Getting Back Out.........

XTreme

My present DR650 is an Australian model 2012, I've got all the aussie paperwork with it .  Guy was a Brit who worked in the mines near Perth , bought it back to the UK with him when he moved back, I was lucky enough to snap it up when he put it up for sale.

Here's the Aussie bike in the foreground with my 1996 UK bike behind............

6.thumb.JPG.21b14b025fd7d52071d21601f06b577b.JPG

Once i had them both I began the process of swapping over all the 'adventure' parts onto the Aussie bike......

1225811216_bb001.thumb.JPG.c276e0b9e11e2c6fa918a399020ebf38.JPG

520812033_bb004.thumb.JPG.5b39782b92d8fe7c1907bd9344d92395.JPG

Once it was all done I put the '96 UK bike back to almost o/e spec and put it up for sale.........

1661785753_DR650forsale2003.thumb.JPG.3ff1d742a60290b131624784a195db12.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The AJP, It’s portuguese designed and assembled. 

Their swingarms look great, but I looked at one side by side with an Husqvarna on a dealership, and it broke my heart.

Isn’t the engine italian?

23 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Their swingarms look great, but I looked at one side by side with an Husqvarna on a dealership, and it broke my heart.

Chinese!

I’m half drunk and about to call my brother, who went to school with AJP’s owner’s son if there are deals to be made.

are you sure?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Its Husqvarna's old TE630 engine it might be revamped by the chinks but it wasn't designed by them

This is just the internet and we're friends so don't share my opinion, but design doesn't matter for shit if quality control and metal quality doesn't back it up.

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

This is just the internet and we're friends so don't share my opinion, but design doesn't matter for shit if quality control and metal quality doesn't back it up.

I agree but from what i remember the old Husky engines were shit as well so the Chinese cant make it any worse ?
@XTreme Its Shineray a much better quality shit than what Zongshen produces :littleguy: That's why i said i'll read the reviews in a couple of years :classic_biggrin:

If buying new, I would agree, but there's something to be said for saving 6 or 7k on a second bike dedicated for once or twice a year offroad touring and buying a big tank TTR or XTE, or even KTM 690R

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Its Shineray a much better quality shit than what Zongshen produces

So it's a slightly less smelly turd then Fred? :classic_unsure:

• Haha 2

Just now, Pedro said:

That 701 looks like a proper quality bike in person.

Yes I've bounced up and down on one in the showroom and it has road bike service intervals 6000 mile intervals plus when it was first introduced it was just under £7000 which was good considering the husky 501 enduro was a £1000 more than it.

the 501 is a proper race bike engine, though, I wouldn't want that. The 701 is a posh 690 with nicer rear suspension, which is fine by me. 

16 hours ago, XTreme said:

Only one bike I'd consider.....

They're shit , I wouldn't bother.  Just spend another £4000 on top and you can get a KTM790 ?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

This is another bike I've been lusting after. ticks every box for me except for the Husqvarna/KTM badge and the rear fuel tank

I've got a mate who's  got one Fred, very nice bike.  They seem to have cured the problems that you got with the KTM 690.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pedro said:

What problems did the 690 have, Bob?

Where shall we start.........  Blocked injectors, unresolved electrical problems and most of all rockers that shat themselves and totalled your engine.

These are all things that I've come across from mates who own them.  They're a real 'friday afternoon' bike, I have two mates who have put 20,000 miles on theirs with no real problems and I have other mates who have spent £2000 on an engine rebuild after the bike had done less than 9,000 miles.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I've got a mate who's  got one Fred, very nice bike.  They seem to have cured the problems that you got with the KTM 690.

I was hoping you would say their shit now i want one more :littleguy:

On 05/05/2020 at 15:53, XTreme said:

Thing is there's very few modern bikes that fit that niche now......only the XT660R.

And generally most early XT's here have had a pretty hard life.

Or the XT660R, that’ll do the job too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skippy said:

Or the XT660R, that’ll do the job too.

If they're in good nick they tend to hold their value pretty well......so you're probably looking at about 3K up @Skippy

I expect Spain to be similar, in Portugal there are 4 or 5 bikes that hold value well: XT600E or XT660R, DTR125, any version of CBR600, any version BMW GS, Suzuki GSX750R, Hornet 600, any Africa Twin . These, except the Suzuki, were the top sellers of their generation, in a country where minimum wage would be (and is) less than half of the UK, buying a CRB600 was seen as buying a quality item that would last, like buying an oldschool Mercedes of sorts*.

*Except the DTR125, all those guys wanted was to put a motocross exhaust and wheelie to high heaven in front of high schools ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pedro said:

*Except the DTR125, all those guys wanted was to put a motocross exhaust and wheelie to high heaven in front of high schools ?

Men over 60 go to jail for that now... The new normal------>  :banana121or: