So you go on Bike Forums?

XTreme

Why? What do you get out of it? What sort of stuff appeals to you? What puts you off using certain forums? What do bike forums give you that Facebutt can't?

The reason for these questions is I'm trying to get more info on peoples' requirements and preferences, hopefully to promote this place in a way that will attract interest.

Problem is this......we're battling Facebutt these days, not other forums. So we have to keep growing and moving forward......we can't just stand still.

I feel that was a major factor on some of our previous incarnations.....complacency set in and we didn't advance as a forum.

We kept doing the same old thing and didn't take Facebook seriously, and eventually we paid the price for it. And I openly admit that I have to share some of the blame for that.

Now we know what we're up against......and it's about time we took back what Facebutt took from us 10 years ago! And we'll use their platform to do it for us!

So any feedback you can give me would be great! 

6 minutes ago, Tym said:

Seems the more people are lockdowned the better, doesnt seem like a sustainable model for success however. :classic_unsure:

We did get the influx of the old regulars during the April lockdown......and we managed to survive the post-Lockdown period. And I didn't think we would.

The irony is that so many people moan about the continual shit on FB, but yet they don't change their habits. It's like they're addicted.

Even the fact that FB have been proved to be selling off their personal info doesn't seem to bother them.

27 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Why? What do you get out of it? What sort of stuff appeals to you? What puts you off using certain forums? What do bike forums give you that Facebutt can't?

The reason for these questions is I'm trying to get more info on peoples' requirements and preferences, hopefully to promote this place in a way that will attract interest.

Problem is this......we're battling Facebutt these days, not other forums. So we have to keep growing and moving forward......we can't just stand still.

I feel that was a major factor on some of our previous incarnations.....complacency set in and we didn't advance as a forum.

We kept doing the same old thing and didn't take Facebook seriously, and eventually we paid the price for it. And I openly admit that I have to share some of the blame for that.

Now we know what we're up against......and it's about time we took back what Facebutt took from us 10 years ago! And we'll use their platform to do it for us!

So any feedback you can give me would be great! 

never been on face ache type sites so i dont know, im a forum type of dude ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skyrider said:

never been on face ache type sites so i dont know, im a forum type of dude ?

Thanks Lionel......so can you give me some insight on that? Why do you prefer forums? What do you get out of them? What sort of stuff appeals to you? What doesn't appeal to you? 

Face fuck is very much in my view an impersonal place though most who use it tend to be of the snowflake type and very sensitive to others' views whereby it apparently matters what is said and the replies given where as what I like about most forums is they are generally fairly separate tight knit groups of like minded people who enjoy just having some good craic and not taking things too seriously unless it's about a subject matter that collectively hits home with alot of said forums member base.

This is why I too prefer forums to face fuck

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Richzx6r said:

Face fuck is very much in my view an impersonal place though most who use it tend to be of the snowflake type and very sensitive to others' views whereby it apparently matters what is said and the replies given where as what I like about most forums is they are generally fairly separate tight knit groups of like minded people who enjoy just having some good craic and not taking things too seriously unless it's about a subject matter that collectively hits home with alot of said forums member base.

This is why I too prefer forums to face fuck

Cheers Rich!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Thanks Lionel......so can you give me some insight on that? Why do you prefer forums? What do you get out of them? What sort of stuff appeals to you? What doesn't appeal to you? 

right i think forums are more friendlier places, you can ask a question and get a civilised answer i only go on bike sites and that appeals , someone was telling me a couple of years ago that he knows someone that goes face ache and the person was telling him that it is a  site for slagging people off i think it probably has it's good points but if someone starts having a go at me i will just ignore it and not bother with a reply that's just the way i am 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, skyrider said:

right i think forums are more friendlier places, you can ask a question and get a civilised answer i only go on bike sites and that appeals , someone was telling me a couple of years ago that he knows someone that goes face ache and the person was telling him that it is a  site for slagging people off i think it probably has it's good points but if someone starts having a go at me i will just ignore it and not bother with a reply that's just the way i am 

Cheers Lionel!  And this is also for @Richzx6r........What is the more important aspect for you on a Forum......Content or Community?

Dislike? Thick brits who post entire book chapters using no punctuation, makes my head hurt. 

Like? The brotherhood of people I've known for a lot of years, without actually having to meet every week. 

also like? Getting to know cool people like @Grasshopper's Ride and @Lone Amigo

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I use Facebook for the bike side of things like what events are coming up and dedicated groups for a particular bike for information, but even sticking to those groups i have to come away from there to take a breath because i cant take the crap on there it's so hard to scroll past and not read it :classic_laugh: The only forum i visit other than this one is the XRV one but i found it very clicky. when in its prime i could answer someones question and the guy asking it would thank someone giving the same answer 3 posts down and not even acknowledge me and this happened all the time so i gave up on it, now its dead I've tried but still the same and I've been active on there for 13 years. 

Enjoying this place at the moment, but as its growing i'm finding it more and more difficult to keep up with everything and starting to miss posts as i don't have the time to sit and read everything, the good thing with the forum is its easy to pick up where you left off where on Facebook its lost forever after a day

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

The only forum i visit other than this one is the XRV one but i found it very clicky

Didn't he sell it off some years ago to a corporate?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I think so and then everyone disappeared its been dead ever since

Didn't they go to that Big Trailie one that Bob goes on.....but it doesn't seem to get much activity.

6 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Didn't they go to that Big Trailie one that Bob goes on.....but it doesn't seem to get much activity.

Not sure Pete i only joined up because it covered 3 of the bikes i own in one place and was a great resource of information even with the clickyness. I only tend to sign up to stuff i have an interest in. One thing i can never understand is why people join bike groups for a bike they don't own or never have any intension of owning beats the shit out of me that one

• Haha 1

I've got to admit, I use Facebutt a lot... I'm ashamed to admit it..
But i  have 2 daughters and a wife who use it more than me, and we use it as a communication tool when we aren't  together.
Fuck all to do with bikes, but I am active in several forums to keep in touch with bikey stuff, invaluable for advice on matters mechanical, a great source of resources when you want parts, and  a place to hang out for banter with deranged weirdos who share the same strange sense of humour.
Thanks to Pete for setting this up after Maxbikes shut down.. it's good to bounce off old friends.. guys and gals we never meet in person , and guys and gals we do.

• Like 2

Just now, Bruce said:

Where's that psychedelic pink bike you rode? You should post pics up so that Rich fella knows he's  just the current in a long succession of twats

It wasn't pink Bruce...it was Magenta..

209130_2038071435117_2566437_o (1).jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bruce said:

You poor bastard. No wonder you're here. Nobody wants to be physically seen with you. Hear that Mucho! Put it in your fucking book.

C'mon Bruce... don't be hard on me... I was young and unafraid back then.

• Haha 1