Tecky question

Gasmonkey

I have a 2021 Tracer 7GT. The book says rear axle torque is 150nm, this sounds excessive as my V-Strom was only 100nm. Bike shop says should be 105nm. Who is correct??  Answers on a post card please.  

• Like 1

My Harley axle requires 140nm but it often depends on the type of nut, if it is a castle nut using a split pin and it has independent axle adjusters on each side then the torque is generally lower, the Harley uses cam washers, the non welded side is prone to moving so the axle torque is higher to compensate for that. It also will depend on if you have a solid or hollow axle. 150 nm isn’t excessive, it may also have something to do with bearing preload if there is a split race bearing in the rear wheel, although generally a split race bearing will gain adequate preload at anything over 100nm.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gasmonkey said:

I have a 2021 Tracer 7GT. The book says rear axle torque is 150nm, this sounds excessive as my V-Strom was only 100nm. Bike shop says should be 105nm. Who is correct??  Answers on a post card please.  

That does definitely sound excessive, I'd say the book is a typo it wouldn't take much to typo 105 to 150 I'd go with bike shop.

For reference the busa rear axle is 97.5nm so you'd be best not to go anywhere near 150nm unless your fine with a stripped tread at best 

3 hours ago, Gasmonkey said:

Yes 150nm on my 2018 gt and I've took it up to that serval times without a prob.

Could always call the dealers to check.

• Like 2