Tosser garages

ReggiePezza

Just a boring rant really. I feel an utter noob. 

Can you see what's wrong here then...?Picsart_22-05-25_14-57-03-758.thumb.jpg.0951f5266ac9c18813ec174be4774c73.jpg

I took the rear wheel for a new tyre to be fitted, wheel off the bike, tyre in hand. I don't know why I didn't take it to my usual bloke, probably feeling lazy, 15min drive. But I went round local to see if there's anyone else decent. First place, no can do, they say to take it round the corner. Place round the corner runs a fairly new biker cafe next door to it, seems to be doing ok, always has bikes outside. £20. Hmmm steep. But I can have a nosy at this cafe and the bikes, never had a proper look before. OK...

Done. Good so far. But, actually no because he wouldn't get rid of my old tyre. "Take it to the dump, I can't get rid of it". The dump hasn't taken tyres for years now. Alright well at least it's done but feel that the twenty was not spent wisely at all. 

Some time passes and I book an MOT, cancel it to pick up an emergency fridge, rebook... Go to oil the chain the night before and realise that the valve is hitting the caliper because it's a long stem for a car. Bah. I love a faff but I've already had to hacksaw my old tyre to fit it in the wheelie bin, now I've got to re-rebook an MOT for this thing and go back to ask for a shorter valve. "Don't do em mate". Well how's about just give me a tenner to go somewhere proper. "no refunds". Why be such a twat over nothing really? I mentioned the cafe because it's the sort of place you'd expect to cater for bikes and be cool about it. Thankfully someone did come over and say they'd get me a stem in and to come back later for it. So all should be fine in a about an hour. But still, why be such a twaaaat?! 

Lesson learnt, don't be lazy and don't chuck a twenty at anyone to change a tyre because that's just ridiculous in the first place. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ReggiePezza said:

Can you see what's wrong here then...?Picsart_22-05-25_14-57-03-758.thumb.jpg.0951f5266ac9c18813ec174be4774c73.jpg

I took the rear wheel for a new tyre to be fitted, wheel off the bike, tyre in hand. I don't know why I didn't take it to my usual bloke, probably feeling lazy, 15min drive. But I went round local to see if there's anyone else decent. First place, no can do, they say to take it round the corner. Place round the corner runs a fairly new biker cafe next door to it, seems to be doing ok, always has bikes outside. £20. Hmmm steep. But I can have a nosy at this cafe and the bikes, never had a proper look before. OK...

Done. Good so far. But, actually no because he wouldn't get rid of my old tyre. "Take it to the dump, I can't get rid of it". The dump hasn't taken tyres for years now. Alright well at least it's done but feel that the twenty was not spent wisely at all. 

Some time passes and I book an MOT, cancel it to pick up an emergency fridge, rebook... Go to oil the chain the night before and realise that the valve is hitting the caliper because it's a long stem for a car. Bah. I love a faff but I've already had to hacksaw my old tyre to fit it in the wheelie bin, now I've got to re-rebook an MOT for this thing and go back to ask for a shorter valve. "Don't do em mate". Well how's about just give me a tenner to go somewhere proper. "no refunds". Why be such a twat over nothing really? I mentioned the cafe because it's the sort of place you'd expect to cater for bikes and be cool about it. Thankfully someone did come over and say they'd get me a stem in and to come back later for it. So all should be fine in a about an hour. But still, why be such a twaaaat?! 

Lesson learnt, don't be lazy and don't chuck a twenty at anyone to change a tyre because that's just ridiculous in the first place. 

Where was that?

Is the price of a tire that much different if you order one online and then pay to have it fitted, compared to buying a tire at a proper tire shop and have them fit it?

52 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Is the price of a tire that much different if you order one online and then pay to have it fitted, compared to buying a tire at a proper tire shop and have them fit it?

Yes. While working at the garage, which I couldn't get any real discount from the suppliers anyway, I'd price from them and always get one online. Getting rid of wasn't a prob as we did get a discounted service on them.

Not many places around here doing bike tyres anyway although there's a new "Superbike Superstore" opened a few weeks ago a few miles down the road so I will try to support them if they're ain't to pricey.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Yes. While working at the garage, which I couldn't get any real discount from the suppliers anyway, I'd price from them and always get one online. Getting rid of wasn't a prob as we did get a discounted service on them.

Not many places around here doing bike tyres anyway although there's a new "Superbike Superstore" opened a few weeks ago a few miles down the road so I will try to support them if they're ain't to pricey.

Here I fit mine at a proper tire place that I've used for cars and bikes since forever, and comes up to slightly more expensive than online prices, like 10 or 20€ per tire but that includes the full work, balancing, and valves.

Similar prices in some BMW or Honda dealerships, too, about 10 or 20€ more expensive than the shop I use. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Here I fit mine at a proper tire place that I've used for cars and bikes since forever, and comes up to slightly more expensive than online prices, like 10 or 20€ per tire but that includes the full work, balancing, and valves.

Similar prices in some BMW or Honda dealerships, too, about 10 or 20€ more expensive than the shop I use. 

That would be fine for me. Many dealers here need to make a packet on the tyre sale and the fitting/balancing. 
I don't mind fitting tyres myself so not too fussed.

A few years ago while away Mandi got a puncture and we found an off road garage with a tyre in stock at the good price, wish they were nearer.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ReggiePezza said:

Easy mistake to make but you'd expect a little help after an error.

Blokes a nob.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Catteeclan said:

Easy mistake to make but you'd expect a little help after an error.

Blokes a nob.

No shit. Anyone can make a mistake - just own up to it and rectify the problem when it's discovered. To just ignore it shows a whole 'nuther level of stupidity.

• Like 3

Yes he was a nob. On the back foot instantly, when I wasn't exactly on the front foot at all, and wasn't even asking for all the money back when they said they can't do it. 

Thanks to the nice bloke that did actually sort it for me though (he only lives round the corner from me, not sure if he recognised me like).

Went back for the wheel and it's sorted, not so hard 😄. The 'orrible one didn't even acknowledge me, just kept swinging his hammer at some poor old lambretta, ah well.

So, I can't officially file a grumble but it's nice to vent my displeasure on here. The place is just called "The Garage" I think, but the cafe is called Rev's Relic's and seems a nice little spot to be honest. Too close to home for me to have worked up a need for a coffee though. 

• Like 4