Mine's only on 37K kms......

XTreme

.........so there's hope it may last until Xmas!

I just saw this on FB......2004 V-Strom 650. That's in kms so that's about 125K miles.

119729620_10221378393481383_6375157862513270152_o.jpg.4dd3cd83dde6ac8665b62851a8ed60f1.jpg

No engine work needed and he has only replaced the clutch fairly recently.......as a precaution.

He bought it in 2012 with 30K kms on it......and he's never even checked the valves!

In fact, I've seen 650's with even higher miles with no engine work done. As for the 1000's I've seen one over 400K kms......over 250K miles.

They're bloated, ugly, budget parts bin specials......but the motors are as tough as it gets!

• Like 2

Incredible! 

Dilemma for me is that I fancy changing the Strom........but I've got this nagging doubt in the back of my mind that I'll be making the same mistake that I did with my two previous Stroms.

After both of them went I kept thinking it was a bad decision.

• Like 2

After all is said and done, repeatedly, you’ll realise you need two bikes. The strom will keep it’s value so buy another bike and get rid of the one you end up not using after three months.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

After all is said and done, repeatedly, you’ll realise you need two bikes. The strom will keep it’s value so buy another bike and get rid of the one you end up not using after three months.

If I got another bike it would be a CRF250L.......different type of bike obviously, and used for a different purpose.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, XTreme said:

If I got another bike it would be a CRF250L.......different type of bike obviously, and used for a different purpose.

It would be refreshing for you to ride a lighter more off-road capable bike, but maybe too small an engine for an only bike 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pedro said:

This. :littleguy:

• Like 2

Strange how things turn out! I went out this morning (only for an hour) and the Strom just didn't click with me.  Didn't feel natural......bit like I was riding someone else's bike. And the bloody dead weight of it is killing my knackered knees when I need to manoeuvre it about.

I've felt like this for a few weeks now but it was definitely more pronounced today because I was on smaller roads. Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut instinct on bikes......it's served me well enough since 1971.

The two bike thing is an option.......but not in my case! Everybody's circumstances are different and I think mine are pretty well documented:

My eldest boy walking out on the business 4 years ago and dumping everything in my lap.......and just keep in mind the Internet doesn't close so I'm always on call. There is no cop-out in that area!

Then there's the wife's arthritis condition which is progressively deteriorating.......she now has limited mobility and no longer drives. So with no family here that responsibility falls on me as well.

All this plus the fact that I'm not as young as I was.......and of course there's always the ominous thought of hitting 70 in just over 3 years time in the back of my mind.

Of course I still want to ride bikes.....the break between the last XT and the Strom drove me crazy! Not to mention the 9 week lockdown.

But I've got to be realistic......I'm old now, and I need to get something that'll be enjoyable to ride and also make my life easier. @Lone Amigo knows where I'm coming from on this!

So Monday morning I'll be phoning Towca Honda in Granada.......

Towca_Granada-5-1024x683.jpg.ab9a3068629195ae7424091c6976c527.jpg

......and seeing if we can put a deal together for a new one of these!

Honda_iSD_19_CRF250L_motorcycle_honda_EN.jpg.4fc47bd9e5414f42710ba09dbd9a59dd.jpg

As @Tym knows.......I've been on about getting one of these for years.

I was just about to pull the trigger on one early last year but then the Strom turned up!

So all I can say is watch this space!

• Like 5

Go get it Pete  :littleguy:

You don't go on trips abroad or to the other side of Spain so it will do you fine.  I've been to France twice on my 250 and as long as you leave motorways out it's absolutely fine, just tune yourself in to the slightly slower speeds, you see more of the countryside anyway.

I'll probably be in your position before long (dodgy right knee and hip) but I know that I'll be able to carry on riding on the 250 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Go get it Pete  :littleguy:

You don't go on trips abroad or to the other side of Spain so it will do you fine.  I've been to France twice on my 250 and as long as you leave motorways out it's absolutely fine, just tune yourself in to the slightly slower speeds, you see more of the countryside anyway.

I'll probably be in your position before long (dodgy right knee and hip) but I know that I'll be able to carry on riding on the 250 

Cheers Bob!

