2022 Harley-Davidson FXRST Low Rider El Diablo First Ride

Hugh Janus

The 2022 Harley-Davidson FXRST Low Rider El Diablo is the second member of the highly limited Icons Collection.
The 2022 Harley-Davidson FXRST Low Rider El Diablo is the second member of the highly limited Icons Collection. (Adam Campbell/)

Harley-Davidson has just unveiled the 2022 FXRST Low Rider El Diablo, the second member of its exclusive Icons Collection. Built on the 2022 FXLR Low Rider ST, El Diablo models feature a heavily flaked and paneled paint job inspired by American West Coast customs, as well as the Harley-Davidson Rockford Fosgate in-fairing audio system. The FXRST Low Rider El Diablo will be limited to 1,500 serialized models worldwide, with a manufacturer suggested retail price of $27,999.

The El Diablo’s engine and chassis are no different than the standard FXLR ST. So this means 94.89 hp and 114.79 lb.-ft. of torque from a 117ci Milwaukee-Eight V-twin and the capable and comfortable Softail chassis. But paint and audio have a powerful effect on the overall presence of a machine. The ST in Gunship Gray or black feels muscular and understated, but El Diablo feels more like a show bike. Sure, it has the same hot-rod character as the base model, but now the bike broadcasts that attitude in new ways, both visually and sonically.

Horns and a tail adorn the Harley-Davidson painted tank badge on the limited El Diablo model.
Horns and a tail adorn the Harley-Davidson painted tank badge on the limited El Diablo model. (Adam Campbell/)

Inspiration for the El Diablo’s paint scheme comes from the original 1983 FXRT finishes, and a modern custom movement happening on America’s West Coast. Often called West Coast style, club style, or tall-bike style, this cult of customs is defined by aggressive ergonomics and high-performance upgrades, typically focused around a twin-shock V-twin platform. If you’re thinking of the Born-Free Show, or even hot-rod vans and lowriders, you’re on the right track.

But there is more too, as Brad Richards, Harley-Davidson’s VP of design and creative director of motorcycles, explains.

“I remember the early ‘80s, skateboarding, it was punk rock, custom van culture with incredible paint schemes like this, lowriders with paint schemes like this, and a lot of the status quo being questioned,” Richards says. “What’s interesting about FXRT is that it’s a bike that was really questioning the status quo of Harley-Davidson at the time. There are all these things that were kind of aligning in terms of the narrative of the motorcycle, so we just decided to lean into that era with the paint, the bike—it made sense. We really wanted to celebrate Low Rider ST and how popular this bike has been.”

2022 Harley-Davidson FXRST El Diablo models will retail for $27,999.
2022 Harley-Davidson FXRST El Diablo models will retail for $27,999. (Adam Campbell/)

Harley-Davidson debuted its Rockford Fosgate–developed audio system as an accessory available for the Low Rider ST, but it’s a standard part of the El Diablo package. The system features two 5.25-inch speakers and two 1-inch tweeters putting out a total of 250 watts. The system is designed to work by pairing directly to your phone or other device’s Bluetooth, not to the bike, so to speak.

Audio is loud and clear, but other than having a separate Bluetooth remote or a phone mounted to your handlebars, there’s no way to control playback. I have had bad experiences with my phone mounted to the handlebars, so for me, this meant that I had to either wear a Bluetooth audio system on my helmet, which sort of defeats the point of speakers, or start a playlist and crank up enough raw volume to ensure clear audio on the highway; so I was that obnoxious guy blasting music way too loud as I made my way to the on-ramp. We hope for better integration from a factory stereo motorcycle sound system and a solution that doesn’t rely on the user’s device as the sole means of control. Ripping loud system with deep rich lows and crisp clear highs is especially cool to use when parked.

The FXRST has only a small digital gauge on the handlebar riser, keeping the rider’s line of sight clean and clear.
The FXRST has only a small digital gauge on the handlebar riser, keeping the rider’s line of sight clean and clear. (Adam Campbell/)The clamshell saddlebags used on ST models are shared with the Softail Sport Glide, but mounted as high as possible for an aggressive look.
The clamshell saddlebags used on ST models are shared with the Softail Sport Glide, but mounted as high as possible for an aggressive look. (Adam Campbell/)

El Diablo models are built one at a time with hand-applied paint from Gunslinger Paint Shop, the outfit known for painting a large number of CVO components. Deep reds fade into bright ones; hand-painted pinstriping separates light panels from dark.

Riding the El Diablo around discreetly before it was even announced proved easier than some other pre-embargo motorcycles, so well does it blend into custom culture here in Southern California. As we rode through the Santa Monica Mountains crossing into Malibu, the El Diablo glowed in the afternoon light, gold and red hues shining as we carved into and out of the sun on Mulholland Drive. Everything we love about the ST is present, but seeing this wild paint every time I looked down simply felt cool—flashy, premium, and exclusive.

