There are thieving baskets everywhere but this one takes the biscuit

boboneleg

2 minutes ago, Six30 said:

Black lives matter... rotten to the core 

It seems so doesn't it.  I'd like to ask all those do-gooder white liberals that chucked Colston's statue in the docks what they think of her .................

• Like 1

They probably quite rightly think she’s scum..

but not quite the same level of scum that bought and sold people like cattle and saw tens of thousands of people wrenched from their homes and sold into slavery, many of whom died on the ships they were being transported on, those sorts got to make a so much money they could give enough away to have a fabulous statue.

I wouldn’t be applauding either. I’m glad it’s gone. 

• Like 2

So how far do we have to go back and apologise for our past then . Should all Italians be apologising for the Roman slave traders ?

Half the twats that go on about this stuff just do it to make themselves feel better.

All slavery is wrong and it’s happening right now in a town near you , it would be more relevant to shout and protest about that .

• Like 7

Like this place, we're all slaves to pete... just he's not been mindful enough to charge us.

Just think of the kind of Gin Palace he could have been spending his retirement in if he had.

Ocean Chilling GIF by Clarity Experiences

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

So how far do we have to go back and apologise for our past then . Should all Italians be apologising for the Roman slave traders ?

Half the twats that go on about this stuff just do it to make themselves feel better.

All slavery is wrong and it’s happening right now in a town near you , it would be more relevant to shout and protest about that .

Hmm bit of a polarising post. You in charge of click bait now? 😆

I understand what you mean but personally I don’t expect anyone to be happy about walking past a statue celebrating a person who was directly responsible for enslavement and death. Historically this wasn’t long ago and many will know their direct ancestry. 

There are always twats eager to jump on any bandwagon. I wouldn’t be distracted by them. Look at what happened and a decide- was this ok? If not it’s ok to say sorry.

Perhaps a nice statue of Banksy would work?😜

• Like 1

Yep, what she did was unforgivable. I'm now waiting for the same outrage with Captain Tom's daughter, who did the same sort of thing, but on a grander scale? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

They probably quite rightly think she’s scum..

but not quite the same level of scum that bought and sold people like cattle and saw tens of thousands of people wrenched from their homes and sold into slavery, many of whom died on the ships they were being transported on, those sorts got to make a so much money they could give enough away to have a fabulous statue.

I wouldn’t be applauding either. I’m glad it’s gone. 

Everything that you've been told about slavery is a lie.

3c8d33f8202bd106.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tango said:

Yep, what she did was unforgivable. I'm now waiting for the same outrage with Captain Tom's daughter, who did the same sort of thing, but on a grander scale? 

That she did, but for some reason some folk are vilified and some are excused from being total arse——-

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

That she did, but for some reason some folk are vilified and some are excused from being total arse——-

millions are in slavery round the world now ... china, india etc... when do you hear the outcry about whats going on now ... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tango said:

Won’t happen, she is white upper middle class, if she was prosecuted and jailed then it would open the door for politicians who misappropriate millions during covid to be prosecuted as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Six30 said:

millions are in slavery round the world now ... china, india etc... when do you hear the outcry about whats going on now ... 

Not to mention the kids currently in your van.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Buckster said:

Not to mention the kids currently in your van.

They aint slaves the Haribos fool them in to thinking they are friends...

lMike Myers Evil Laugh GIF

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Six30 said:

So because slavery is still goes on and too little is done about it there’s no need to apologise for the slavery of the past?

What nonsense. 

Perhaps if people could genuinely face up to the horror of past slavery rather than immediately pointing the finger at something else awful whenever it’s brought up it wouldn’t be happening on repeat now. 

The discrimination and persecution didn’t stop when slavery ended. The attitudes of the past still affect the present. As demonstrated right now by people wanting to brush it off as fuss making or focusing on the lone wanker who ripped off funds.

It’s not the same as other historical horrors that had a line drawn under them, the ramifications of colonialism rippled on and on and are still evident today. 

The Bristol Bus Boycott was only in 1963 FFS. 

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

So because slavery is still goes on and too little is done about it there’s no need to apologise for the slavery of the past?

What nonsense. 

Perhaps if people could genuinely face up to the horror of past slavery rather than immediately pointing the finger at something else awful whenever it’s brought up it wouldn’t be happening on repeat now. 

The discrimination and persecution didn’t stop when slavery ended. The attitudes of the past still affect the present. As demonstrated right now by people wanting to brush it off as fuss making or focusing on the lone wanker who ripped off funds.

