Loss of Confidence

Tango

I've been riding bikes for about 46 years and, in the earlier days, it was my only transport year round, but just recently I've lost some of my confidence on the bike. I'm aware that my riding is not as smooth as it used to be and that in turn makes me feel less at ease on the bike. 

So I'm trying to figure out what's changed?

Due to the pandemic and the move out here I had the best part of 2 years with very little riding, so, am I just rusty and the more I ride the better it'll get?

Maybe it's the bike? I find the suspension much too soft for me. It dives like crazy whilst braking and wallows and wobbles on any undulations in the road. It also tramlines like crazy too, which I guess is due to the tyres. I can still get the bike over near to the edge of the tyres, but don't make progress like I used to.

Maybe it's just an age thing? I'm a lot more cautious than I used to be. 

Has anyone else felt that the lack of getting out on the bike due to the restrictions had a negative effect on their confidence on the bike? Or maybe a bike that just doesn't inspire confidence?

Your thought and comments would be appreciated. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Six30 said:

Sounds like the bike to me Bob.

Or maybe I just need to get a few more Km under my belt on it? It's very different to my last bike, that I owned for 7 years.

• Like 2

Good thread Bob! Here's my experience with this!

About 3 years ago when I sold the red XT I honestly thought it was game over. Reason being was that for a few years prior to that point I felt things weren't right.......it wasn't coming naturally to me anymore. Driving a car was harder too.

I didn't lack confidence as such.....it was a case of I was having to work much harder to do things that always came easily. I spent about a year or so without a bike and accepted that it was probably time to call it a day before something went wrong out there.

Then one day I had a moment of enlightenment because I jumped in the car and drove off forgetting to take my reading glasses off. Immediately everything became so much easier and I felt like I always had.

Incredible I know......that for many years I'd been riding and driving round with my vision impaired and didn't know it. The loss of distance vision just crept up on me slowly. Age has a habit of doing that!

But would the same transformation happen if I got on a bike? I just didn't know!

After some deliberation I took the plunge and bought the Strom! And I was a bit nervous getting on at first with glasses on because I just didn't know if the impaired vision had been the only cause of the difficulties I'd faced for some years!

I was only going to take it just up the road for a quick 5 minute test to see how I felt......and what adjustments I'd need to make as I was now wearing glasses.

Well the quick trip up the road ended up in going out for about 45 minutes and blasting the shit out of the thing......in a way that I hadn't been able to do for over 5 years!

I was back! I literally came back from the dead! Because I could now see where I was going at last!

You sure vision isn't a factor with you?

• Like 2

I've found that the suspension (especially the rear shock) on the all the new Honda's I've ridden in the past 5 years has been built to a price.

That includes,  CRF250 Rally, CRF250 L  , CRF1000 L , CRF100 DCT and NC750 X.  The NC750 was so bad that I took it back after only 15 mins riding (it was a test ride). 

My Rally was transformed by a £280 YSS rear shock and I didn't have to do anything to the front end.

Is there any talk on any of the forums about the suspension on the CB500X  ?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I don't think so, Pete. I wear reading glasses, but the last time I had my eyes checked, which is just over a year ago, my distance vision was 20:20.

Interesting to hear your story though, as sometimes there can be a factor that we completely overlook. 

5 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I've found that the suspension (especially the rear shock) on the all the new Honda's I've ridden in the past 5 years has been built to a price.

That includes,  CRF250 Rally, CRF250 L  , CRF1000 L , CRF100 DCT and NC750 X.  The NC750 was so bad that I took it back after only 15 mins riding (it was a test ride). 

My Rally was transformed by a £280 YSS rear shock and I didn't have to do anything to the front end.

Is there any talk on any of the forums about the suspension on the CB500X  ?

Yes, it's generally accepted that the suspension is a compromise between the on-road and off-road pretensions of the bike. But it seems that most people accept that compromise and leave the bike stock. 

I guess that maybe I need to look at a more road oriented bike, as I don't see me spending too much time off- road and if I did want to do more of that then maybe look at a small trail bike for those occasions. 

Thanks for your input, Bob.

6 minutes ago, Tango said:

I don't think so, Pete. I wear reading glasses, but the last time I had my eyes checked, which is just over a year ago, my distance vision was 20:20.

Interesting to hear your story though, as sometimes there can be a factor that we completely overlook. 

