The Eastern Edge

MooN

continuing the Cardinal points of the Yonne departement with the Eastern most point accessible by road:

Desperately getting some riding in before we get shut down again...

The eastern most point of the Yonne is on the D186 between Jully and Fotaine les seches ( which is in the Cote D'or departement but has a Yonne postcode...bizarre!)

47:46'38"N  04:20'04"E

1581603983_easternedge.png.50c3e332d79dfd57ec5c094ebb64a660.png

Round trip of 130 odd km, took nearly 3 hours with lots of little windy back roads.

DSC04408.thumb.JPG.296ba9cd19b5cb10cd28d4b6de49a8b8.JPG

DSC04407.thumb.JPG.bbd0cd40fbb752d149ba55503ee33eca.JPG

DSC04412.thumb.JPG.5b305e3c6765717573b5801e5040c714.JPG

The trip to the east edge was more interesting than to the north with wide open vistasalternating with the eternal forest roads. Surprisingly few vinyards though as the route skirts the southern edge of the Chablis region through the Tonnerois area.  Destination point was prettier too but no sign or marking of any kind to actually show the boundary like they do on the major roads.

This is it, to within a few meters DSC04417.thumb.JPG.e591088d48895d06e49a84b2335ba490.JPG

everything in front is "Cote D'or"

DSC04419.thumb.JPG.b558500dfe6ad03bcc8fc214f00349e7.JPG

and behind is "L'Yonne" ( I like this pic)DSC04418.thumb.JPG.2a8ec366721a7996ea3313a9ce9aa543.JPG

I was running ut of fuel, having not refilled since yesterday's Northwards jaunt, so googled the nearest fuel point and headed there at Ancey le Franc. From there rode home via Noyers sur Serein

DSC04425.thumb.JPG.0354bc48437ff4387cdaa7edcd78125c.JPG

got home just in time to pick up a call from N01 daughter aho'd managed to rip the rear bumper half off her car whilst picking her sisters up from school... ho hum...

nice afternoon out though, but temps are rising and it's getting to that stage where the flies are back out, you really want thermal gear on whilst actually riding but the minit you stop you drown in your own sweat... 

• Like 5

Love France (and not because of my surname).  We usually tour with Laurent, from Ride in Tours.  I agree that the picture above of your bike and the trees is great!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pedro said:

Hard packed, smooth, grippy dirt?  That road, please!!

Your reports make me want to go to France.

well I'm glad ny pics have some effect, maybe I should be getting paid by the tourist board?  That road, however, is actually tarmac, old and worn perhaps but a mettalled road non the less. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Really great pics. How old is the cobbled street?

nearly as old as some of he codgers on here...

its all very medievel, or what is still there today is, Noyers belonged to the duke of Burgundy as far back as 1240 something, before that it was the ancestral seat of the Miles family but the earliest recorded settlement there dates back to the Sequani,  a pre romain tribe of Gauls. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MooN said:

nearly as old as some of he codgers on here...

its all very medievel, or what is still there today is, Noyers belonged to the duke of Burgundy as far back as 1240 something, before that it was the ancestral seat of the Miles family but the earliest recorded settlement there dates back to the Sequani,  a pre romain tribe of Gauls. 

Wow we’re talking OLD old. I know this is might sound a bit daft but I find it quite amazing how long buildings last if humans inhabit them and how quickly they decay n get reclaimed by nature if they dont.

• Like 3