Gay !! is it OK ?

boboneleg

The acid test is would you say it in real life?

I would......you're not being homophobic just by saying the word "Gay".

In the same way you're not being anti-semitic just by saying the word "Jew".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Are we talking about women with penies.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

I agree Pete, there are plenty of peeps about who refer to each other as gay.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

It’s not really an acid test to say something IRL people say all sorts of shite. 

2 minutes ago, Marcel said:

Are we talking about women with penis?

Not specifically Marcel......but if you want to confess something then carry on.

• Haha 2

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

It’s not really an acid test to say something IRL people say all sorts of shite. 

So why do some peeps get so offended by the word gay , it meant something completely different when my Nan used to say it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Totally agree it's a just word it's the way you use it makes a difference, like the word fuck, you can tell someone to fuck off and the way you use that word determines whether it is offensive or a bit of fun to someone

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The word gay has no negative connotations in itself......it's the sentiment you might express about it that could be perceived as homophobic.

4 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

So why do some peeps get so offended by the word gay , it meant something completely different when my Nan used to say it.

your probably find the people who get offended by it aint  gay... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Six30 said:

your probably find the people who get offended by it aint  gay... 

James in Brum? You offended him you annoying cunt!

Awkward Season 9 GIF by The Office

• Haha 3

I wouldn’t expect this forum to come to any other conclusion than it’s fine because thats what you were brought up with.

But mostly you’re using the word gay as an insult. This reinforces it as having negative connotations. ie being gay it’s something to be avoided. 

You think cos you don’t mean any harm it doesn’t cause any. 

The younger generation are far more savvy about how the language they use impacts the people around them.

Young people can’t fail to pick up on something being gay not being a good thing. And 10% ish of them will be gay so it’s not a great message.

You’ll find older gay men and women who grew up with it and aren’t particularly bothered same way as I put up with sexist bullshit that younger women won’t. Doesn’t make it right. 

• Like 2

I wouldn’t expect this forum to come to any others conclusion than it’s fine because thats what you were brought up with.

But mostly you’re using the word gay as an insult. This reinforces it as having negative connotations. ie being gay it’s something to be avoided. 

The younger generation are far more savvy about how the language they use impacts the people around them.

Young people can’t fail to pick up on something be gay not being a good thing. And 10% ish of them will be gay so it’s not a great message.

You’ll find older gay men and women who grew up with it and aren’t particularly bothered same way as I put up with sexist bullshit that younger women won’t. Doesn’t make it right. 

I don't know if you read my post before Bob deleted it but my 18 year old apprentice is a lesbian and called something gay when i said she shouldn't say that her reply was i can because i'm gay she doesn't get offended by it 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I wouldn’t expect this forum to come to any others conclusion than it’s fine because thats what you were brought up with.

Young people can’t fail to pick up on something be gay not being a good thing. And 10% ish of them will be gay so it’s not a great message.

The original word when I was young was "queer".....I think "gay" is a bit more pleasant than that.

So the language has softened!

• Like 3

But we know each other on here and we're not offended when we call each other gay, it's almost a term of endearment.

I get called all sorts of names (here and elsewhere) because of my impediment but do I take offence ?  No I don't.  because life is too short to worry about names .  More problems are caused by the twats who get offended on your behalf

• Like 3

Come on Pete you know it’s used as an insult. 

A laddish insult yes......there's no malice behind it.

6 minutes ago, XTreme said:

The original word when I was young was "queer".....I think "gay" is a bit more pleasant than that.

So the language has softened!

Gay people chose the word gay. I think in the 60s but Im not sure.

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

A laddish insult yes......there's no malice behind it.

Well you’re kind of making my point for me, I said you think because you don’t mean any harm it doesn’t cause any but it can. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I wouldn’t expect this forum to come to any other conclusion than it’s fine because thats what you were brought up with.

Young people can’t fail to pick up on something being gay not being a good thing. And 10% ish of them will be gay so it’s not a great message.

calling some one a fat cunt .... who is fat , is more offensive than calling some one gay who isn't gay 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Gay people chose the word gay. I think in the 60s but Im not sure.

Well you’re kind of making my point for me, I said you think because you don’t any harm it doesn’t cause any but it can. 

to us on here ?