I want to see of it.

6 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Not if it's a servo assisted, some older ones were and it's no longer like that for a reason :classic_laugh:

Later versions of the same generation have a normal system, in which if the ABS fails all you have is a non ABS bike like you say.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

Not if it's a servo assisted, some older ones were and it's no longer like that for a reason :classic_laugh:

Later versions of the same generation have a normal system, in which if the ABS fails all you have is a non ABS bike like you say.

I thought the servo might have something to do with it!

On a more positive note, there's now a possibility of Allie wanting to again be on the back of your bike, @XTreme ...

which is brilliant news.

Not on this (or any other) Beemer though......and they're the only things she's comfortable on.

On a less positive note, they probably didn't really replace the servo and more likely tried to fix it.

It was ABS module not servo though.

Just now, XTreme said:

It was ABS module not servo though.

If it was that and they did replace it, it will be ok, same as the servo, but it obviously wasn't.

3 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Not on this (or any other) Beemer though......and they're the only things she's comfortable on.

Why no other BMW? Because you bought an old bike that sat around for ages and then a part that needs use to keep fresh needs replacing? You change your mind quicker than anyone, even a couple of days ago you both accepted that this bike would probably have to be replaced with something newer if that's what it took to get her out.

3 minutes ago, Pedro said:

If it was that and they did replace it, it will be ok, same as the servo, but it obviously wasn't.

Why no other BMW? Because you bought an old bike that sat around for ages and then a part that needs use to keep fresh needs replacing? You change your mind quicker than anyone, even a couple of days ago you both accepted that this bike would probably have to be replaced with something newer if that's what it took to get her out.

Confidence and peace of mind Pedro! 

It don't bear thinking about what would happen if I was in a remote location with no phone signal.

I just want to hit the button and it starts.....not all this drama!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Confidence and peace of mind Pedro! 

It don't bear thinking about what would happen if I was in a remote location with no phone signal.

I just want to hit the button and it starts.....not all this drama!

Best thing you can do Pete is by a Honda :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Who in their right minds puts a system on a bike that when it fails something that will save your life stops working 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Who in their right minds puts a system on a bike that when it fails something that will save your life stops working 

WWII payback I'd say Fred!

• Haha 3

Shame really butt, unless you have a very competent independent  BMW specific wrench locally i wouldnt own a BMW.  

Their company  "Service" sucks i wouldnt have brought my 3 back to life if it was up to anything officially  BMW.

:wave:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Back then I suppose they had some kind of reason to do it, trying to improve the way the ABS works or something like that. Brakes in cars are the same, they probably decided to use the same engineering. It wasn't easy to make good ABSs that didn't go bad with lack of activation. I suppose it had something to do with circulating the brake fluid inside the ABS to prevent it from seizing over time. It was proven unnecessarily heavy and then they removed it. A few of the 1150s and early 1200s have this, and I think they're not really wanted because of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XTreme said:

There's a very slight brake when you really try hard, but not enough to stop you when you're on the move.

It has a servo as well so I don't know if that makes a difference.

The recovery truck comes Monday 9AM......and that's the last I want to see of it.

Shame I’ve already sold the Himalayan mate or……………🤣🤣

…….seriously though, it’s gutting when you want something to be good and it just isn’t. Hope you get something better mate.

• Haha 2

Have a look for a Kawasaki Versys 1000, go for the ugly Mark 1 version. Cheaper than most, super comfy, as reliable as anything and faaaaaaaast if you need it.

Wish I still had mine, it’s a proper wolf in sheeps clothing.

EF812210-4AD1-41E8-8659-273CBD95882B.jpeg

B20E15E2-533C-4534-B990-38BFEC0C660F.jpeg

F1DDCDF7-E174-456E-AC1D-65A5A816E743.jpeg

• Like 3