2022 Triumph Scrambler 1200 Line Includes Steve McQueen Special Edition

Peon Maface

rssImage-af5e2179ea3f9dada0c9e24d31be3720.jpeg

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, so Triumph didn’t. They’ve sold over 10,000 modern Scramblers since the XC and XE were new in 2018, and Scrambler 1200 XC even won MO’s revered Best Standard Motorcycle award last year. But they did have to make the bikes Euro 5-compliant for 2022, and with that came a few tweaks and the gaining of a few pounds – about 13 of them in fact. But hey look! There’s a new Steve McQueen Limited Edition! 

In a possible effort to avoid mentioning the weight gain, Triumph for the first time in memory gives us the bike’s wet weight in the specs – which it says is 507 lbs. Our own scales said 498 for the Scrambler 1200 XC we tested last year, so it’s really no big deal.

Most of that weight is courtesy of a revised high-mount exhaust. The claim is that power output is unchanged, but making that happen required a bigger catalyzer with more precious metals. And while the engineers were wrestling with that, they moved the catalyzer further forward in the system and rejiggered other sections to improve heat dissipation. We didn’t have any real heat issues with the previous version, but on hot summer days around town or slow going off-road, one’s right leg could get a bit toasty. With the relocation of the cat and a few more pounds of heat sink in the system, here’s hoping for the best.

Power remains the same, says Triumph, with peak torque of 81 lb-ft at just 4,500 rpm, and 89 horsepower at 7,250 rpm. (MotoGP Werks’ Dynojet had it at 74.5 hp at 6500 rpm and 67.7 lb-ft at 5000 rpm, at the rear wheel, last year.)

Scrambler 1200 Steve McQueen Edition

New-Scrambler1200SteveMcQueen-Hero3-633x

As long as Triumph is building motorcycles, the legendary actor will never die. For this limited edition model, Triumph’s copywriter revs it way up and dumps the clutch: 

Celebrating the most famous movie star, stunt and motorcycle in history, the new Scrambler 1200 Steve McQueen Edition brings all the new-generation 2022 Scrambler 1200 XE’s category-dominating specification, go-anywhere adventure-bike capability and state-of-the-art technology, and adds its own premium Steve McQueen paint scheme and extensive list of beautiful unique details. Fully equipped with a selection of premium Scrambler accessories, fitted as standard, the McQueen Edition is now officially the highest specification Scrambler 1200 ever.

Inspired by a genuine motorcycle legend

Inspired by the original competition-spec Triumph TR6, made famous by the legendary barbed wire jump in the iconic 1963 Second World War classic “The Great Escape”, the Scrambler 1200 Steve McQueen Edition has been developed in partnership with the McQueen family. Chosen to ride in the film by McQueen, over a period-correct German military motorcycle, the Triumph TR6 used in the jump was created by a British Triumph dealer and ISDT Gold Medal racer Ken Heanes, with an ISDT suspension set-up designed for robust stunt work.

New-Scrambler1200SteveMcQueen_Details4-6

Unique limited edition  

With just 1,000 Scrambler 1200 Steve McQueen Edition models available worldwide, each bike is individually numbered on the beautiful billet-machined handlebar clamp, which also features a laser etched Steve McQueen signature. For even greater exclusivity, each bike comes with a unique certificate of authenticity stating the bike’s VIN number, and carrying the signatures of Triumph’s CEO, Nick Bloor, and also Chad McQueen, son of the legend himself, Steve McQueen.

New-Scrambler1200SteveMcQueen_Details3-6

Exclusive details and finish

The unique paint scheme features a Competition Green tank with brushed foil knee pads, exquisite hand-painted gold lining, gold heritage Triumph logos, dedicated Steve McQueen tank graphic, brushed aluminum Monza cap and brushed stainless steel tank strap. The distinctive Steve McQueen Edition will also feature the aluminum high level front mudguard as standard, which, along with the rear mudguard, will also be painted in Competition Green.

In addition to the standard 1200 XE’s class leading specification, the Steve McQueen Edition comes fitted with engine protection dresser bars, which add another layer of ruggedness. Fabricated from stainless steel tubing, these have an electro-polished finish and offer additional protection to the clutch and alternator covers.

A laser cut and pressed aluminum radiator guard, with laser etched Triumph branding, also comes as standard, giving additional protection from loose stones while optimizing air flow. 

The Steve McQueen Edition also features a premium brown bench seat, with stitched ribbing and Triumph branding, which further enhances the overall classic style and elegance.

New-Scrambler-1200-Steve-McQueen-2-633x3

Aside from movie stardom, Steve McQueen was also renowned for his Triumph Scrambler desert racing, which makes the Scrambler 1200 XE the perfect base for the exclusive edition, thanks to its class-defining capability both on and off-road. The new McQueen Edition shares all of the acclaimed XE specification and performance, including the 2022 engine and exhaust system updates. Being a genuine cross-over motorcycle, it has all the capability of a full-on adventure bike with the iconic style inherited from its legendary Scrambler lineage.  

