Mash X-Trail 650 Review

Admin

8 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Built by Shineray! 

What could go wrong?

I know, yet I keep looking at them. It’s your fault.

• Haha 3

I must admit I do like the look of the X-Ride but what put me off was looking at one closely at Thor motorcycles.  They have two there a white and  a black.  The black one sits in the porch which can be blown with a bit of weather during the day.   There was rust on it everywhere, and as far as I know it has never been ridden in the rain or salt this rust is just from spending time under cover of the porch.    Now I know you can deal with this I ran a Chinky 125 to commute on for 4 years and used a lot of ACF50, there was next to no rust on it when I sold it with 12k on the clock but I bought it for £700 in a box so I didn't expect much.   For over 5k I would expect much more.  

4 minutes ago, Saul said:

I must admit I do like the look of the X-Ride but what put me off was looking at one closely at Thor motorcycles.  They have two there a white and  a black.  The black one sits in the porch which can be blown with a bit of weather during the day.   There was rust on it everywhere, and as far as I know it has never been ridden in the rain or salt this rust is just from spending time under cover of the porch.    Now I know you can deal with this I ran a Chinky 125 to commute on for 4 years and used a lot of ACF50, there was next to no rust on it when I sold it with 12k on the clock but I bought it for £700 in a box so I didn't expect much.   For over 5k I would expect much more.  

You have said that previously and that is what puts me off, maybe the finish will improve over time, I’ll keep watching. If I bought one it would primarily be a winter bike so the finish is important.

• Like 2

Just now, Buckster said:

You have said that previously and that is what puts me off, maybe the finish will improve over time, I’ll keep watching. If I bought one it would primarily be a winter bike so the finish is important.

Other have remarked on that in the video comments on YT.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Other have remarked on that in the video comments on YT.

Your BMW was made in the same factory but it didn’t rust, then again your BMW never got wet.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Buckster said:

Your BMW was made in the same factory but it didn’t rust, then again your BMW never got wet.

Shineray and Loncin are different companies!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Edward Collings

2 hours ago (edited)

Please save your money, this bike is built by a Chinese manufacturer called Shineray. I owned the Mash Trail 400, the faults with that bike are present on this bike. Mild steel painted black exhaust will rust very quickly and take many hours of your time cutting back and 're-painting to keep it presentable. The fast ace front forks (same on my 400) replacement parts can not be ordered easily in the UK and the chrome finish is very poor, one winter has left mine pitted and rusty. The spring rubs internally turning fork oil to dark mess within a few months of use. Ordering parts online Mash will not post any order below £150. The green zinc plating again will not last a winter. 5K is too much, the Royal Enfields, Zontes, and the Indian built KTM's/Husqvarna are far superior and you actually get parts (not talking about accessories). I've owned mine for 3 years, I paid £1000, if this bike was £3000-£4000 it's still only a maybe

Show less

I reckon that's an interesting review.   I am sure you could run a Mash it would just need more attention than you would probably want to give a winter hack. Budget for a compressor and buy ACF50 or similar by the gallon.   

You could get a Honda CL500 for £500 more.   Or get a really nice low miles Dominator, XT, DR, KL or even MZ Mastiff if it had to be a single with some time and effort.     

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saul said:

I reckon that's an interesting review.   I am sure you could run a Mash it would just need more attention than you would probably want to give a winter hack. Budget for a compressor and buy ACF50 or similar by the gallon.   

You could get a Honda CL500 for £500 more.   Or get a really nice low miles Dominator, XT, DR, KL or even MZ Mastiff if it had to be a single with some time and effort.     

Yeah but, if you get a CL500 then you have to be prepared to do bum sex.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Skippy said:

What puts me off is the very short service intervals of 2,500 miles with a valve check every 3,000 miles. For that reason they can rammit.

2000 mile on the dominator which is supposed to be the same engine. i doubt if you have to check the valves that often in reality and if you do its a 20 minute job

17 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

2000 mile on the dominator which is supposed to be the same engine. i doubt if you have to check the valves that often in reality and if you do its a 20 minute job

20 minutes for you………..20 days for me 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Skippy said:

What puts me off is the very short service intervals of 2,500 miles with a valve check every 3,000 miles. For that reason they can rammit.

That would be once every ten years for Pete.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Skippy said:

Isn’t it weird that the service intervals and valve check recommended intervals don’t match?

14 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Isn’t it weird that the service intervals and valve check recommended intervals don’t match?

That’s what I said when I found out. It could be wrong of course?