2021 BMW R 18 First Edition vs. 2021 Harley-Davidson Softail Slim Comparison

Hugh Janus

BMW rolls the R 18 cruiser onto American highways. We grab a Harley-Davidson Softail Slim to compare technology, tradition, and culture in two modern heavyweight twins.
BMW rolls the R 18 cruiser onto American highways. We grab a Harley-Davidson Softail Slim to compare technology, tradition, and culture in two modern heavyweight twins. (Jeff Allen/)

Two of the oldest, most famous motorcycle manufacturers in the world are using all the resources at their disposal to create motorcycles that inspire you, motorcycles that people write songs about and take pictures of everywhere they go. These two machines, the 2021 Harley-Davidson Softail Slim and BMW R 18 First Edition, are, first and foremost, emotionally evocative.

In the time of the Harley-Davidson Knucklehead and BMW R 5, there were no micro-specifications or subcategories. Eighty years ago, motorcycles were just motorcycles, products of topography. A 1936 R 5 might look like a sportbike next to a Harley EL of the same year, as the BMW was developed for riding through European mountains and villages, not, say, crossing Kansas. Ever since, H-D has manufactured what is essentially the same silhouette, gradually updating technology as time passed. New H-Ds have new 45-degree V-twin engines, but squint hard at the 2021 Softail Slim and you can see the ghost of an EL. BMW, on the other hand, now has a different motorcycle at the top of every class of bike except cruiser. For BMW, a company known for technical expertise and engineering, this level of focus on visceral emotional response is new.

BMW’s engineers had several clear goals for the R 18. The new bike had to fit the aesthetic parameters of an American cruiser, including the large engine as the centerpiece. The rider had to feel the bike come alive beneath them as it started up and see moving pieces like the exposed driveshaft. It had to maintain the flat-twin engine, evoke the R 5, and represent BMW’s technical prowess while simultaneously being a true spiritual evolution of the BMW lineage. That’s a lot to accomplish.

Same notes, different songs, these two Big Twin cruisers are at their best on meandering backroads.
Same notes, different songs, these two Big Twin cruisers are at their best on meandering backroads. (Jeff Allen/)

Harley-Davidson, on the other hand, has developed the Softail models from a line of cruiser motorcycles stretching back almost a century. The defining aspects of the cruiser genre exist naturally within Harley-Davidson models because modern cruisers essentially all evolved from Harley-Davidson models. But as the originators of this genre, the company is held to a meticulously high standard. Change cannot come too abruptly or without serious consideration. As Cycle World Technical Editor Kevin Cameron said, “If you get the heritage part right, get the proportions, the colors, the unspoken but clear message right, you may earn the right to move ahead with change.”

Ergonomic packages are similar on each bike, though aftermarket options are much greater on the Softail platform.
Ergonomic packages are similar on each bike, though aftermarket options are much greater on the Softail platform. (Jeff Allen/)

So Harley-Davidson’s flagship line has progressed from what were once very loud, massive, shaky machines into relatively refined vehicles which still preach the silent message of the great American freedom machine. This refinement has come with decades of work, exhaustive study of customer desires, and extensive real-world testing. Three new laboratories have been built over the past two decades specifically for tuning sound and vibration.

The Harley-Davidson Milwaukee-Eight 107 sits in the 2021 Softail Slim.
The Harley-Davidson Milwaukee-Eight 107 sits in the 2021 Softail Slim. (Jeff Allen/)

The Softail’s Milwaukee-Eight engine is solid-mounted to the frame and 100-percent counterbalanced. The transmission of secondary vibration to the rider is controlled through touch points that vary model to model. For example, on the Slim, rubber-mounted handlebar risers and floorboard panels on bushings relay a steady combustion-pulse feeling, only really shaking hard for a moment with initial throttle application. That shake makes every crack of the throttle a joy. You have likely seen and heard the effects of this as Harley riders rev their bikes at stoplights. The engine sings beneath you under acceleration, and a rider can feel the hum of combustion in the best possible way.

To achieve the desired cruiser feel, BMW’s R 18 engine was given its distinct pulse by omitting the balance shaft used on the company’s smaller-displacement flat-twins. Bearing in mind that peak torque was measured at 2,880 rpm, this omission was intended to provide enough vibration to tell the rider the engine is alive, but not so much that it would become irritating, especially as the redline was set at a low 5,500 rpm. The Rock ride mode applies a programmed-in shake and asynchronous rhythm to the idle, and is paired with the most aggressive of three throttle/fueling maps. The big boxer punches to life with a pull to the right, thanks to the longitudinal crankshaft and considerable flywheel effect. Any increase in throttle input torques the bike to some degree. Rain mode has an obvious application, but Roll was only used enough to determine that Rock is where we want to be, and that vibration at speed is the same in all modes.