The new Scrambler 1200 Steve McQueen Edition is also pre-enabled for the accessory My Triumph Connectivity System. This allows the rider to access phone calls, operate music, use turn-by-turn navigation and manage a Go-Pro through the intuitive handlebar controls and TFT interface.

How much would you expect to pay? The Scrambler 1200 Steve McQueen Edition will sell for $16,400 USD / $17,800 CAD, and will be available in June.

Scrambler 1200 XE and XC

New-Scrambler1200XC_Hero1-633x475.jpg

Scrambler 1200 XC in Cobalt Blue

For all the other sad Scrambler buyers outside of the chosen 1000, who must do without the Steve McQueen model, the song remains the same other than the new Euro 5 measures. The XE remains the more dirt-worthy of the two, but both share that same High power 1200 cc Bonneville twin with dedicated Scrambler tune and 270-degree crank. Both get 21-/17-inch tubeless wire-spoke wheels for serious off-road work. Both get long-travel Öhlins fully adjustable shocks out back and a long-travel Showa fork in front – one key difference being that the XE gets longer-travel units, correspondingly more ground clearance, and a higher seat to match.

New-Scrambler1200XE_Hero4-633x475.jpg

Scrambler 1200 XE in Matte Khaki Green gets fully 9.8 inches front and rear suspension travel to the XC’s 7.9 in. travel – and a 34.2 in. seat height to the XC’s 33.1 in. The XE swingarm is also longer, with a shot-blasted and anodized finish.

Both XC and XE get IMU-controlled rider aids including lean-sensitive ABS and traction control, with the XE going the XC one better with an Off-Road Pro mode in addition to the XC’s Rain, Road, Rider-configurable, and Off-Road programs.

Scrambler1200XC_Details6-633x475.jpg

Everybody also gets this cool TFT display with illuminated switchgear,
all-LED lighting, keyless ignition, single-button cruise control, and a USB charging socket.

New-Scrambler1200XC_accessories-6-633x47

Scrambler 1200 XE also comes with handguards, Brembo MCS brake lever, gold forks… 

New-Scrambler1200XC_accessories-2-633x47

And either bike can be outfitted with the 70-some Genuine Triumph Accessories in the catalog, including luggage, a new Dakar-inspired fly screen, a high front mudguard or “front fender” as we Yanks call it, handlebar brace, headlight grille, centerstand, fog lights, heated grips…

How much? 2022 Scrambler 1200 XC: $14,000 USD / $15,200 CAD, and2022 Scrambler 1200 XE: $15,400 USD / $16,300 CAD.

Say, those prices are exactly the same as for last year’s models, so good on Triumph for holding the line. Expect these to all be loitering around your Triumph dealer in June, probably not for long.

2022 Triumph Scrambler 1200 Scrambler1200XC_Details2-150x150.jpg Scrambler1200XC_Details9-150x150.jpg Scrambler1200XC_Details10-150x150.jpg Scrambler1200XE_Details6-150x150.jpg Scrambler1200XE_Details8-150x150.jpg Scrambler1200XE_Details9-150x150.jpg New-Scrambler1200XE_accessories-1-150x15 New-Scrambler1200XC_Hero4-150x150.jpg New-Scrambler-1200-XE-Rear-Blue-and-Blac New-Scrambler-1200-XC-Top-Sapphire-Black New-Scrambler-1200-Steve-McQueen-2-1-150 New-Scrambler-1200-XC-Cobalt-Blue-1-150x New-Scrambler-1200-XC-RHS-Matt-Khaki-Gre New-Scrambler-1200-Steve-McQueen-2-150x1

Become a Motorcycle.com insider. Get the latest motorcycle news first by subscribing to our newsletter here.

The post 2022 Triumph Scrambler 1200 Line Includes Steve McQueen Special Edition appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Motorcyclefeed/~4/mDRABQmTYSo

Source

This bike is a guilty pleasure for me, I really like the looks and feel it would be really cool to ride, except for two things which are that exhaust being not nice for warm weather in jeans, and it being a Triumph, Triumph is shit in Portugal and I don't want one.

• Like 1

The bike looks great, I’d have one but then my first bike was a wee 125 Hilts Mutt so clearly I’m gonna be a sucker for the looks. 

Not so keen on the Steve McQueen marketing thing though, plaster the name Steve McQueen on something and its instantly cool, nope I cant buy into that, especially as he was known to be a bit of wife beater, distinctly not cool in my book. But if someone offered me one I wouldn’t turn it down ?

