Old Railway Station in Gorafe!

XTreme

Continuing my journey of locating abandoned stations on the old GSSR Railway.......today I tracked down Gorafe Station. 

Or rather, the ruins of Gorafe Station as it's currently being used as a goat shed. What a waste!

This was the most difficult station so far as neither Google Maps nor Google Earth were that clear on what sort of terrain I might have to cross. 

It turned out to be pretty rough, full of rocks, and very bumpy. Whoever owns the place now had two guard dogs roaming as well.....just to make things more interesting. 

What was a surprise was that I also found some other abandoned buildings following the trail to the station......one looked like a former bar and hotel.

Went into the bar actually......and everything is still in place despite being abandoned in 1984. Bit spooky really.

Watch the vid first (all offroad).......that way you'll get a better overview of where everything was located.

This one was hard, the terrain wasn't so clever, it was baking hot, and I ain't getting any younger! But it's better than languishing in an Old Folks Home!

Here's the updated map.......green spots are completed stations.

gssr.jpg.f2623080a1fa9ebfd101018781dd225c.jpg

This is how it looked in 1966.....

gf.jpg.441080d77bd3a3221c1b15d2586479bb.jpg

And this is what it looks like now........

vs373.jpg

vs373a-min.jpg

vs373b-min.jpg

vs374.jpg

vs374a-min.jpg

vs374b-min.jpg

vs374c-min.jpg

vs374d-min.jpg

vs374e-min.jpg

vs374f-min.jpg

vs374g-min.jpg

vs374h-min.jpg

vs374i-min.jpg

vs374j-min.jpg

vs375.jpg

vs375a-min.jpg

vs375b-min.jpg

vs375c-min.jpg

vs376.jpg

vs376a-min.jpg

vs376b-min.jpg

vs376c-min.jpg

vs377.jpg

vs377a-min.jpg

vs377b-min.jpg

vs377c-min.jpg

vs377d-min.jpg

vs378.jpg

vs378a-min.jpg

vs378b-min.jpg

vs379.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Fuckmine Pete, that's the best one yet  :littleguy:   You actually did some off-roading there, of course it may have been different had it been raining   ?

It would have been different Bob.......it wouldn't have happened! :classic_cool:

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, XTreme said:

Notice the Twilight Zone pic in the bar.......with the hat still there? @Earache pointed it out on Facebook!

vs374g.jpg

I normally give up on threads with lots of pics as on this particular site, with my very slow internet connection (1.3Mb/s today), they just flash 2 shades of grey for ages until they eventually materialise and it makes my head hurt. BUT, I held on because of what you said about the abandoned bar and it was worth waiting for, especially that hat! If you go back, take a little tripod and a tea towel. Pop the tea towel over you arm and stand behind the bar for the perfect barman shot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

I normally give up on threads with lots of pics as on this particular site, with my very slow internet connection (1.3Mb/s today), they just flash 2 shades of grey for ages until they eventually materialise and it makes my head hurt. BUT, I held on because of what you said about the abandoned bar and it was worth waiting for, especially that hat! If you go back, take a little tripod and a tea towel. Pop the tea towel over you arm and stand behind the bar for the perfect barman shot.

600MB fibre optic up and down here Yen! :classic_cool:

Can't be easy living in a third world country like Britain these days! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

@XTreme Fibre optic here as well, When they first installed it they gave you the choice of dial up for free or broadband for something like £4.99 a month, they just didn't understand just how cheap the welsh were, everyone was on free dial up for years until they started charging close to the broadband price for it then dial up just disappeared LOL

• Like 1

Bottles and a hat just sitting there for almost 4 decades? And the good stuff cupboard on the left with one glass door open... :classic_ninja:

Good going Pete.

• Like 2