The R 18’s engine is the physical and visual center of the bike with its large, demanding presence.
The R 18’s engine is the physical and visual center of the bike with its large, demanding presence. (Jeff Allen/)

As revs climb past 3,000 toward peak horsepower at 4,800 rpm, that charming pulse feeling morphs into a droning and tiring vibration. My old 1974 BMW R90/6 had a similar endearing pulse at idle, but it smoothed out as the engine revved toward peak power output, which encouraged the rider to take advantage of the whole rpm range. But that old engine is half the size of this one, so even with the inherent flat-twin buzz, it was much less pronounced. In the R 18, that feeling moves from communicative and friendly in the low revs to an incessant buzz, compelling me to shift earlier than I might naturally and discouraging exploration of the upper horsepower range. A firm seat, solid-mounted handlebar risers, and footpegs bolted straight to the frame do little to damp this vibration. Therefore the charming idle so revered and expected among cruisers was achieved, but the bike must be ridden within certain parameters to avoid adverse effects. As Editor-in-Chief Mark Hoyer said, “The R 18 is very focused on the mellow experience, and if you ride specifically within that performance box, it feels great.”

Floorboards on the Softail Slim allow for a range of motion while riding.
Floorboards on the Softail Slim allow for a range of motion while riding. (Jeff Allen/)

Of course, the 244-pound engine and its two 900cc slugs affect the ride through more than just their moving parts. To fit a human to the R 18, it’s necessary to stretch the wheelbase to 68.1 inches. Even then, mid-mounted foot controls are tucked tightly beneath the massive cylinders, where both our large-footed testers still touched toes to cooling fins. The placement of the cylinders also eliminates any hope of forward foot controls or floorboards, staples of any cruiser acces­sory catalog.

Early scrape points limit the R 18’s cornering ability at speed. Best to slow down and enjoy the ride.
Early scrape points limit the R 18’s cornering ability at speed. Best to slow down and enjoy the ride. (Jeff Allen/)

When it comes to appearance, BMW has done an incredible job. At the R 18 launch, BMW Director of Design Edgar Heinrich said, “In every detail, there must be love.” This shows in the motorcycle’s high level of finish, crisp lines, and lack of clutter. Wires, clamps, and bolts are all tucked neatly away. The R 18 draws from the company’s own classic style, but stretches and molds its lines to fit the American cruiser ethos. It’s hard to find any aesthetic fault in the R 18.

The Softail Slim is also a beautifully styled bike, and it’s hard to beat a V-twin when it comes to the cruiser design. Still, when parked next to the R 18, little pieces that wouldn’t normally attract much attention, exhaust clamps and the like, suddenly jumped out. Harley-Davidson has always been known for its fit and finish and previously set the standard in this cate­gory, but the R 18 raises that bar higher. And perhaps it should, since our First Edition also costs $4,721 more than the Slim.

Brake testing was the one performance category where the R 18 surpassed the Softail Slim.
Brake testing was the one performance category where the R 18 surpassed the Softail Slim. (Jeff Allen/)

Riding the bikes back to back, we found the Harley-Davidson felt like a Ducati Monster compared to the BMW. The Slim was relatively light and agile, tipping into and pulling out of turns more easily and with more grace. Limited cornering clearance on the R 18 reminds you of what you already know: If you’re excited, you probably need to slow down. There is pleasure to be found in the R 18′s ride, but through scenery, not speed. Find a favorite road and take the time to enjoy it. You can get a swift flow going, but rushing is never rewarded on the R18.

Exposed risers help to stir the aftermarket imagination.
Exposed risers help to stir the aftermarket imagination. (Jeff Allen/)

Limited suspension travel and low ride height, mainstays of the cruiser riding experience, are found on both models. Solo seats come standard on each, though the R 18′s is stiffer and less forgiving. Rear suspension travel is within a tenth of an inch, but you wouldn’t know it by riding the bikes. Spending a full Softail tank of gas on the highway may have you tired from fighting the wind, but the same distance on the R 18 exhausts riders through being on constant alert for bumps and shifting their weight to the footpegs to avoid compacting their tailbones. The BMW just rides harder out back.

This comparison proved to be one of cultural significance, style, and emotional response more than engine performance, as the Slim outperformed the R 18 in nearly every test category. While the BMW produced more horsepower and torque on the Cycle World dyno, much of the disparity in our performance testing numbers can be attributed to the bikes’ 124-pound weight difference. The Slim was 0.69 second faster in the quarter-mile, 0.54 second faster to 30 mph, and 1.77 seconds faster to 100 mph. Only in brake testing did the R 18 surpass the Softail, stopping 2.89 feet shorter than the Slim from 60 mph.