5 hours ago, Pedro said:

This bike is a guilty pleasure for me, I really like the looks and feel it would be really cool to ride, except for two things which are that exhaust being not nice for warm weather in jeans, and it being a Triumph, Triumph is shit in Portugal and I don't want one.

why are Triumphs shit in Portugal ?

3 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

he was known to be a bit of wife beater, distinctly not cool in my book. But if someone offered me one I wouldn’t turn it down 

If someone offered you a beating you wouldn't turn it down?

Tom Cruise What GIF

Triumphs aren’t shit in Portugal, Triumph as a brand is

Two main Triumph dealers in Portugal, both currently useless in everything from buying a bike to servicing it, to buying parts.

Nothing against the brand but here they are not well represented. On top of it, they’re more snobbish than anything.

10 hours ago, Pedro said:

This bike IS a pleasure without the guilt. I have ridden the XC and the XE. Actually prefered the taller version. 

( I might put a video on of the day, my friend Barbara came from the UK for a visit so I got a Scrambler for 2 days and she rode the Speed Triple, that she prefered to her Monster S4R. Not sure, we talk non stop, will bore you to death!!!  )

It is a joy to ride, does not feel like a 1200cc engine and is very nimble. The noise is great and its, to me at least, kind of funny to seat SO high!! Of course on the motorway, at 90mph it was like being a window cleaner working on the shard!! 

The leg thing is very true, my leg was literally burned, it had a blister... But to be honest, who cares about having a right leg when one can look that cool! Absolutely loved it and if I had the money, it would be my choice for the Yin to the Speed Triple Yang. 

The Scrambler is a naked bike on stilts!! 

Triumph in Portugal...

Triumph was always a niche brand here, favoured by very specific ( and very few ) guys that were more into historic motorcycle brands and also was preferred by a certain type of snob that wanted to be different from the type of snob that had BMWs. In a country were Honda was the choice of 70% of people,  European brands were only for specific people, snobs, and I belong to the Triumph snob group!! You have to see that bikes in Portugal were ( I think still are ) classified as a luxury item, so as I later found out, the idea of a Triumph being for working class men, here was abhorrent!  So, a very small market and a group of snobbish people has caused that the Brand was always miss represented and miss handled here.  Eventually we ended up with the current scenario where the Importer is in Madrid, for Spain and Portugal, cares very little with the Portuguese side of things and the dealer in Portugal ( there is only ONE dealer here, with 3 shops ) has triumph as an add-on to Harley, his main business that existed before he became Triumph dealership. 

The motivation of the staff at triumph is next to none, many don't know Triumphs or understand them, even now that they are almost as bland and soulless as all others thanks to "focus groups" ( my personal view, not trying to convince anyone! ) and they don't really have much love for Triumphs. The organization is that of a typical Southern European enterprise with many lunch breaks and coffee breaks and holidays and bank holidays. Parts are non-existent and have to be ordered for the Galaxy far, far away that is Spain... In turn they have to get them for the other ( even further away ) Galaxy that is the UK... And has we know they are not made in that Galaxy anymore, they come form another Universe, China and Thailand!!! Probably stuck in the Sues Canal right now!!!  Before they arrive in Lisbon they have many miles and many layers of taxes... So the radiator for my Speed Triple is 395 pounds, plus VAT in the UK and 790 euros, plus VAT, in Lisbon!! 

Because of "Hipster-ism" and metro-sexuality, the Bonneville found itself "discovered" in these shores and is the most sold Triumph! Hurray for slow beards and checkered shirts saving the dealership form ruin!  They sold TWO Speed Triples in 1 year, maybe 10 Street Triples and quite a few Tigers 900, but all together not even half of the Bonnevilles. In 2018 Triumph sold in Portugal 232 bikes, large majority Bonnies. 

I have loved Triumph since I can remember, I love history and motorcycles, and Triumph is super rich in history and instilling character in their machines.. The Speed Triple had me at hello, literally!! I was a member of the Portuguese Triumph Owners Club before I moved to the UK and in the UK I was head of Jack Lilleys Rat Pack for a while plus always very involved with all things Triumph there I even won the award of "Chattiest Triumph Owner" in the whole country ( picture attached!) , so it is with sadness I agree totally with @Pedro, it is not good to have a Triumph in Portugal... Difficult to buy ( if you want any model other then the ones they have in the showroom already or need finance ), impossible to service due to staff incompetence and unavailability of parts and God help us if we drop the bike and need replacing parts!! Of course everything is super expensive... 

meAward_Jpeg.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Pedro said:

And that does look proper badass!

Had rear sets on her from the same place that made those pipes,, after i realized id have to replace every part on the bike, well..the harley factor wore off on me.

.By 1994 the RUB factor took off like a missle shot, so i sold her into a hot used market for what i paid for her after 4 years of ownership.

Moved on to a free suzuki gs that i never registered in my name until i could pay cash for a KLR.

?