Thunderbird 600, who knew ?

zzzak

My guess is somewhere around 72 given the disc brake, it looks like some sort of American chopper thing with the wheel sizes, anyone got any more info ? 

Thunderbird 600.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, XTreme said:

POS!

A last desperate attempt to keep up with the Japs, they abandoned it and went for the T140V, a bike with a built in wrist wrestling function that doubled as a clutch.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, XTreme said:

POS!

One of my riding mates has an immaculate 1973 Bonnie, it is genuinely beautiful but he has a problem with the reality of the thing.  He will on one breath tell me that anything over 70 mph and he can't see through the vibs then on the next breath tell me how much better his 50 year bike is than mine.     I love the old machines  the look, style and sound of them but actually wanting one for every day use you genuinely would have to be some sort of masochist.     

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saul said:

One of my riding mates has an immaculate 1973 Bonnie, it is genuinely beautiful but he has a problem with the reality of the thing.  He will on one breath tell me that anything over 70 mph and he can see through the vibs then on the next breath tell me how much better his 50 year bike is than mine.     I love the old machines  the look, style and sound of them but actually wanting one for every day use you genuinely would have to be some sort of masochist.     

I suppose they're ok if you stay out of the more modern faster roads and keep to those 40 to 60mph "period" speeds?

I sometimes think about flying to Italy or Germany and pick up an old bike to ride back home on back roads. My lack of real mechanical ability kind of doesn't match that fantasy though.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Saul said:

One of my riding mates has an immaculate 1973 Bonnie, it is genuinely beautiful but he has a problem with the reality of the thing.  He will on one breath tell me that anything over 70 mph and he can see through the vibs then on the next breath tell me how much better his 50 year bike is than mine.     I love the old machines  the look, style and sound of them but actually wanting one for every day use you genuinely would have to be some sort of masochist.     

Having a 1973 bike is great......in 1973.

In 2024 it doesn't hack it in any area!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

I suppose they're ok if you stay out of the more modern faster roads and keep to those 40 to 60mph "period" speeds?

I sometimes think about flying to Italy or Germany and pick up an old bike to ride back home on back roads. My lack of real mechanical ability kind of doesn't match that fantasy though.

Specifically for Mr Can't see for the Vibes, not so hot when you are riding with a group mostly made up with modern bikes, he always has to lead so not to be left or struggle to match the pace.  We are all older so don't push that much so not a massive problem but while we are bimbling along at a comfy speed he is wringing his bike to stay with us and consequently not in his bikes comfort zone or his.    Plus he is an adinoidal droning fwit so none of us cares that much about him.  His only talk is Land Rovers, shot guns and Bonnies and he knows everything about everything else, superior tedious fucker.  I could tell many tales but it would be unkind.    Now another guy in our group has a stunning 1974 Norton Commando that he has owned for 40 years, nobody minds accommodating him as he is just a decent guy who loves his Norton.     

I do fantasise about a R80/R90/R100 of some form the 1970's which would probably be close to modern reliability if regularly and well looked after.   Don't know if I would ride with my current group with it though.    I would love to do what you suggest, sounds like a brilliant adventure.  😉

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Saul said:

Plus he is an adinoidal droning fwit so none of us cares that much about him.  His only talk is Land Rovers, shot guns and Bonnies and he knows everything about everything else, superior tedious fucker.  I could tell many tales but it would be unkind.

That was you being kind to him? :classic_laugh:

Had to look Adenoidal up, learned a new word today!

In my fantasy it would be a white or black single seat R50, 60 or 69S. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pedro said:

That was you being kind to him? :classic_laugh:

Had to look Adenoidal up, learned a new word today!

In my fantasy it would be a white or black single seat R50, 60 or 69S. 

I was being kind, you haven't met him 🤣

He is one of those guys that's in the group but nobody really knows why.  Apart from the fact that we have all lived in the same town forever and went to school together.   

I have entered one of those bike lotteries for a R60/5 with the toaster tank.   Very nice, under no illusions about winning but it's nice to dream.   

• Like 2

I thought those Win A Bike lotteries were sort of dodgy,  but someone I know won!, it was a Honda Forza 300, I have entered a couple of times, not holding my breath on a win though. 

• Like 2

Just now, Clive said:

I thought those Win A Bike lotteries were sort of dodgy,  but someone I know won!, it was a Honda Forza 300, I have entered a couple of times, not holding my breath on a win though. 

Yeah I thought the same but like you I know someone who won a Merc Pickup thing, plus @ £2.99 a ticket I thought it was worth a punt for the sort of bike I like but would probably never pony up to buy.  😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Clive said:

Me.......... I can't win a argument 😂 

Me too, if it weren't for bad luck I would have none at all.  🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Marcel said:

Not to be drag...but since are two knobend mods aren't doing there job....shouldn't this be in motorcycle chat ?

Your wish is my command @Marcel  , if only we were all as sharp as you ..........

Sarcastic Uh Huh GIF by GIPHY Studios 2021

• Like 2
  • Haha 2