Classic-looking chrome bezels on round headlights belie modern technology inside.
Classic-looking chrome bezels on round headlights belie modern technology inside. (Jeff Allen/)

Much in the way that a recent religious convert might feel the need to extol the fundamentals of their newfound belief more than someone born into the faith, BMW has leaned into everything that makes a cruiser a cruiser. The R 18 is longer, heavier, and vibrates more than the competition. But it is also still remarkably BMW, with considerations like a reverse drive, adaptive headlight, heated grips, and the cutesy Rock and Roll ride modes. Herr Miritsch said, “It should be emotional, but without disturbing or even distracting the rider at any time.” And while the bike does succeed in delivering an emotional ride, there are undoubtedly disturbances and distractions if you get it even slightly outside of its designated comfort zone. The end result is something of an uneasy compromise, checking the cruiser boxes while hitting some BMW key points. It feels like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

As a brand that has no real custom or cruiser heritage, BMW has managed to use its own history to create an endearing narrative around this new motorcycle.
As a brand that has no real custom or cruiser heritage, BMW has managed to use its own history to create an endearing narrative around this new motorcycle. (Jeff Allen/)

As a brand that has no real custom or cruiser heritage, BMW has managed to use its own history to create an endearing narrative around this new motorcycle. By adding a thicker seat and vibration-mitigating components at the footpegs, seat, and risers, the pleasure of use on the R 18 could be greatly expanded, its potential more thoroughly realized. The Softail Slim echoes the glory of Harley-Davidson’s century-plus of cruiser motorcycle manufacturing, and other specified Harley-Davidson models are available with the same engine and chassis, tuned to deliver a different experience with each model. BMW brings a solid contender to the fight, but for now, it’s all Harley-Davidsons on the Route 66 postcards.

2021 BMW R 18 First Edition 2021 Harley-Davidson Softail Slim
ENGINE
Type

Air-/oil-cooled, horizontally
opposed twin

45-degree Milwaukee-Eight 107 V-twin

Displacement

1,802cc

1,745cc

Bore X Stroke

107.1 x 100.0mm

100.0 x 111.1mm

Compression Ratio

9.6:1

10.0:1

Valve Train

OHV, 4 valves/cylinder

OHV, 4 valves/cylinder

Induction

(2) 48mm throttle bodies

(1) 55mm throttle body

Trans. / Final Drive

6-speed/shaft drive

6-speed/belt
CHASSIS
Front
Suspension

49mm telescopic fork, nonadjustable; 4.7 in. travel

49mm telescopic fork, nonadjustable; 5.1 in. travel

Rear
Suspension

Steel swingarm w/ central shock strut, spring preload adjustable;
3.5 in. travel

Coilover monoshock, spring preload adjustable; 3.4 in. travel

Front Tire

Bridgestone Battlecruise H50 120/70R-19

Dunlop D401 130/90B-16

Rear Tire

Bridgestone Battlecruise H50 180/65B-16

Dunlop D401 150/80B-16

Rake / Trail

32.7°/5.9 in.

30.0°/5.8 in.

Wheelbase

68.1 in.

64.2 in.

Seat Height

27.2 in.

26.4 in.

Fuel Capacity

4.2 gal.

5.0 gal.

Dry Weight

764 lb.

642 lb.
CW MEASURED PERFORMANCE
Horsepower

81.3 hp @ 4,800 rpm

73.7 hp @ 4,900 rpm

Torque

103.1 lb.-ft. @ 2,900 rpm

98.4 lb.-ft. @ 2,800 rpm

Fuel Consumption

35.9 mpg

36.7 mpg

Quarter-mile

13.82 sec. @ 100.82 mph

13.13 sec. @ 104.13 mph

0-30

2.37 sec.

1.83 sec.

0-60

4.96 sec.

4.39 sec.

0-100

13.50 sec.

11.73 sec.

Top-gear Roll-on 40-60

4.44 sec.

3.93 sec

Top-gear Roll-on 60-80

4.99 sec.

4.23 sec.

Braking 30-0

34.0 ft.

35.8 ft.

Braking 60-0

135.5 ft.

138.4 ft.

Price

$22,265

$15,999 ($17,544 as tested)

Source

Having never ridden an R18 or a big Harley, I would go for the Harley every time, provided it's not one of these modern ones with the "already custom" rear end with the chopped fender and weird side placed rear light and plate. 

Same as I wouldn't go for Harley if choosing between one and a GS or KTM or Tenere, horses for courses.

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

As someone who has disappeared underneath a toppling 320+ kilo Harley (I did type Fat Boy but you can imagine how that read ?) I don’t find them manageable ? 

