Your Dream Bike Trip

57 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Always wanted one but parents went ON and ON and ON about how dangerous they are and don’t get one.

Your father's been there and probably lost a lot of mates back then.....as we all did.

I never encouraged bikes with my kids and in reality probably discouraged them to a degree......so they were never interested.

I've had a Guardian Angel for 50 years.....they might not have been so lucky.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Your father's been there and probably lost a lot of mates back then.....as we all did.

I never encouraged bikes with my kids and in reality probably discouraged them to a degree......so they were never interested.

Hmm you sound like him ?

Except my parents my mother and father both rode motorbikes whilst preaching we really shouldn’t, it’s stupid etc etc. My mum even ran off with a Ducati dealer so it’s a bit pot called ?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Hmm you sound like him ?

Except my parents my mother and father both rode motorbikes whilst preaching we really shouldn’t, it’s stupid etc etc. My mum even ran off with a Ducati dealer so it’s a bit pot called ?

We came through The Killing Fields so I understand why they think like that!

16 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

A film about Cambodia?!

Biking in the 70's.......the death stats were horrific that's why they brought in all the changes to licences, having training etc.

I used to go to a bike funeral every month, saw a mate get beheaded when he went under the trailer of an artic, and another one died in my arms impaled through railings.

50 years ago it wasn't like it is now......it was hordes of crazy teenagers tearing round racing each other with no sense of fear whatsoever. More often than not pissed up!

Turned away from pubs and cafes because you were a biker.....in fact we even got turned away from towns with the Police blocking the roads to prevent access.

And if you wore a leather it was seen as you were looking for trouble......usually with skinheads in raging street battles.

Best years of my life though!

Ask your father.....he'll tell you.

26 minutes ago, XTreme said:

my dad always had bikes then when i turned 16 i told him i was getting one but he was non too chuffed he said when he had them it was a lot quieter on the road when he had them, anyway i finally got one and guess who wanted the first ride on it and a few months later he got another of his own ?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Biking in the 70's.......the death stats were horrific that's why they brought in all the changes to licences, having training etc.

I used to go to a bike funeral every month, saw a mate get beheaded when he went under the trailer of an artic, and another one died in my arms impaled through railings.

50 years ago it wasn't like it is now......it was hordes of crazy teenagers tearing round racing each other with no sense of fear whatsoever. More often than not pissed up!

Turned away from pubs and cafes because you were a biker.....in fact we even got turned away from towns with the Police blocking the roads to prevent access.

And if you wore a leather it was seen as you were looking for trouble......usually with skinheads in raging street battles.

Best years of my life though!

Ask your father.....he'll tell you.

He has repeatedly throughout my upbringing to stop me getting a bike-

“Everyone I know who rode a bike is either dead or disabled”

”I was one of the lucky ones.” Alternated with it was down to skill, a sixth sense or a guardian angel (yes exact same words).

”Its not the same now, if you went bouncing down the road then there was no other traffic, now you’d get squashed”

”We used to have a lot of fun racing on the north circ, you couldn’t do that now”

?

13 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

He has repeatedly throughout my upbringing to stop me getting a bike-

“Everyone I know who rode a bike is either dead or disabled”

”I was one of the lucky ones.” Alternated with it was down to skill, a sixth sense or a guardian angel (yes exact same words).

”Its not the same now, if you went bouncing down the road then there was no other traffic, now you’d get squashed”

”We used to have a lot of fun racing on the north circ, you couldn’t do that now”

?

At what age did he stop though? What I'm saying is that if he stopped years ago that era is all he knows......it's a different world now.

These days bikes are better in all respects, tyres and brakes that actually work, better safety gear, people are now properly trained, stricter tests etc.

So it isn't the era of Death and Dismemberment any more......there's still risks, but nothing like it was.

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

At what age did he stop though? What I'm saying is that if he stopped years ago that era is all he knows......it's a different world now.

These days bikes are better in all respects, tyres and brakes that actually work, better safety gear, people are now properly trained, stricter tests etc.

So it isn't the era of Death and Dismemberment any more......there's still risks, but nothing like it was.

He has never stopped. I bought the Fat Boy off him to surprise Mr Slowly and at the moment he’s whizzing around on a scooter (he calls the egg whisk) while looking about at what he wants next. 

7 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

If I can get Mr Slowlycatchymonkey to the level where he’ll embrace doing something like Mawsleys Ho Chi Mhin trail then that would be ideal

Not to be the sensitive kind, but is he the kind of dude that likes being "If I can take him to this level" kind of guy?

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

He has never stopped. I bought the Fat Boy off him to surprise Mr Slowly and at the moment he’s whizzing around on a scooter (he calls the egg whisk) while looking about at what he wants next. 

He's still riding? Well he knows it's all changed.....so why is he going on about how it was years ago to try and put you off? 

3 minutes ago, XTreme said:

He's still riding? Well he knows it's all changed.....so why is he going on about how it was years ago to try and put you off? 

Ive not been very clear, my bad. Thats what he said while I was a kid growing up.

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I think it's natural that you try to keep your loved ones out of motorcycles and inside cars with airbags. Do as I say and not as I do?

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Ive not been very clear, my bad. Thats what he said while I was a kid growing up.

Right....I've got you!

What's he thinking of getting next?

18 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Not to be the sensitive kind, but is he the kind of dude that likes being "If I can take him to this level" kind of guy?

Don’t really get what your saying Pedro. He’s the kind of dude thats happy to be shown things. I’m not gonna push and he’s not the sort to be pushed. But there are different levels (or perhaps ‘ways’ would be a better word) of travelling and ultimately where we travel together and where I travel alone will be dictated by what level/way he’s comfortable with. 

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

ultimately where we travel together and where I travel alone will be dictated by what level/way he’s comfortable with. 

Well, exactly that, that you assume he's the limiting factor.

Just now, Pedro said:

If he’s not comfortable to travel somewhere then he is the limiting factor on us travelling together. Acknowledging what someone else is and isn’t currently comfortable to do isn’t based on assumption.

I dont expect or want anyone to travel to places they don’t want to go (people who do things they dont want to aren’t a lot of fun) but after a bit of experience he may well change his mind and I’m happy to show him and if it doesnt float his boat Ill go on my tod. Easy.

14 minutes ago, Pedro said:

As I understand it, Caroline's husband isn't as into bikes as she is, and he hasn't been riding that long.

She's more experienced than he is.

11 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Anyway @Pedro what’s your dream bike trip?

Sadly I don't think I have one anymore. 

I used to think of going around Africa as my dream trip, but now no real dream trips anymore. I could do it, have no excuses not to, except just lack of drive.