Geeky Barsteward

Saul

Just came across one of my old Macbooks (I have a pile of them), I haven't touched it in years but still a 15" MacBook Pro so was a decent bit of kit in its day.    Plugged it in a left it for a while, it eventually boots after several updates.  Updated my passwords and bugger me it is working like a charm.  Not bad for a 14 year old lappy, I know battery life is shite but it will email, Office, Youtube and the like.    It has obviously had upgrades over the years but you would be hard pushed to find a 2009 PC lappy that is still genuinely usable today.    Question is will I use it? probably not, modern stuff is so much better in every way, but Kermit lives and that pleased me.     

IMG_0873.thumb.jpeg.e76329ba48d9b057da203fe447792e80.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saul said:

Just came across one of my old Macbooks (I have a pile of them), I haven't touched it in years but still a 15" MacBook Pro so was a decent bit of kit in its day.    Plugged it in a left it for a while, it eventually boots after several updates.  Updated my passwords and bugger me it is working like a charm.  Not bad for a 14 year old lappy, I know battery life is shite but it will email, Office, Youtube and the like.    It has obviously had upgrades over the years but you would be hard pushed to find a 2009 PC lappy that is still genuinely usable today.    Question is will I use it? probably not, modern stuff is so much better in every way, but Kermit lives and that pleased me.     

IMG_0873.thumb.jpeg.e76329ba48d9b057da203fe447792e80.jpeg

Design looks very dated compared to the modern stuff!

I dunno doesn’t look that much different to my current model MacBook.    Only thing I think that is glaringly obvious is the screen resolution.  

IMG_0874.thumb.jpeg.71975817ba4c8946c20dcea68da362d8.jpeg

• Like 3

What did you do to have so many old ones? I know nothing about computers but have the impression an old macbook is a very well built thing.

I’ve bought three MacBook Airs, all the same except the later one with a bigger memory, lost the first two for two different car robberies, but this current one has endured a lot of punishment inside my bike’s pannier and works like new.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Pedro said:

What did you do to have so many old ones? I know nothing about computers but have the impression an old macbook is a very well built thing.

I’ve bought three MacBook Airs, all the same except the later one with a bigger memory, lost the first two for two different car robberies, but this current one has endured a lot of punishment inside my bike’s pannier and works like new.

Different sizes, ages and specs plus different family members using them and moving on.    From memory there is a

1 x 2006 11" Macbook Air.

3 x 13" Macbook Pros (2009, 2010 and 2012)  Oldest daughter uses the 2012.

3 x 15" Macbook Pros (2006, 2009 and 2015)  Youngest daughter uses the 2015.

A 2021 13" M1 Macbook Air which is my current Lappy. I would love a new 14" Macbook Pro but can't justify the cost as the M1 Air is still very quick. Also my daughters would spill blood over who got the M1. 

I have been lucky in that they just haven't died after I wanted or needed something else.   Only the 2006 Lappy's are to slow to be really useful now, but still work fine.   Through luck and a little knowledge I have avoided the problem model years for MacBooks but won't geek you out with that detail.

Like you say they are beautifully made and while some are dated they  just go on. 

I also have a 2018 15" PC laptop which is HP, I think, it is a real piece of shit that I inherited from my step dad.  it is useful but I hate it and just keep it around for the odd task that is easier on a PC.  I have binned or got rid of numerous PC Laptops over the years.  The only ones I ever took to were Lenovo Thinkpads, but they all died in the end.

• Like 1

Been to see the daughter over the weekend and she offered us back my old iMac and Mandi’s Mac book. Told her to do the factory settings thing, give them a wipe over and sell them. Both still working perfectly but old tech so won’t get much.

• Like 4

I have a old Asus laptop somewhere, power jack is kaput, took it to the shop,   65 quid for a new one to be fitted, i have loads of stuff on it, but not 65 quid,s worth.

• Like 3

Well looks like aI spoke to soon, as the battery died on Kermit.    Not a genuine Apple battery I will say.    So that triggered me and I had to sort it.   £30 for a new one and so open heart surgery and all is good.  I would have loved to fit a genuine Apple battery but they are just not available so had to go for another shonky chonky one, although to be fair the last one worked for 3 years so I am not to disappointed with it.  
See the puffy old battery that was blocking the track pad.

IMG_0905.thumb.jpeg.6d2c76fbc86106689720eda7e84f871e.jpegIMG_0906.thumb.jpeg.7cef85a458dab4abbbb1b8542fc8fa1f.jpeg

Any way all good now and Kermit is happily charging and forced his way back into the fold 🤣

IMG_0907.thumb.jpeg.59c775ff0a9b0539bb8765c31f692b39.jpeg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Saul said:

Well looks like aI spoke to soon, as the battery died on Kermit.    Not a genuine Apple battery I will say.    So that triggered me and I had to sort it.   £30 for a new one and so open heart surgery and all is good.  I would have loved to fit a genuine Apple battery but they are just not available so had to go for another shonky chonky one, although to be fair the last one worked for 3 years so I am not to disappointed with it.  
See the puffy old battery that was blocking the track pad.

IMG_0905.thumb.jpeg.6d2c76fbc86106689720eda7e84f871e.jpegIMG_0906.thumb.jpeg.7cef85a458dab4abbbb1b8542fc8fa1f.jpeg

Any way all good now and Kermit is happily charging and forced his way back into the fold 🤣

IMG_0907.thumb.jpeg.59c775ff0a9b0539bb8765c31f692b39.jpeg

Chris Farley Idk GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Catteeclan said:

Thinking about fitting a ssd hard drive to my Mac, apple want £1000 for one.:classic_laugh:

Go to your local computer store they will do it mate.    Decent SSD's cost between 50 and 100 quid.  Should only cost £200 tops if you pay them to do it, probably less.  Apple prices are mental.   

There are loads of videos on Youtube showing you how to do it, including cloning your old drive or doing  a fresh Mac OS install.  Christ if you were feeling brave you could get the latest Mac OS  to put on you old mac using Legacy Patcher.    Not overly hard if you are a bit tech savvy, if not a local guy will be around to do it for you.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saul said:

Go to your local computer store they will do it mate.    Decent SSD's cost between 50 and 100 quid.  Should only cost £200 tops if you pay them to do it, probably less.  Apple prices are mental.   

There are loads of videos on Youtube showing you how to do it, including cloning your old drive or doing  a fresh Mac OS install.  Christ if you were feeling brave you could get the latest Mac OS  to put on you old mac using Legacy Patcher.    Not overly hard if you are a bit tech savvy, if not a local guy will be around to do it for you.   

Already been looking around and yes, much more realistic prices.

• Like 1