Well, they’re not manageable for you then, but they are indeed for plenty of people. I never test rode any of them because I try to not ride bikes I don’t plan on buying but both felt perfectly ok stopped.

21 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

As someone who has disappeared underneath a toppling 320+ kilo Harley (I did type Fat Boy but you can imagine how that read ?) I don’t find them manageable ? 

You had a Fat Boy on top of you then? :classic_unsure:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Well, they’re not manageable for you then, but they are indeed for plenty of people. I never test rode any of them because I try to not ride bikes I don’t plan on buying but both felt perfectly ok stopped.

Unless youre lucky enough to have reverse or find yourself in the position of always being able to ride in and ride out its the inevitable pushing them about that does you in. Having said that I met three Aussie women who all rode Harley road glides (370+kg) when they were at home. I asked them about having to move them and they said they dont, theyre just careful where they park!

If youre “careful where you park”  in England you’d never get parked! The joys of living in wide open spaces ay!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Unless youre lucky enough to have reverse or find yourself in the position of always being able to ride in and ride out its the inevitable pushing them about that does you in. Having said that I met three Aussie women who all rode Harley road glides (370+kg) when they were at home. I asked them about having to move them and they said they dont, theyre just careful where they park!

If youre “careful where you park”  in England you’d never get parked! The joys of living in wide open spaces ay!

Reversing a 250kg bike uphill, or 350 is the same, you plan ahead. Obviously a proper big bike likes a reverse gear, but if you ride a heavy bike without you plan ahead. Parking and reversing uphill isn't the point, though, it's the "nobody can handle a heavy bike" thing

33 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Reversing a 250kg bike uphill, or 350 is the same, you plan ahead. Obviously a proper big bike likes a reverse gear, but if you ride a heavy bike without you plan ahead. Parking and reversing uphill isn't the point, though, it's the "nobody can handle a heavy bike" thing

Not sure how hills came into the equation and of course some peeps can handle heavy bikes or Harley Davidson would have ceased to exist. Simply the heavier the bike the harder it is to push and no matter how careful the planning at some point you have to push. In or out of a garage, back into or out of a tight space, it happens and depending on where you live it can be regularly. Now I may be a kermit the frog armed female but 250kg I can push, 350kg I cant. The lighter the bike the easier it is thats physics. So a lot of peeps look at 350kg and understandably think no ta!

I wouldn't have either one anyway but for me, I have to turn the bikes in the back garden and get them in the sheds. Not the most uneven or smallest but this is where I struggle. I still consider myself reasonably fit a strong but for this reason is why I trader the XT1200.
If honest Mandis cbf1000 is the bike that's gives me the hardest time and I did drop the previous one. Heavy, low with narrow bars but she's loves the bloody thing.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

I wouldn't have either one anyway but for me, I have to turn the bikes in the back garden and get them in the sheds. Not the most uneven or smallest but this is where I struggle. I still consider myself reasonably fit a strong but for this reason is why I trader the XT1200.
If honest Mandis cbf1000 is the bike that's gives me the hardest time and I did drop the previous one. Heavy, low with narrow bars but she's loves the bloody thing.

Yer getting the Fat Boy in and out of a garage with awkward access is why my dad wanted to get rid of it. Pulling it backwards at an angle is the thing I struggle with most. I suppose thats why its part of the test here, I stood still so long to recover after pulling my bike backwards in arc on my test the examiner thought there was something wrong ? 

Working Out Sesame Street GIF

• Like 1

Had a 98 Road King Classic.  It was a Harley in the truest sense - rear brake better than front, suspension was so-so.  But, the paint and chrome were excellent! (seriously).  

I love my R18, however.  There is a quality that BMW imbibes in all their products that isnt really matched by other bike makers.  Not that the others are falling apart.  Go ahead and throw out the recall slings, or failed final drive comments.  I've never not been taken care of by the mother ship.

That being said, i've signed up to test the Harley BMW (Pan American) come late may, at Lake Elsinore.  I'm wondering if i should ride my BMW Harley there ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, alfalfa said:

That being said, i've signed up to test the Harley BMW (Pan American) come late may, at Lake Elsinore.  I'm wondering if i should ride my BMW Harley there ?

That's just too much to keep up with. Ride a GS there, and step off one and ride the other back to back. I'm interested (theoretically) on your conclusions

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pedro said:

That's just too much to keep up with. Ride a GS there, and step off one and ride the other back to back. I'm interested (theoretically) on your conclusions

I've already heard real-life reviews (a few) on the Harley GS and for the most part, people like it.  More power than my GS, at about the same weight.

The only complaint is the front end look, but then we like the GS front end ?

• Like 2