The FXRST shares an engine, chassis, and all its lovely handling qualities with Low Rider ST models.
The FXRST shares an engine, chassis, and all its lovely handling qualities with Low Rider ST models. (Adam Campbell/)

Creating desirability and focusing on profitability in H-D’s most successful segments—touring, large cruiser, and trike—are clearly laid out in The Hardwire, Harley-Davidson’s 2021-2025 strategic plan. Models in the Icons Collection are to be produced in limited numbers for a single year only, with a maximum of two Icons per year. This limits risk for The Motor Company while creating a sense of urgency around new and exclusive models.

El Diablo’s paint glows in the Southern California sun.
El Diablo’s paint glows in the Southern California sun. (Adam Campbell/)A small badge on the FXRST’s rear fender marks the bike as a member of the Icons Collection.
A small badge on the FXRST’s rear fender marks the bike as a member of the Icons Collection. (Adam Campbell/)

A badge on the gas tank’s dash shows the El Diablo logo with its horns and tail. Beneath it is a number plate, ours was 1148/1500. On the rear fender, a painted badge designates this model as a member of the Icons Collection. So much of the V-twin market is how the motorcycle makes you feel. At the extreme, choppers are not great motorcycles but they do evoke a specific and strong feeling parked or in motion. The Low Rider ST is a great motorcycle, and this special paint and exclusive touches combine with the standard stance and design to add up to something more. “You have to pay attention to function and form, and you also have to pay attention to emotion,” Richards says. “It’s something that Willie kind of beat into our heads.”

According to several Southern California Harley-Davidson dealerships, 2022 Low Rider ST models have been selling before they reach the showroom floor, many dealers having waitlists in the double digits. “In the 15 years that I’ve been full time in the vehicle sales department here at Laidlaw’s Harley-Davidson, the Low Rider ST has been the highest in-demand motorcycle that I’ve ever seen,” says Matt Laidlaw, general sales manager at Laidlaw’s Harley-Davidson.

2022 FXRST Low Rider El Diablo models are expected in dealerships by fall of 2022.

The 2022 FXRST Low Rider El Diablo is limited to a one-time production run of 1,500 models. Our testbike is number 1148.
The 2022 FXRST Low Rider El Diablo is limited to a one-time production run of 1,500 models. Our testbike is number 1148. (Adam Campbell/)Developed by Rockford Fosgate, the fairing-mounted speakers on FXRST models produce a total of 250 watts.
Developed by Rockford Fosgate, the fairing-mounted speakers on FXRST models produce a total of 250 watts. (Adam Campbell/)Like the Low Rider ST, the El Diablo features a mixture of matte and gloss black components which highlight the paint scheme.
Like the Low Rider ST, the El Diablo features a mixture of matte and gloss black components which highlight the paint scheme. (Adam Campbell/)2022 FXRST Low Rider El Diablo models are powered by H-D’s largest current production engine, the Milwaukee-Eight 117.
2022 FXRST Low Rider El Diablo models are powered by H-D’s largest current production engine, the Milwaukee-Eight 117. (Adam Campbell/)With only a solo saddle, the Low Rider El Diablo is not designed for two-up cruising.
With only a solo saddle, the Low Rider El Diablo is not designed for two-up cruising. (Adam Campbell/)At 6-foot-4, editor Morgan Gales was quite comfortable on the FXRST, though other taller riders may prefer forward controls to provide a bit more leg room.
At 6-foot-4, editor Morgan Gales was quite comfortable on the FXRST, though other taller riders may prefer forward controls to provide a bit more leg room. (Adam Campbell/)A cover on the side of the engine shows its displacement.
A cover on the side of the engine shows its displacement. (Adam Campbell/)Long and low, mufflers on the El Diablo model will scrape if you lean much past the footpeg’s feeler point.
Long and low, mufflers on the El Diablo model will scrape if you lean much past the footpeg’s feeler point. (Adam Campbell/)Upholstery on the El Diablo’s solo seat is a little loose, a complaint on the FXLR ST as well.
Upholstery on the El Diablo’s solo seat is a little loose, a complaint on the FXLR ST as well. (Adam Campbell/)2022 FXRST Low Rider El Diablo models are expected in dealerships by fall of 2022.
2022 FXRST Low Rider El Diablo models are expected in dealerships by fall of 2022. (Adam Campbell/)

Source

53 minutes ago, Richzx6r said:

It's the flotation device not a fairing 

Let’s see how you feel when one rides round the outside of you on a track day. 

Fucking Philistine.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Buckster said:

Let’s see how you feel when one rides round the outside of you on a track day. 

Fucking Philistine.

Would never happen I don't go grass tracking.... it's tarmac only for my bike

• Haha 2