It’s not the same as other historical horrors that had a line drawn under them, the ramifications of colonialism rippled on and on and are still evident today. 

No , there is no need to apologise , it was in the past, no one alive now was involved and it would be happening now in other countries  no matter how many apologies you made , are you going to put your hand in your pocket to pay reparations for past slavery ? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Six30 said:

No , there is no need to apologise , it was in the past, no one alive now was involved and it would be happening now in other countries  no matter how many apologies you made , are you going to put your hand in your pocket to pay reparations for past slavery ? 

The thing is that the debt from the compensation paid to the British slavers for ending the trade has only just been paid off. So, as a British tax payer, you have been paying for it for most of your working life.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

What nonsense. 

So you are saying that you were personally involved in enslaving people? In that case you definitely need to apologise.

discover dwayne johnson GIF

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Tango said:

The thing is that the debt from the compensation paid to the British slavers for ending the trade has only just been paid off. So, as a British tax payer, you have been paying for it for most of your working life.

i been paying for dossers and  free loaders who cant be arsed to work all my life , and the last couple of years illegal immigrants in hotels as a tax payer, but i wouldn't  physically give em any thing out of my own pocket . 

Neither would the woke brigade .. hypocrite's 

1 hour ago, Six30 said:

People who are alive now are directly effected by the attitudes and wealth created by colonialism. Look up the Bristol bus boycott. Think that would have happened without slavery and colonialism?

Reparations are a thorny topic. Apologies cost nothing but mean a lot. 

If Germany had won the war (sorry yes Godwins law has appeared) there would be statues and monuments to him that I as a part Jewish descendant would find very offensive and want to tear down. No matter how much innovation WW2 caused that we still benefit from today a murderer is a murderer and not someone to be celebrated (well most civilised people think not) I’m acutely aware of the suffering of my Grandparents who fought and who’s lives were scarred forever because of it. 

My children never met them but I’ve explained who their grandparents were and what they did. So they may not be alive to them but I wouldn’t expect for one moment for them to be happy to walk past a statue celebrating Hitlers achievements and be happy about it. People know where they come from and they care about what happened to their relatives in the past.

Lest we forget an all that. Well when it comes to the legacy of slavery and colonialism we won’t even look at it, we can’t remember or forget it because most people don’t even understand what it did in the first place.

If you want a more current example have a look at what Franco did. His legacy is so painful they still can’t talk about it but no doubt their grandchildren will and then an apology would be least that should happen. 

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

People who are alive now are directly effected by the attitudes and wealth created by colonialism. Look up the Bristol bus boycott. Think that would have happened without slavery and colonialism?

Reparations are a thorny topic. Apologies cost nothing but mean a lot. 

If Germany had won the war (sorry yes Godwins law has appeared) there would be statues and monuments to him that I as a part Jewish descendant would find very offensive and want to tear down. No matter how much innovation WW2 caused that we still benefit from today a murderer is a murderer and not someone to be celebrated (well most civilised people think not) I’m acutely aware of the suffering of my Grandparents who fought and who’s lives were scarred forever because of it. 

My children never met them but I’ve explained who their grandparents were and what they did. So they may not be alive to them but I wouldn’t expect for one moment for them to be happy to walk past a statue celebrating Hitlers achievements and be happy about it. People know where they come from and they care about what happened to their relatives in the past.

Lest we forget an all that. Well when it comes to the legacy of slavery and colonialism we won’t even look at it, we can’t remember or forget it because most people don’t even understand what it did in the first place.

If you want a more current example have a look at what Franco did. His legacy is so painful they still can’t talk about it but no doubt their grandchildren will and then an apology would be least that should happen. 

sam winchester yawn GIF

Just now, Six30 said:

sam winchester yawn GIF

Yep thought that would be your response. Educate yourself you ultracrepidarian!

Or just wobble about the planet cluelessly repeating crap you’ve been spoon fed. 

Look at zzzak he does a lot of reading and.. oh no wait hang on

Tinfoil Hat GIF by The Tick

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yep thought that would be your response. Educate yourself you ultracrepidarian!

Or just wobble about the planet cluelessly repeating crap you’ve been spoon fed. 

Look at zzzak he does a lot of reading and.. oh no wait hang on

Tinfoil Hat GIF by The Tick

Do you work for the BBC by any chance ?