The thing is, until you actually get to this sort of stage, it's difficult to understand. But everybody's going to get there.......whether they want to admit it or not!

I'm convinced there are many 60+ riders who are riding round on bikes that they're struggling to cope with at low speeds because of their bulk.....but they don't want to admit it.

The other thing is that the type of riding I do has changed over the years......there's more and more remote exploration.

But unlike you and @Sir Fallsalot I'm not looking for offroad areas to ride. But given the region I live in, and the places I want to access, offroad riding isn't a choice.....it's a necessity.

• Like 2

I think you are being very wise with listening to your instincts, some people never learn to do that. I have a few years to go for the older age parts, but I understand working for yourself and never being able to completely "turn off" or just knowing someone else will do the work when you are gone, nope, its all you.  So a motorcycle is important for many reasons.........AND DAMNNNNNN I love that Honda, ? I have been thinking about something just like that, but I am still in love with my Himalayan for now.  I am excited for you.....that bike just looks FUN! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, XTreme said:

As @Tym knows.......I've been on about getting one of these for years.

Best thing about my see through plastic tank is the weight i dont need to carry anymore on my KLR, i filled the tank up the last time for the fun of it, i've gone 237 miles..

still have plenty of gas to run locally with...ugh 237 worth of miles in my tank i dint need to carry all these years except on  long trip.s

:thud:

• Like 1

But there's another sting in the tail!

The dealer in Granada that I spoke to about the G650GS mailed me earlier to tell me it had gone!

BUT.......he's got another 2015 one in........with even LESS miles (11K).

And the condition looks even better than the first which was pretty impressive!

The deal would be the Strom plus €1500........and the Beemer comes with a year's warranty.  It's very tempting!

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-16 at 20.30.09.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-16 at 20.30.12 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-16 at 20.30.12 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-16 at 20.30.12.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-16 at 20.30.13 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-16 at 20.30.13 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-16 at 20.30.13 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-16 at 20.30.13.jpeg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tym said:

Best thing about my see through plastic tank is the weight i dont need to carry anymore on my KLR, i filled the tank up the last time for the fun of it, i've gone 237 miles..

still have plenty of gas to run locally with...ugh 237 worth of miles in my tank i dint need to carry all these years except on  long trip.s

:thud:

Yeh......but in Winter you should keep it full to the brim to prevent corrosion due to condensation.

Probably no need for me to do that here, but it's a habit from the Brit years (1971-2005) that I can't shake off.

9 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Yeh......but in Winter you should keep it full to the brim to prevent corrosion due to condensation.

Probably no need for me to do that here, but it's a habit from the Brit years (1971-2005) that I can't shake off.

His tank is plastic Pete LOL

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

His tank is plastic Pete LOL

I know that Fred......but I'm talking about the years he kept it full when he had the original...... and it was in response to this!

14 minutes ago, XTreme said:

237 worth of miles in my tank i dint need to carry all these years.

Did you bang your head today.......cos you're on a fucking roll! :classic_wacko:

• Haha 2

The metal one is safe in a very dry place.

Yup it was a PIA keeping it full to keep it safe from corrosion,

every trip started with 6 galons plus of fuel, ugh.

:wave:

• Like 1

ohhh, that is tempting....not as cute as the Honda, but maybe that's a good thing. ? Still, to be able to trade in the Strom for what you paid, nice.  I don't really know you, but the GS seems more your style.  How much lighter is it though?  That Honda is easy to move around I bet.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

ohhh, that is tempting....not as cute as the Honda, but maybe that's a good thing. ? Still, to be able to trade in the Strom for what you paid, nice.  I don't really know you, but the GS seems more your style.  How much lighter is it though?  That Honda is easy to move around I bet.

This is how they weigh in....kgs and lbs:

Strom   220/485
G650GS  190/425
CRF250L 145/320

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Wouldn’t you be tempted with the faired 250? Probably a lot better for tarmac, and you’re not likely to take it on mud.

I'm not likely to even find mud Pedro......we've had many years of dry Winters and the reservoirs are now at their lowest points ever.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1