Normandy beaches

MooN

13 minutes ago, Saul said:

A choir I used to sing for.   You can just see my shiny head about 3 from the right in the middle row.  

nephew wants to go there, try and get out there this year.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Saul said:

When we went to Tyne Cott cemetery in Belgium I didn’t understand why there were graves inscribed here lies two British soldiers or other multiples or something like here’s lies two unknown Germans.    That type of thing.   I felt a right tit when I asked to discover they were buried like that as it was impossible to separate the remains.    That really shocked me, not something I had thought about before.  

We also visited the cemetery where my great uncle is buried, who was killed during the retreat to Dunkirk. I was also shocked by the number of graves inscribed "Here lies a soldier, known only to god"! I would guess that 30% of the graves there (British and French) were inscribed with that! Very sobering!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Saul said:

A choir I used to sing for.   You can just see my shiny head about 3 from the right in the middle row.  

Did the guy 7th in from the left in front of Harold Shipman always look like he was either surprised or being fondled by the aforementioned Harold Shipman lookalike?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, busabeast said:

Did the guy 7th in from the left in front of Harold Shipman always look like he was either surprised or being fondled by the aforementioned Harold Shipman lookalike?

That’s Dave Williams, terrified of getting something wrong that’s why he looks like that 🤣

I reckon he could do with being fondled abit he might chill the fuck out for once.  

Just realised about the Harold Shipman quote 🤣🤣🤣.  He is a retired Chief Fire Officer, lovely bloke and was a stalwart of Bodmin rugby club.  The sort you would want in you corner if things got sticky, heavy handed in his day😉 🤣  

• Haha 3

well i've pretty much finished the planning for this trip, two dasys travelling ( one up & one back) and two days doing some museums and memorials, starting on the right at the german batteryr at Merville and moving west  via pegasus bridge, the bunker at Ouistreham, , the British memorial at Ver sur Mer and Arromanches and SWORD beach. Then a US day taking in Colville cemetry, OMAHA beach, le point du Hoc, Utah and st Mere église. If I get enough time i'll try and sneak a quick peek at the bayeux tapestry ( wich is neither a tapestry nor from Bayeux...) but that's secondary.  I have contacted a couple of B & B's in the area but I think I'll probably use the municipal camping in Bayeux as a base.  1120 odd km trip in theory.  I now just need to persuade people that they really won't be interested in what i'm visiting so they really don't want to come... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, MooN said:

I now just need to persuade people that they really won't be interested in what i'm visiting so they really don't want to come... 

Tell them some people from this forum might meet up for the sightseeing, and give them a link  ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Tell them some people from this forum might meet up for the sightseeing, and give them a link  ...

Show them my groin!

• Haha 2