ULEZ / Congestion charge on TFL site for older bikes

Renburanto

I've been living on London for 5 years now and have decided I'd like to ride a bike here in the UK as well. In Holland I used to ride a Honda VT600C.

Planning to buy a bike older than 40 years old this time, either a UK brand, BMW or Harley maybe. 

Since I live in London I have the whole TFL ULEZ and Congestion Charge thing to be aware of, something I still don't quite get. I thought 40 year old motorcycles are all exempt from both charges. But when I check registration numbers of 40 year old bikes that are for sale on the TFL website (to check which charges apply) it often states that both charges need to be paid. 

I don't want to be surprised by a high bill for these charges once I have bought the bike.

Can anyone confirm that all bikes older than 40 years are exempt from both ULEZ and Congestion Charges in London?  

Thanks!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Renburanto said:

I've been living on London for 5 years now and have decided I'd like to ride a bike here in the UK as well. In Holland I used to ride a Honda VT600C.

Planning to buy a bike older than 40 years old this time, either a UK brand, BMW or Harley maybe. 

Since I live in London I have the whole TFL ULEZ and Congestion Charge thing to be aware of, something I still don't quite get. I thought 40 year old motorcycles are all exempt from both charges. But when I check registration numbers of 40 year old bikes that are for sale on the TFL website (to check which charges apply) it often states that both charges need to be paid. 

I don't want to be surprised by a high bill for these charges once I have bought the bike.

Can anyone confirm that all bikes older than 40 years are exempt from both ULEZ and Congestion Charges in London?  

Thanks!

Hi @Renburanto.......I can't advise on your query, but you mentioned NL.....are you Dutch?

Cos my youngest boy lives in Groningen, he's been there for 10 years now!

Thank you for the quick replies. @Buckster how do I check whether the bike has been accepted for zero road tax and has had its taxation class changed officially to historic? This something the current owner of a motorcycle would know I assume?

@XTreme I am Dutch, originally from Limburg but lived in The Hague for a long time. Glad your son is enjoying Groningen!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renburanto said:

Thank you for the quick replies. @Buckster how do I check whether the bike has been accepted for zero road tax and has had its taxation class changed officially to historic? This something the current owner of a motorcycle would know I assume?

@XTreme I am Dutch, originally from Limburg but lived in The Hague for a long time. Glad your son is enjoying Groningen!

You should be able to check on the DVLA website.

8 hours ago, Renburanto said:

He did live in Winschoten for the first couple of years and was commuting into Groningen, but then moved into the city itself.

He works in IT, and as you know, Groningen is an IT hotspot there. So he's doing very well indeed, though by our standards the cost of renting and buying property in NL is astronomical.

What takes you to London then?

My bike is exempt, they don’t seem to have picked up on the fact that it is an import and does not meet the emissions criteria, they have just based it on age.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Buckster said:

My bike is exempt, they don’t seem to have picked up on the fact that it is an import and does not meet the emissions criteria, they have just based it on age.

Did you bring your bike back from USA @Buckster  ?

7 hours ago, Buckster said:

t4Efug=

• Haha 3