Here's another one: Balance due to ageing.

I've only recently become aware of this so I may need to look at exercises to offset it.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tango said:

Or maybe I just need to get a few more Km under my belt on it? It's very different to my last bike, that I owned for 7 years.

after @XTreme essay .... iv'e sussed what your problem is mate..... your getting on your neighbours bike thinking its yours cause  you cant see a god dam thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Here's another one: Balance due to ageing.

I've only recently become aware of this so I may need to look at exercises to offset it.

I think that there's definitely an element of this, Pete. I've become aware of when I stop now I have both feet down and stop on the front brake, which, due to the soft springing on the forks, causes the front to dive and upsets the balance. I don't know why I'm doing this, but maybe it's a balance thing as you suggest.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Good thread Bob! Here's my experience with this!

About 3 years ago when I sold the red XT I honestly thought it was game over. Reason being was that for a few years prior to that point I felt things weren't right.......it wasn't coming naturally to me anymore. Driving a car was harder too.

I didn't lack confidence as such.....it was a case of I was having to work much harder to do things that always came easily. I spent about a year or so without a bike and accepted that it was probably time to call it a day before something went wrong out there.

Then one day I had a moment of enlightenment because I jumped in the car and drove off forgetting to take my reading glasses off. Immediately everything became so much easier and I felt like I always had.

Incredible I know......that for many years I'd been riding and driving round with my vision impaired and didn't know it. The loss of distance vision just crept up on me slowly. Age has a habit of doing that!

But would the same transformation happen if I got on a bike? I just didn't know!

After some deliberation I took the plunge and bought the Strom! And I was a bit nervous getting on at first with glasses on because I just didn't know if the impaired vision had been the only cause of the difficulties I'd faced for some years!

I was only going to take it just up the road for a quick 5 minute test to see how I felt......and what adjustments I'd need to make as I was now wearing glasses.

Well the quick trip up the road ended up in going out for about 45 minutes and blasting the shit out of the thing......in a way that I hadn't been able to do for over 5 years!

I was back! I literally came back from the dead! Because I could now see where I was going at last!

bubbles-trailer.gif

• Haha 2

Just now, Clive said:

To be straight, for obvious (to me) reasons, I may pack it in when/if the scoot get sold.

you packed motorcycling it when you got a scooter.

• Haha 4

Just now, Tango said:

I think that there's definitely an element of this, Pete. I've become aware of when I stop now I have both feet down and stop on the front brake, which, due to the soft springing on the forks, causes the front to dive and upsets the balance. I don't know why I'm doing this, but maybe it's a balance thing as you suggest.

I haven't done a YouTube search for balance exercises yet......those may well help.

The other thing in your case is style of bike......19" front wheel, longer travel suspension etc.......it may not be a good fit for you considering your previous history.

It is for me, and if I get on a standard bike with a 17" front wheel now it just doesn't feel natural to me.

3 minutes ago, Clive said:

To be straight, for obvious (to me) reasons, I may pack it in when/if the scoot get sold.

That's fair enough, Clive. I know a few people that have called it a day.

My only "problem" is that we've only got the one car, which my missus uses for work, so the bike is my independence.  

I don't think the current situation is insurmountable, but I'm really just trying to get my head around what's changed.

2 minutes ago, Tango said:

That's fair enough, Clive. I know a few people that have called it a day.

My only "problem" is that we've only got the one car, which my missus uses for work, so the bike is my independence.  

I don't think the current situation is insurmountable, but I'm really just trying to get my head around what's changed.

do you think it could be riding in the heat.... 

• Like 1

I am using the scoot less and less.

My wife can't drive.

Wife has not been pillion since shed had her knee done.

In the car she can tell me if there is a rattle clunking or some strange noise.

On the scoot I will only know when it goes pop and stops.😂

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Six30 said:

do you think it could be riding in the heat.... 

I'm like Pete, I tend to get out on the bike and back before it gets too hot. It does mess about with the tyre pressures though!

• Like 1

Truth be told, I still really enjoy getting out on the bike. A short run to the next town to have a coffee or a round trip down to the sea and loop back, it's all good.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tym said:

Getting older means you arnt as able, that my problem. 

Unfortunately I think that this is a big factor too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mawsley said:

You sound like just the kind of person who needs to buy my spare Vespa

Does it come with the change of identity and false passport, or is that extra? 😂😂😂

• Haha 3